Air Box Issue

Hey everyone I just purchased a new FZ1 2006 coming over the the GenII side from my GenI. I was trying to open up the airbox to see what shape the air filters in and maybe lube up the thermowax because it's not working.

However, after removing all the outside screws and the air flow sensor the cover would just not budge. Do I need to pry it off? Also I took a picture of what looks like a bolt/nut/screw right next to where the air sensor goes in. Does anyone know what this might be?

http://i44.tinypic.com/r7j1ir.jpg

Thank you guys, in advance.

There is definitely a Phillips head screw in there in the hole next to the air sensor.
It looks to be in bad shape so you may have to drill the head off it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I was afraid of that - the whole pocket was full of orange/brown dirt when I first lifted the tank up.

I suspect the bike must have been sitting for quite some time before the dealer got a hold of it.

I was afraid of that - the whole pocket was full of orange/brown dirt when I first lifted the tank up.

I suspect the bike must have been sitting for quite some time before the dealer got a hold of it.
I would be giving it a large dose of penetrating oil then let it sit over night,then clean up screw head especially the phillip driver part with a sharp scriber or the like before you drill the head off, you never know your luck

There's a screw holding the sensor and then one in front of that in a deeper well that holds the center of the cover but also the air filter bracket under it. Clean out that well with WD40 and Q-Tips then see if the screw is stripped.

Oh trust me I filled the whole with wd40 and scrapped/swabed for an hour before I took the photo. Ill give it another go this week an come back with results. Anyone know what screws in there if I need to replace?

If you can get hold of a left hand drill bit [they cut the other way] a lot of the time they will spin out the screw/stud that you are trying to drilling out.Also remember a firm tap with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver to jar the screw before trying to undo work`s most times.

If you can get hold of a left hand drill bit [they cut the other way] a lot of the time they will spin out the screw/stud that you are trying to drilling out.Also remember a firm tap with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver to jar the screw before trying to undo work`s most times.

That's what I'm planning on doing just didn't have the bit at the time and need to find the chance to take it all apart again.

I tried to tap the screw into the notch, but just couldn't get a bite.

Back