Advice on two up riding comfort for my passenger

Grippy cover on pillion seat

Hi, my wife is 5`4" and 130 lbs and loves the pillion comfort on my 08 FZ1. The pegs may be higher than a tourer, but are definitely lower than that full sporties such as GSXR`s and R1`s. Anyway, a fantastic aid to pillion comfort is the grippy seat cover which is a "sticky" net that stops pillion sliding forward. I also put a piece of sheepskin on pillion seat under the non slip net for added comfort...non slip net cover is on ebay for $20!

I did some measuring last night, I've got a Gen1 with a Micron slipon...

The stock peg bracket is practically touching the muffer as it is, so I suppose I need a lower pipe.

Are any of you guys on Gen 1's?

I did some snooping around the FJR forums and found this:

These move the peg out 2 1/2, and down/forward 2 1/2 inches, and look like they should provide enough clearance for her foot to pivot a bit and not lay right on the exhaust.

PegExtenders.html

I've got a set on order, will report back with findings.

There is a picture down the page of them installed on an FJR here:
Passenger Peg Extenders/relocators? - FJRForum

Another FJR part, these are straighter drop. They move the peg 1 inch outboard, and 2 1/2 inch down/forward. I'd need a different pipe to make these work:
FJR-1300 PASSENGER FOOT PEG LOWERS [7008 FJR-1300PFPL] - $79.95 : MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct

The Cycle-istic's fit, and clear my Micron slipon.

The stock FZ1 passenger peg is a little bit wider than the opening in the peg extender, and a little wider than the male part that slides in to the FZ1's frame mounted passenger peg bracket.

I'll have to do some modifications to the peg to retain the locking feature, Grinding a bit off the peg, and the center spacer.

The peg extender is drilled for a 6mm bolt. A 40mm bolt is perfect length on both the Peg Bracket and peg.

I'll snap some pictures after I get everything together, with the measurements of what needs to be ground down.

After that it'll be test ride time, sitting still the wife had a lot less knee bend.

Zach

Attached are the pictures.

Edit: She likes them...

The cyclistics opening measure .785.

The stockpeg assembled measures .832.

I ground the stock peg (Side without the hole for the ball bearing only) down to .740, as the metal retainer for the spring ball is .040 thick. I ground the metal bushing down to .780 and installed the pegs. To get a tight fit on the frame, it took 1 6mm washer, as they are a little smaller than the bikes peg bracket.

The cyclistics bracket rotates up, so if you dragged them the would lift almost straight up. They could be modified to use the same spring ball detent arrangement as stock, but would get in the way of saddle bags when retracted.

To get the stock pegs to rotate up, I'll have to grind either the cyclistics bracket, or the peg for clearance where it rotates.

Zach

Last edited:
Back