After Market Fuel Modules

Fine, I'll start. So you can replace the "chip" in cars to change ignition timing and so forth. I take it that this is similar for bikes.

Also, is this the function of a Power Commander?

Yes, PCIII is an after market fuel management system, but after spending quite a bit of time on their site, it seems like a whole lot more as well. Let me get back at ya, the dog just killed something and is apparently now using it as fur wipe.:eek:

i have debated this, how many of us are really winding there bike out that you would need that. or is it something that you need after modding? i confuse easy..:eek:
maybe i am way off on this one,:tard:, i didnt buy an R-1 for a reason , or 10. but i belive the FZ-1 power to be more then needed/safe for most.:innocent:
i am still on the fence about Ivans FCE, i need more info on that one. looking for any advice on FCE on a 2nd gen.
also ,anyone messed with there suspention settings/clickers?

Power Commander or Fi2000 you choose and tell me!

Yes, PCIII is an after market fuel management system, but after spending quite a bit of time on their site, it seems like a whole lot more as well. Let me get back at ya, the dog just killed something and is apparently now using it as fur wipe.:eek:

Sorry about that boys and girls, the attack of the killer pitbull was something of a prequel to a much more serious problem. While chasing the 85 lb bunny mauler, I slipped on the wet grass and went down hard. Surgery will be coming in the early spirng. I tore the rotator cuff, the labrum, and basically destroyed the entire shoulder AC joint. So I have been in an arm immobilzer for over a month chewing Vicoden like they're chicklets, and basically hating life all around.

The only upside to all of this is that i was able to spend some one-handed private time on the computer ( ok, you can insert masturbation jokes now, although thank god it was the left shoulder not the check writing right one)!
In my surfing I came across several nice comparisons between the Fi2000 and the beloved PCIII, and to my way of thinking it looks like a very close match between the two, both have good and bad sides.

The PCIII seems to have alot more tunability, alot more options when it comes to manually choosing what you want with aftermarket parts. It also seems very time intesive and I expect as with all things that require interfacing with my pc, well it is going to take some practice and there will be some going back and forth on adjustments. All that being said, for the techie who loves to tinker, this could be your fuel commander.

Fi2000 by Cobra feels like a better fit for me, I don't mind tinkering, but I will not stand around spinning my wheels trying to nail the exact specific set up by the dial-in method. Fi looks like it's a little more user friendly, and for those of us who just want to make the bike go faster or get better milage, this one really seems less complicated. PCIII just lowered it's price (for christmas, right..............) and now is with in about $50 us in price of the Fi.
I have a stonge inclination to go with simplier over super technical, if only for the reasons I have stated before in past posts: I like to ride not wrench on my stuff, plus I have always been of the mind that simplier is better. Less chance of me screwing something up by trying to inturpret someone else's instructions.

So in the spring when my arm actually can handle lifting a couple of wrench's and popping in a new fuel modulator, I will come back and give an update and my subjective opinion on which is better. Look for the add " for sale used aftermarket fuel modulator, hardly used only thrown in frustration once!" Unless of course the first one out the box works the first time, then you might just hear the babblings of a newly converted devotee:puke:

[QUOTE

So in the spring when my arm actually can handle lifting a couple of wrench's and popping in a new fuel modulator, I will come back and give an update and my subjective opinion on which is better. Look for the add " for sale used aftermarket fuel modulator, hardly used only thrown in frustration once!" Unless of course the first one out the box works the first time, then you might just hear the babblings of a newly converted devotee:puke:[/QUOTE]

LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR RESULTS MATE. HOPE YOU MAKE A QUICK RECOVERY,OH AND HOWS YER DOG? OR IS HE NOW A TROPHY RUG?:)

The PCIII seems to have alot more tunability, alot more options when it comes to manually choosing what you want with aftermarket parts. It also seems very time intesive and I expect as with all things that require interfacing with my pc, well it is going to take some practice and there will be some going back and forth on adjustments. All that being said, for the techie who loves to tinker, this could be your fuel commander.

Fi2000 by Cobra feels like a better fit for me, I don't mind tinkering, but I will not stand around spinning my wheels trying to nail the exact specific set up by the dial-in method. Fi looks like it's a little more user friendly, and for those of us who just want to make the bike go faster or get better milage, this one really seems less complicated. PCIII just lowered it's price (for christmas, right..............) and now is with in about $50 us in price of the Fi.
I have a stonge inclination to go with simplier over super technical, if only for the reasons I have stated before in past posts: I like to ride not wrench on my stuff, plus I have always been of the mind that simplier is better. Less chance of me screwing something up by trying to inturpret someone else's instructions.

racerbruce I agree with the philosophy. I installed a Dobeck Performance TFI over the PCIII for similar reasons. While I can't argue that the TFI is less flexible and maybe can't get to the same razor's edge in performance, neither am I Valentino Rossi. It seems to me the hassle factor of having to connect a laptop to change the FI curves out weighs the advantages. I can't see myself thumbing through a recipe box looking for today's ideal map. I have set the thing up and that is probably where it will stay for a good long time.

Best of luck with the arm.

TBH I am allways suprised at how much money peeps will spend on engine 'tuning' in the hope of a few more bhp. Yet so little time and effort on suspension. I ride out with a few different groups/abilities and its allways the same.Another R1 owner I ride with regular has pcIII, akropovic etc etc, and chicken strips about 1" wide. He couldnt get anywhere near my standard R1. The guys that can corner are way quicker from a2b, often with much less power....so unless there is a fueling problem like the much talked about mk1 gen 2 (does that make sense?!) then spend money on the handling/tyres/suspension first!:innocent:

Homer the "killer" pit bull

[QUOTE

So in the spring when my arm actually can handle lifting a couple of wrench's and popping in a new fuel modulator, I will come back and give an update and my subjective opinion on which is better. Look for the add \" for sale used aftermarket fuel modulator, hardly used only thrown in frustration once!\" Unless of course the first one out the box works the first time, then you might just hear the babblings of a newly converted devotee:puke:

LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR RESULTS MATE. HOPE YOU MAKE A QUICK RECOVERY,OH AND HOWS YER DOG? OR IS HE NOW A TROPHY RUG?:)[/QUOTE]
D'oh, as much as I wanted to choke that dog, I was in no shape to choke back anything but tears! I've broken a leg, had 3 knee surgeries, a prior left shoulder surgery (fell off a mountain in Austria), back packed around Europe for three months after college graduation with a 16d nail in my foot , and none of it has hurt as long or bad as this shoulder thing. :confused::(:mad:
Kill the dog, hardly, my wife says I was this close to being put down, I could scale the Sears tower in my underwear without climbing gear, but I would trip getting into the down elevator and break my neck. I have this uncanny knack for getting injured where and when it should not be possible to get hurt.

The only upside in all of this is the fact that my suburban Chicago yard will always be safe from varmits! If it flies it dies, if it's brown it's down, this dog loves to hide in the bushes (he's black and white and literally just blendes right in) and ambush any animal foolish enough to venture into "his" yard. Now if I could just teach the son of a bitch to pick up his own shit, he'd be damn near perfect, but I aint holdin my breath on that one!:hug:

LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR RESULTS MATE. HOPE YOU MAKE A QUICK RECOVERY,OH AND HOWS YER DOG? OR IS HE NOW A TROPHY RUG?:)
D'oh, as much as I wanted to choke that dog, I was in no shape to choke back anything but tears! I've broken a leg, had 3 knee surgeries, a prior left shoulder surgery (fell off a mountain in Austria), back packed around Europe for three months after college graduation with a 16d nail in my foot , and none of it has hurt as long or bad as this shoulder thing. :confused::(:mad:
Kill the dog, hardly, my wife says I was this close to being put down, I could scale the Sears tower in my underwear without climbing gear, but I would trip getting into the down elevator and break my neck. I have this uncanny knack for getting injured where and when it should not be possible to get hurt.

The only upside in all of this is the fact that my suburban Chicago yard will always be safe from varmits! If it flies it dies, if it's brown it's down, this dog loves to hide in the bushes (he's black and white and literally just blendes right in) and ambush any animal foolish enough to venture into "his" yard. Now if I could just teach the son of a bitch to pick up his own shit, he'd be damn near perfect, but I aint holdin my breath on that one!:hug:[/QUOTE]

:D:DGET WELL SOON MATE:D:D

About a year ago I was with the M109 Riders forum and a lot of those guys were really into intake and exhaust mods, accompanied with PCIII and other fuel metering equipment. Some got pretty impressive increases although I never saw a lot of bragging about how much improvement they made in overall rideability. My own experience has been that I would spend a lot of money and time to get any appreciable increase in H.P. and torque, and then I always gave up some of the street "quality" in terms of how well the thing ran in less than WOT opperation. The last bike I heavily modded cos me about $2500 in parts, including cams, and it got me about 12 H.P. and maybe 15 Lbs. of torque. If I hadn't dynoed it, I probably wouldn't have had a clue as to just how much or little I had done. One thing was for sure, and that was I didn't feel I got the bang for the buck and when I got rid of it I returned it to as stock a condition as I could because most people and dealers don't want a modified bike. I ate the whole bullet on the costs of my mods.

If you're into racing it may make sense, but be prepared to do a lot of dyno work to make sure you are going where you think you are. Seat of the pants feel can be decieving.

Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Fuel Injection Control Mapping . Is there any opinions about this brand. the cycle shop I deal with recommends these over PC . they state the PC's have issues.

Bazzaz makes some nice stuff with some nice features. Traction control (for lots of extra $) for instance. That said their offering for the GenII is quite new and I have not seen any members here or on the FZ10a site give a proper report on it.

On the other hand the Dynojet PC's (III first and then the V) have had fitments for the FZ essentially since its intro in 06. I have seen very few reports of "problems" with the DJ units and there are boatloads of shared maps available for just about any combination of mods.

Your cycle shop probably works with a wide range of MC brands and models and their recommendation might be based on their generalized experience. In the FZGenII world the PC's are pretty much the "standard" and has worked quite well. Get the Bazzaz if you want to go your own path. Have fun!

Back