Advice, switching from Tiger1050

ostion

Hi guys, possible new owner.
I will get to the point.
I am concerned about the lack of response at low/min rpm. Will an after market pipe and a Power Commander cure it?
I have seen some beautiful naked, no fairing FZ1 out there. Is there a conversion kit?
Corner clearance, any issues, it does not seem a lot from the pictures.
Last, I currently own a Tiger 1050, anybody can comment on the differences, please?
Thank you, fellas.

fernando

The two aren't quite in the same category. The FZ1 is more of a street demon and the Tiger is a tad more sedate with a twist towards the rougher road. The Tiger is a very good bike and I think it will fit larger riders better than the FZ1. The Tiger is a bit more pricey and not quite as powerful and I doubt it's as quick handling as the FZ1 either. I think your riding style may have more to do with which one fits you most perfectly. If you like to venture up or down the back roads I'd go with the Tiger but if you live to carve up the good twisties, then the FZ1 is definitely your best bet. If I were trying to make the decision, I'd definitely ride both if I could.

He currently owns a Tiger.

I can tell you that with routine intake and exhaust mods, remapped PC III, and a 16 tooth sprocket, my `07 shows absolutely no "lack of response" at low RPM. Indeed, I don't need any more engine response. However, it is an inline four (not a V-twin) and must be ridden accordingly. With tuning, the Gen II FZ1 is a very strong, great-handling bike that does it all well. Get one now...! ;)

Iv had my 07 gen II FZ1 Naked for 5 days now and aside from some crap set up that it come with, changed the settings now on the suspension and un screwed the hero blobs of the foot pegs its a good bike. Watch the standard exhaust tho if you really getting it over, an aftermarket can sorts this out tho. As for low end responce its all good, mine did come with the FCE (fuel cut eliminator) so could not tell you how it feels without it. The bike has alot more torque than my 03 Z1000, its just alot faster engine all over, im very happy with the New FZ1 N and would say get one my friend :D

Thanks guys, my only additional comment is that you are talking about '07 units and I hear dthat it was only the '06 models that were seriously affected by this problem (abrupt throttle response.)
Any comments on the naked set up?
Thanks again

Some riders don't seem to be bothered by sudden throttle response when re-opening the throttle although I can't imagine that a serious twisty rider or track rider would feel that way. It can be a bit unnerving to twist the throttle very gently and get a disproportionate torque effect at the rear wheel when leaned over at 45+ degrees...IMHO. Fortunately, a FCE can (and does) fix that.

The naked FZ1 is cool and a bit lighter in weight but with more windblast. I'd love to have one.

My 08 had some throttle characteristics that bothered me at first but my particular method of dealing with the FZ1 is to keep it in the 4000-5000 band while riding around, which means keeping it in the lower three gears most of the time. Of course, I don't ride all of the time in 1/2/3. It will putt around fine at 2500 for easy strolling when your'e not going to be going up and down the transmission. One of the worst bikes I've had as far as throttle jerkyness was my M109R and that 1783CC twin could lurch like a bucking bronco when the throttle was opened. I just practice and try to get used to the way new bikes fuel. I had to get used to my .44 mag when I first bought it too. The first few trigger pulls were surprizing to say the least.

FZ1 09 here! No throttle problems at all! Coming from a Ducati ST4 and a Victory V-twin I find nothing wrong with the FZ1. Actually I love it's handling over the Duc and how good it is at slow speeds. You can walk the bike with ease.
Now the Tiger is more comfortable in term of ergonomics?
Why you want to change the Tiger? These are really good bikes!

Back