Advice on two up riding comfort for my passenger

sloppy

I am going out with someone that actually likes riding on the back of my bike. I have an 07 FZ1 with the touring windscreen, Throttlemeister throttle locks, Michelin PR3s, Givi saddles bags and tail bag, a yamaha comfort seat and a spare airhawk seat. Any advice on the suspension load to make this optimal for two up touring? I weigh about 175-180 and she is about 110-115. Also any advice on equipment to make it more comfy for her?

I found that maxing the preload on the stock shock was my only option with givi saddles, tail and passenger. The back rest I got for the tail case had to go, as it pushed her too far forward

I found that maxing the preload on the stock shock was my only option with givi saddles, tail and passenger. The back rest I got for the tail case had to go, as it pushed her too far forward

+1. Definitely crank preload to 7 and if she wears proper jacket with back protector, there's no need for back rest. She can lean back in comfort.

Lowered foot pegs would help a lot. That's the #1 complaint from my passenger: limited leg room.. and she's only 5' 3".

There are a few things that I found really help.

#1. Back-rest - I use my Givi topbox
#2. Passenger Foot peg extentions - I got mine from Twisted Throttle
#3. A quality shock

I have purchased a Corbin passenger seat and she is on the fence about weather she likes it or not. However, I have a stadium seat cusion that she can use on longer rides for a little more cushion.

I invested in a Corbin passenger seat and a back rest for my girlfriend she says it is allot more comfortable than the stock seat and the backrest makes her feel more secure, although she says its still not comfortable for all day rides, not sure what all can be done about that though

Bikes like the FZ1 are not designed for a second passenger, so what you see is what you get. The footpeg placement is the biggest fault and can only be fixed to a limited extent. Sportiness has its limitations.

Bikes like the FZ1 are not designed for a second passenger, so what you see is what you get. The footpeg placement is the biggest fault and can only be fixed to a limited extent. Sportiness has its limitations.

I agree with this statement. If your S.O. loves to ride and you want to do long rides together, best thing to do is to get a proper bike for it (hopefully in addition to FZ1 :D )

Yeah, they just stick a passenger seat and pegs just to make it cost more. Um no. It's just not WELL designed for American adult passengers.

my girls always on the back, 5'3 and 120, generally after about 3-4 hours is her limit. getting extra cushioned seats made and hopefully lowered footpegs to see if she likes it as well.

up your tire pressure just a few psi and stiffen your suspension a bit as well

Thanks everyone for their input. I agree about a few things, the FZ1 is not my or anyone's choice for 2 up. If we get to a point where she really likes it I need a better chariot then I will seriously consider an FJR or maybe a Connie. But for now, this is the hand that is dealt and I appreciate the advice. I am fortunate that she is a tiny thing that really likes this so far. We have taking it out no more than 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back but I am looking for 3 hour rides. (NC mountains).

Thanks everyone for their input. I agree about a few things, the FZ1 is not my or anyone's choice for 2 up. If we get to a point where she really likes it I need a better chariot then I will seriously consider an FJR or maybe a Connie. But for now, this is the hand that is dealt and I appreciate the advice. I am fortunate that she is a tiny thing that really likes this so far. We have taking it out no more than 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back but I am looking for 3 hour rides. (NC mountains).

3 hours should be fine without doing any mods really. We've done 360 (mostly back roads).. about 8 hours total. The only *issue* was my hand cramping up and that's because I should've been using cramp-buster or go-cruise.
The only *comfort mod* for my passenger was the top case.

Back