Aftermarket Headers - 1st gen

Any suggestions - perf.upgrade, sound, looks...

I already have racing exhaust, and jet kit. Any big reason to consider special headers, and if so, what do you recommend?

For me.. the extra less than 10HP isn't worth the $500+ you'd spend on a header... not to mention the loss of midrange power due to losing the EXUP valve...

I'd recommend keeping the stock header, and maybe adding a slip-on

Not yet....

Well, IMHO -- The most important thing you can do for your bike is suspension. I don't know much about a GenII, but handling is all about the balance in suspension between the front and rear in relation to your weight.

I would ask the GenII guys about what they have done.

I got a D&D Exhaust made in Ft. Worth.....Little too long and loud for me....Anyone in the DFW area want to swap out I would prefer a shorter one on mine...

Back when the first generation was new Cycleworld or Motorcyclist (im leaning CW) did a long term test and threw a number of go fast parts at their FZ1. A full Yoshimura header and slipon were installed and the bike was jetted by Ivans. The dyno trace they published in several issues showed that a full header system only helped peak numbers at or near readline. Seems like they made a modest gain from 9600rpm and up. That header barely equaled EXUP hp/tq numbers under 9600rpm. In fact i believe there was a 4-5,000rpm spread where the header lost more power than it gained for a 2,000rpm spread at high rpm. They were doing frequent track days so they liked that header. I passed on buying one. Theres a reason why the boffins at Yamaha did the EXUP and exclaimed it on R1 and Fazer decals. In other words you might gain a couple ponys for 2,000rpm but you lose a couple ponys for 5,000rpm. Not a very good trade on the street or a novice track day rider IMO. A header does look trick. :lurking:

Yea, on the Gen I bikes ditching the EXUP is a big mistake for a street bike. You'll never get that bottom end torque back no matter what you do.

And this applies to just about all Yamahas that used the EXUP in the collector (FZR1000, YZF750, YZF1000, R1, Gen I FZ1)...if you want good driveability on the street just put on a slip-on and leave the stock header (and properly functioning EXUP) alone.

Both Ivan and Dale Walker have dyno charts you can look at. Both show torque dips below 4000 RPM and gains thereafter. 4000 RPS is about 58 MPH in top gear with stock gearing. If you've got smaller front sprocket this will put you under 55 MPH at 4000 RPM. I can live with that. Gears 1-4 would mean torque is above stock headers at piddling speeds.

Back