Advice on my FZ1

So guys, I'm a beginner rider. I purchased an 04 FZ1 due to it having a great price. Personally it's more than what i was looking for but i fell in love with it so of course i bought it. Any tips any of yall can give me besides getting a smaller bike or selling it? I plan entirely to keep it. I've ridden it a few hours and really it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as everyone acts like. Yet I know that I'm by no means a good rider so I'm just looking for some decent tips. Thanks

I did the same with an 07. It was my first street bike. Take the MSF safety course. Buy good equipment that will give you good protection from a fall. Be careful!!!! I can't say that enough. When you are tired rest. And last, don't try to push the bike to the limit especially at first. There is no prize for pushing the envelope of the bike or yourself.

Last edited:
ONE of many active Gen I riders on the forum

Present mileage? (service records by previous owner)?

One of the best things you can do is look at what you can afford to modify your suspension above stock. Traxxion Dynamics, is not the only source, but is a VERY GOOD source to handle that need. You have the ability to modify the existing rear shock for around 300.00 and then can replace with another make starting around 650.00-1200.00. Forks can range from around the same 300.00 up to 1200.00 (before you get crazy race type suspension).

There are still avenues to purchase aftermarket accessories, but most of the sales are now coming from other members and not so much the major retailers (but does not mean it is not available, just have to dig a bit harder or be patient).

As far as advice, smooth and easy on the throttle, and don't ever think for a momment that you are in complete control b/c the FZ will TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE if you start to get heavy handed on the throttle.

Congrats and welcome to the madness!

Adam

Last edited:
Take the MSF April 2nd. 0.o Keep it under 5k rpm... much easier said than done at times. its got 15k original miles on it. and im light... 140 lbs or so so the suspension seems a bit stiff to me. Already ordered all my gear just waitin on it to come in... prior to that im tryin to take it easy but sometimes i cant help myself :)

Just remember there are two kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who are going down. Gear up accordingly and put some crash protection on the bike. Most beginner incidents are maneuvering at low speeds so sliders can really be beneficial to the looks of the bike. I don't mean to be negative, a victim of gravity myself.

ONE of many active Gen I riders on the forum

Present mileage? (service records by previous owner)?

One of the best things you can do is look at what you can afford to modify your suspension above stock. Traxxion Dynamics, is not the only source, but is a VERY GOOD source to handle that need. You have the ability to modify the existing rear shock for around 300.00 and then can replace with another make starting around 650.00-1200.00. Forks can range from around the same 300.00 up to 1200.00 (before you get crazy race type suspension).

There are still avenues to purchase aftermarket accessories, but most of the sales are now coming from other members and not so much the major retailers (but does not mean it is not available, just have to dig a bit harder or be patient).

As far as advice, smooth and easy on the throttle, and don't ever think for a momment that you are in complete control b/c the FZ will TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE if you start to get heavy handed on the throttle.

Congrats and welcome to the madness!

Adam

No disrespect Adam but as a new rider he is way better spending that kind of money on good gear.
All the gear- full face helmet, jacket with armor, riding pants with armor, quality leather with gauntlet gloves and riding boots ( not motorcycle shoes).

Still have money left? Track day that has a street course- improve those street skills!

Also sliders are a must as slow speed tip overs are common and we know how much sliders help.

The Fz1 is no big deal if you remember the throttle works both ways, this applies to all bikes. Practice smooth inputs on throttle and brakes.

Now after a year or so getting to know your FZ then you can up grade the suspension.

Definitely take the safety course. I rode a long time ago just by buying a sport bike and teaching myself... then I laid my bike down and spent many weeks laid up in a bed with road rash and broken bones.

When I decided to start riding again I took the MSF course at a nearby Harley dealership. Not only was it a ton of fun, it got me my motorcycle stamp and taught me how to handle a motorcycle in different situations. By far the best thing you can do if you are a new rider.

I started 5 months ago on an 07 the best advise I would give is take the MSF, get good ridding gear including a back protector and be careful with that throttle!!! Damn thing almost left me in a crouching position in the middle of the street after I hit it for the very first time. I went around the block and parked it right up :) Take it easy at the beginning and then slowly build it up as your skills catch up. There are a couple of books I was advised to get and I like them very much as a novice rider. Total control by Lee Parks, Proficient motorcycling by David Hough and more proficient motorcycling by the same dude. Lot's of info and very useful as well. Oh and when you decide it's time for the twisties I'd advice at not ridding with anyone or just ridding your own pace no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT. If someone wants to pass you let them pass do not let anyone pressure you into going faster than what you can handle EVER.

No disrespect Adam but as a new rider he is way better spending that kind of money on good gear.
All the gear- full face helmet, jacket with armor, riding pants with armor, quality leather with gauntlet gloves and riding boots ( not motorcycle shoes).

:doh2::spank2:

None taken, and ATGATT is a MUST as well as a MSF course.

However, Mod fever is a devil of a bug and though one can customize their bike to their liking, I feel that suspension should be one of the first items down the road to blissful ownership (as opposed to one of the last).

However, being that you weigh 140, the stock setup may do alot better for you than it did for me....

As for sites, the forums are probably one of the best places to search for goodies. All you have to do is post a WTB post with the items you are looking for.

As far as a good springboard to help dial in what you are looking for, or a place to purchase......click here

Other venues:
Wildhair Accessories
Partshark
Bike Bandit
PJs Parts (Mivv/Rizoma/Misc)
Ivan's Performance Products
Factory Pro
Dale Walker
Traxxion Dynamics
RaceTech

there are others, but these are ones that I would consider reputable and have been referenced by many different people for good product/sales.

the original FZ1 Bible

Hope this helps.

Adam

Last edited:
Man i disagree with (been down or going to go down)...I am 56 and been riding street bikes since 14 years of age...Other than dirt bikes I have never laid a street bike down, ever!!..May wreck tomorrow, who knows....Some people just have no business riding a motorcycle....
When riding, especially crotch rockets like we ride, you got to watch out for the other driver....simple as that.....As I ride mine, I am constantly thinking of things that can go wrong quick....red lights, simple intersections....Never ride with cars or trucks next to you; pass them and pass them quick...always stay in the slow lane on interstates.....I get so wrapped up sometimes wondering what the other person is going to do on the road; it sometimes interferes with the enjoyment or riding period....Long story shorter is that people do not watch out for cycle riders....thats your job...lol....Also when I was a lot younger, I think I was just lucky....lol....

I went 30 years without an incident. Then one morning on the way to work, on the wet gravel road I have to take to get to pavement ( I live in BFE) a black barn cat ran out in front of me. Granted, I was only going about 8 mph, but my natural reaction was to try to swerve to miss him. Bike slipped right out from under me, minimal damage, replaced the front fairing and the brake pedal. But still, 1000's of miles under my belt, and one little ole dump. :) Might I add I used to teach the MSF beginner course in Washington State. SO..it CAN happen to anyone!!!

your right it can happen to anyone...never had any animals get in front of me, but don't think i could keep from swerving to avoid...lol...you got to admit thou, it is a lot easier to swerve a crotch rocket than a cruiser....lol...

I can attest to what Missy stated. I too, rode for 33 years accident free, and that was through my "wild and crazy" years too. You can see why I was pissed to awake in a hospital bed last July not knowing how I got there. I never saw anything. One second I was riding home from work and then the next I was awake with doctors staring down at me, IV in my arms, and with only a cheap hospital gown as clothing. If you know me personally, you know that I am super observant when riding and just like mgosset1 said, I ruin the joy of many a ride by constantly having scenarios playing out in my mind. These days are much different than 20 years ago. Tons more idiots on the roads today, cellphone usage, eating, talking, and whatever else they are doing other than paying attention, make riding so much more dangerous. I hope that I have my "one and only" under my belt now, and that my days of waking up in hospitals are over. Lastly, even the most cautious riders aren't safe anymore, but we need to do our best at paying attention and riding defensively and hope for the best. It wasn't until I was down at Deals Gap that I could honestly say that I enjoyed our rides. It's a whole different ballgame down there as compared to New York.

I hear ya about being cautious....I ride the Dallas area; crazies all over the roads....The way I look at it is ...there is many ways to get hurt and life is short....might as well enjoy it....I got to have my bike; my wife hates it..She enhanced my life insurance bigtime with this FZ1.....lol....I'm just not happy when I don't have one in the garage...I probably don't ride 300 miles a year; but it's there when I want to parked on a float charger..lol....

Get the best kit you can afford - Helmet that fits your head, leathers which you can fit good armour to, well fitting protective gloves and armoured boots.

Must admit I normally wear an armoured textile jacket & armoured leather trousers, that's what I feel comfortable in.

You don't even have to have your wheels turning to get knocked off, I got T boned at a T junction & ended up in hospital.

Just remember - every car driver out there hates you, and its up to you to avoid/ ride around them, and you can't go far wrong.

Apart from that - enjoy your ride

:icon_beer:

Mally if you dressed with all that stuff on over here in Texas, man you would burn up.....Were talking major heat down here.....lol.....I always wear a good helmet, but other than that it's tank top, shorts and sneakers...If I go down there will be major hide loss...lol....

Back