Aftermarket exhaust that retains EXUP?

EffZeeOne

So are there any slip-ons out there that are made to work with the EXUP in place?
If I went with a new pipe, I'd hate myself if I lost an inch-pound of low end torque, which is the reason the EXUP is there. (?).

So are there any slip-ons out there that are made to work with the EXUP in place?
If I went with a new pipe, I'd hate myself if I lost an inch-pound of low end torque, which is the reason the EXUP is there. (?).

Nope, you can't retain the EXUP with an aftermarket exhaust since the EXUP valve is part of the stock muffler. And don't worry you wont lose any low-end torque. On the Gen II the EXUP was just for noise control and didn't really do anything to the torque curve (unlike the Gen I FZ1).

Nope, you can't retain the EXUP with an aftermarket exhaust since the EXUP valve is part of the stock muffler. And don't worry you wont lose any low-end torque. On the Gen II the EXUP was just for noise control and didn't really do anything to the torque curve (unlike the Gen I FZ1).

I'm impressed Tony! But then again I was born a mechanical moron.

Not to mention that on the scaled down FZ1 (a.k.a. FZ8) Yamaha did away with the EXUP. :D They went with the longer and narrower down-pipes.

Ok, good to know, thanks. So, if someone had the OEM muffler, making the EXUP stick open would be a beneficial mod if you wanted a little more noise?

Ok, good to know, thanks. So, if someone had the OEM muffler, making the EXUP stick open would be a beneficial mod if you wanted a little more noise?

Well at idle the valve is open. Not sure at what RPM it closes a bit, but I doubt you would notice much of a difference in the noise level. If a nicer sounding exhaust is what you're after then go with an aftermarket slip-on. Oh and not to mention that you'll save about 8-10 lbs over the stock muffler.

Back