Air Filter Comparison

Lots of members have talked about the stock filter (de-screening) so I thought that a picture or two might help. I just replaced my stock filter with a K&N unit. I chose a K&N over a BMC for the simple fact that my other bike has a K&N and I already had the cleaning and oiling kit. The dealers around here seem to carry nothing else anyway.

a shot of the "top" sides. You can see the "screen" that looks nearly opaque from this angle vs. the K&N.
IMG_0043.jpg

Then the underside of both filters.
IMG_0044.jpg

I did not take a picture of the airbox with the filters in it as the angle was bad for shooting with the tank propped up.
IMG_0040.jpg

The rear screws are not too hard to get to like this using a short screwdiver.
IMG_0041.jpg

A note in case someone was going to ask. The stock filter shown had 9100 km. on it: the dirt shown plus 1 very large dragon fly was remove from under it.

I think both K&N or BMC will flow more than the stock filter and the main benefit is that they are reusable. One thing that I saw with the BMC was a larger filtration area and less pleats when compared to the K&N. Does it make much of a difference? Probably not, but I'm just throwing it out there...

BMC Filter:
IMG_0771.jpg

I have the kn. Are those graves stacks? Love the Ivan look, have them too.

I have the kn. Are those graves stacks? Love the Ivan look, have them too.

Yes, those are the Graves stacks. I got a good deal on them along with the BMC filter ($100 for both) so I couldn't say no. Not sure how much of a difference they made since I pretty much did all the mods at one. I can tell you that the bike is a beast now :D

Lots of members have talked about the stock filter (de-screening) so I thought that a picture or two might help. I just replaced my stock filter with a K&N unit. I chose a K&N over a BMC for the simple fact that my other bike has a K&N and I already had the cleaning and oiling kit. The dealers around here seem to carry nothing else anyway.

a shot of the "top" sides. You can see the "screen" that looks nearly opaque from this angle vs. the K&N.
IMG_0043.jpg

Then the underside of both filters.
IMG_0044.jpg

I did not take a picture of the airbox with the filters in it as the angle was bad for shooting with the tank propped up.
IMG_0040.jpg

The rear screws are not too hard to get to like this using a short screwdiver.
IMG_0041.jpg

A note in case someone was going to ask. The stock filter shown had 9100 km. on it: the dirt shown plus 1 very large dragon fly was remove from under it.
Is it required to add an aftermarket fuel management system if stock air filter is replaced with K&N filter?

I think both K&N or BMC will flow more than the stock filter and the main benefit is that they are reusable. One thing that I saw with the BMC was a larger filtration area and less pleats when compared to the K&N. Does it make much of a difference? Probably not, but I'm just throwing it out there...

BMC Filter:
IMG_0771.jpg

More pleats with in the same dimensional area = great filter surface area and higher airflow. Note airflow is also affected by fiber/filter media area as well. The combinations of Media area, Media restriction and Media rigidity all effect the amount of air the filter will flow. I spent a number of years in the HEPA filter industry.

I wouldn't waste my time de-screening the stock filter.
I seriously doubt there is any performance increase by doing it.

I have a DNA air filter myself and apart from better flow the best thing about it (and other aftermarket air filters) is that it's re-usable.

Rather than straining the fuel line, I'd just remove the tank altogether. It's not that difficult to pop the fuel and vacuum lines off.

More pleats with in the same dimensional area = great filter surface area and higher airflow.

That's what I have always thought, (more pleats = more surface area)
I just wonder how my pipercross foam filter with no pleats compares? It does utilize almost all of the availible area when compared to the others.
getimage.asp
YA-1006.jpg
456_04.JPG

BMC Filter:
IMG_0771.jpg

sorry for that question , but isnt here the filter wrong mounted ? shouldnt that black rubber be down like in the copperdawg video seen on youtube?

Yes, those are the Graves stacks. I got a good deal on them along with the BMC filter ($100 for both) so I couldn't say no. Not sure how much of a difference they made since I pretty much did all the mods at one. I can tell you that the bike is a beast now :D

Hi NJFZ1,
was the deal you got ($100) from a shop or a buddy? I'm looking to to try and get the velocity stacks for my bike here in Scotland but the carriage?post is a killer.
ATB
Ewen

The after market air filter makes the most power when combined with the modded air box.

I just read Ivan's ECU flash thread over at FZ1OA and he reckons a modded airbox with filter would add maybe another 5 hp to his dyno chart of his FZ1 with all the fruit.

Back