Advice with a competitor.

So, I've been trying to search down a bike for my wife.

It will be her first bike so I don't really want to put her on a 1000cc bike yet.

Others I've considered:

FZ6 + FZ6r (obviously)
Ninja 650r
and
Kawasaki Z750s.

Out of all the ones listed, she's really digging the Z750s; though, they are impossible to find.

Advice/Comments?

Since you're having a hard time finding the Z750 then go for either the FZ6R or the Ninja 650. She should be happy with either one for a while. Oh and you can show her the White FZ6R with pink graphics (definitely marketed for women).

2009-yamaha-fz6r-picture.jpg

Recommendations

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R or 650R are great beginner bikes, IMO. If she wants a naked: Ninja ER 650N or Suzuki Gladius :sport12:

Last edited:
If you want sincere advice and not just lip service, think about keeping her safe first. What is her size, will she be able to reach the ground? Does she need something that's not going to get her on the ground before she gets around the block or is she actually experienced? So many young riders these days end up with machines so far beyond their abilities that their first trip is to the hospital. If she actually can handle a good sport bike or a cruiser, I checked cycletrader and there are a ton of all kinds of bikes in your area for under $5000. Does she really want to get a bike, get her training, and get licensed, or is this just a flirting thought because she sees you take off on your bike? I have two riding friends who went through this with their wives and they got their road credentials, neither ever got a bike and neither spend more than a couple hours a year on the back of their hubbies bike because they really didn't want to be riders after all. Their hubbies were the ones that imagined their wives wanted to be riders.

Fz6

My wife currently rides a 2008 FZ6 which has a lowered seat and a lowering link. But this is her fourth bike the first two bikes I bought her were just too big for her to learn to ride on with confedence. After much discussion she picked a CBR125 which was a great learning bike after a year under her belt on the CBR she was ready to move up to FZ6. Then we spent another $500.00 to lower the seat and suspension.

I am an MTP instructor and I am a firm believer most people can learn to ride bike but they must be confortable on the bike, go slow and practice, practice and practice and go slow. Too many people today want to buy the biggest bike possible to start on. This is usually a big mistake as it can up being their last bike they ever ride.

The FZ6R is a beautiful bike and a nice second bike to move up to. Depending on your skill level but I personally don't believe it to be a sarter bike as some people do. :)

The FZ6R make 66 HP at the rear wheel. Not over powered. I don't think new riders must have a 45HP motorcycle as their first. Perhaps there are some that do. I think that any responsible adult with an ounce of instinct for self preservation and a healthy respect for the inherent dangers in this sport will be fine on an FZ6R or an 650R.

You and your wife know best how to judge risk for yourselves. It really does come down to the individual. I will often make different based on the person and how well I know them.

Last edited:
I have ridden the Ninja 250 and FZ6R and both are really tame bikes and being an adult and knowing limits will definitely keep her safe cause the 600 can pick up alot in the higher rpm range just like any other sports bike just not as much as many of new 600's. I say if she is comfortable on a 250 she would the 600 isn't a horrible way to go and you never know she might like it so much you won't have to buy her another bike for a really long time

Has anyone heard of Hyosung Motorcycles?
Hyosung Motors USA

Their 250 looks nice and the wife actually digs it. Hm..

They have been at the shows up here the last couple of years. I can't remember if they are Chinese or Korean. They look O.K. but I can't imagine the quality is up to Japanese standards. I guess if she likes it and you don't look at it as a long term keeper why not. On the other hand there is nothing better than a quality product that you can trust, be it a car or a motorcycle. Remember that "you get what you pay for". That being said, one of the motorcycle schools here uses them for their training bikes, most likely because of there price point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqDzeCVkX0]YouTube - MCN Roadtest: Kawasaki 250 R Ninja v Hyosung GT250R[/ame]

Doesn't sound like she'll be getting this bike.

They speak of a Yamaha 250, but I'm sure it's not stateside. :ugh:

Back