AFTERMARKET HANDLEBARS ? Any Advice

Be prepared to factor in extra money for bar end weights. Often the replacement bars have a different internal diameter. Some of the non standard weights are not as heavy (ali rather than steel) so vibrations will be worse through the bars. One of my mates had to get the OE weights machined down to fit as the vibes were so bad.

on my 06, I put the dirt pro tapers, low bars, with their low mounts. I had to drill out the clamp bushings a little, and it did take awhile, slowly backing up in drill size until I reached a point to insert the mount bolt.

No need for bar ends.

Had to remove a couple cable stays to enable increase slack to fit throttle/clutch on new bars.

I left the stock bar length, but some may want to remove an inch or so.

End result is improved twistie turns and room for bar mirrors, beltronics, and camera, if I want to run one. Also, these dirt bars are way stronger than the stock bars.

Color black, which goes well with the bike.

con: splitting lanes when tight harder, as bars are a little wider than stock.

Thanks for the advise what bars were they I am looking at the Pro Taper mini low bars with 40 mm risers, I noticed the bars are 775mm long can I trim them 25mm of each end?, I have read the wood low bend is good?. Can you keep the stock cables and hoses?.

Thanks for the advise what bars were they I am looking at the Pro Taper mini low bars with 40 mm risers, I noticed the bars are 775mm long can I trim them 25mm of each end?, I have read the wood low bend is good?. Can you keep the stock cables and hoses?.

You can cut off the ends, but I didn't need to do this. I had no problem using the stock cables and lines. I did use the pro taper mounts; they are lower than stock, but can't remember if they are shorter than 40mm.

With the stock mounts off, the bushings in the top clamp were too small for the taper mount bolts. So, pulled out my good sized electric corded drill, went down to hardware and bought a big full sized set of good drills, pull out the vacuum cleaner, pulled out the smallest drill that would NOT slide through the bushings, and drilled. After every full drill out, checked to see if the bolt would go through. If not, next size up drill, after vacuuming up all the metal filings.

My bars are the low YZ bars, just regular dirt bike bars. Use the regular dirt bike gel grips.

Took awhile, and I let the bushings cool off between drills, or if they appeared to be getting too hot during a drill out (smoking) as I didn't want them to burn up.

As soon as I place the levers and set the bar, I knew I had what I wanted. That was 30k miles ago, and I was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that I checked out another members pics of Rizoma bars with 42mm risers and they look sweet bit pricey though. It is good to here also that he didnt replace brake lines and standard fit ok.

You can go to just about any aftermarket cycle store or internet site and find bars. Measure what you have and how you want that changed and go from there. Make note that you will need to reroute/change cables to correlate with your changes. This will be your most expensive part if you need clutch/throttle/electric cables to complete your bar change. Although I'm not elated with my Gen II bars (too low for me) I decided to deal with it for now.

Thanks for that I checked out another members pics of Rizoma bars with 42mm risers and they look sweet bit pricey though. It is good to here also that he didnt replace brake lines and standard fit ok.

Just remembered. I still have the stock clutch cable, but I did upgrade the brake lines. I can't remember if I changed the lines priot to upgrading the bars.

Wanna give ya a head's up as a possible pia thinking that the stock brake lines could possibly be too short (of course, you could still cut off a little from the bars).

But you might as well consider upgrading the lines when doing the bars, as you'll do it eventually anyway. Gets rid of the brake line junction box under the bottom clamp and cleans up the line system nicely. Also, you can use a pin under the clamp front stand with a rear stand. Sure helps changing out the tires.

Went into local bike shop yesterday and looked at a mini Renthal fatbar, They had a superduke there so I compared it and it is very similar they only thing is getting risers I was looking at zeta risers there but they only come in chrome I would prefer black but the way they clamp looks good, I may end up getting Rizoma risers.

I would've went with the riz bars, but they didn't come in black. A yam am racer told me that the FZ track heads do the above. He outlined what several did, and I figured out the rest.

btw, I upgraded the sets to rizomas. Perfect, but replaced the pegs yesterday. (They wore out after 25k miles. Old pegs failed to grip new boots. Thought it was the boots till I looked at those old pegs closely. New pegs are perfect.)

Can't go wrong on the rizoma bars, unless you figure out later that they are too high.

Back