Advice on exhaust system.

RavenFZ1

I've been thinking about getting an exhaust for my 2009 FZ1 but I would like some guidance from those of you have or have tried various exhaust systems for our bike. My main criteria are that I want a carbon or black can (not aluminum/shiny) and I don't want it to be very loud or "drone" on the highway and I don't like the ridiculously small looking exhaust systems.
The stock exhaust is a bit raspy and makes it sound a lot like a scooter IMO, so I would like a deeper exhaust note and I know any aftermarket exhaust will be louder than stock, but at 55+mph I would prefer to not get a migraine from a droning exhaust.
As far as looks go, a couple of exhausts that have caught my eye are the GYTR, akroprovic and mivv in carbon/black, but I have no idea how loud these exhausts are. I know it is pretty much a given that the EXUP valve will be removed for any slip-on exhaust, but does the o2 sensor generally stay in place? Also, do any slip-ons interfere with the center stand? Lastly, is it pretty much a given that I'm going to lose some gas mileage after removing the EXUP (since EXUP claims to improve mileage)?
Any advice and feedback is appreciated.

Stay away from the 2 brothers pipe. It's got almost everything you're not looking for. Cosmetically, it's a decent looker. Loud wise though, it's very loud. With the p1x silencer tip, it's better, but it may still bother you at high way speeds and/or higher rpm (6K+)

There's a company in california called AreaP (areapnolimits.com). I had one of their carbon fiber pipes on the c14. Very mild sound, decent looking pipe. Unfortunately, I had not the means to fabricate an intermediate pipe for it to fit the fz1.

I can't offer suggestions on other pipes as the 2 bro's is the only one I've tried.

Good luck.

You need to handle the O2 only when you put aftermarket headers. You can just disconnect it at the harness rather than at the header. It will require a special flare wrench to remove and it takes a good bit of gorilla force to loosen it.

For the sound you can't beat the Mivv but for both the looks and sound you can't beat the now unavailable Micron GP. It has almost got a V8 like rumble without the db killer.

I wish the Mivv looked better. Those spouty exhausts are so 1980s.

Last edited:
I have the Mivv Suono in carbon and it's bloody loud without the db killer in.
It has a really deep sound but it can get a little too resonating at cruising speeds without the db killer.
With the db killer it still has a very nice note but you lose a few HP.
I think if I was to do it again, I would buy a carbon Akra and maybe cut a few cm off the end.

Last edited:
Another A+ for the MIVV GP exhaust. :yes:

I left the front cat in place in the header pipe. The MIVV GP pipe (with noise baffle) is deeper at idle and a bit louder than stock, but not at all obnoxious. I blocked the AIS upon install. Still get a little bit of popping on decel or sometimes when shifting, but not much. I've ridden my FZ1 with MIVV GP over 2200 miles this year. Gas mileage to date has been averaging around 42MPG. The best I have had is 51MPG highway. I live in a neighborhood where I didnt want my pipe pissing people off, and the MIVV GP is perfect. Its not loud unless you want it to be (revved up). Its sound great... nice and deep and no tinny sound to it. If I recall correctly the carbon GP weighed in around 4.5lbs with mid pipe, the stock can was at least 13lbs.

You need to handle the O2 only when you put aftermarket headers. You can just disconnect it at the harness rather than at the header. It will require a special flare wrench to remove and it takes a good bit of gorilla force to loosen it.

For the sound you can't beat the Mivv but for both the looks and sound you can't beat the now unavailable Micron GP. It is almost got a V8 like rumble without the db killer.

I wish the Mivv looked better. Those spouty exhausts are so 1980s.

Thanks for the advice so far everybody! As for the looks of the Mivv, it comes in different styles. I like the round and oval style systems but not the conical one as pictured below. Has anybody had a chance to compare the decibel level of the GYTR vs. the Mivv GP?

I have the full Yoshimura system with carbon fiber silencer. I agree with you that I hate the minature pipes which is one of the reasons I went with the yosh. Now I have never been a Yosh fan but I love this one!

I'll both agree and disagree with GPz1100 about the Two Bros. It is loud, but not too loud. My wife follows me on her bike and never had a complaint. However, due to NH noise ordinance, I had to mute it. The P1 tip does little. I went for the P4 tip. I got stopped at a check point and passed with 94 db. I think it sounds purrrrrrrfect! And it looks great too. Since then, Two Bros has released the Black series. Check out this: Two Brothers Black Series Slip-On Exhaust System - Yamaha FZ1 - Fits 2006 to 2010 Models

207da8feb2298f10e3c30b887edaaf8b_rough.jpg

I have the Akropovic Carbon Fiber SO (full length) and I don't find it to be too loud. I would say that it has a deeper note and does not bother me at all on the highway. However, I have yet to ride more than 200 miles in a day. My FZ1 is of the raven color scheme and I think it is a good style match.

I have the Akropovic Carbon Fiber SO (full length) and I don't find it to be too loud. I would say that it has a deeper note and does not bother me at all on the highway. However, I have yet to ride more than 200 miles in a day. My FZ1 is of the raven color scheme and I think it is a good style match.

I've put 350 mile days on my 09 with the Akra silencer with no problems from the noise. I got my hands on the db killer and it helps with total noise, but it still has the deep sound. The Akra comes with a small bracket that keeps the centerstand a little further down so there is no interference. The entire Akra silencer weighs right at 5 lbs (10 lbs less than the boat anchor).

Good choice for me,

MrHix

With a slip-on and no other changes, should I expect the gas mileage to drop? I wouldn't think the fueling would change much, but the EXUP supposedly improves gas mileage...

I too am looking at a new pipe. I love the look of carbon, but was concerned recently by some info on the Two Brothers site:

Always make sure the fiberglass packing inside is in good condition and not burned out, as exhaust heat inside an empty canister will deteriorate the Carbon Fiber sleeve. . . Also, NEVER dyno test your bike with carbon fiber mufflers installed - the intense heat and lack of cooling air can quickly cause the CF material to burn. Two Brothers Racing does not provide a warranty for burned carbon fiber.

This has me looking at a titanium can more. Has anyone ever had a problem with heat damaging their carbon fiber can?

Mivv gp is an awesome exhaust, excellent quality and sound.

I too am looking at a new pipe. I love the look of carbon, but was concerned recently by some info on the Two Brothers site:

Always make sure the fiberglass packing inside is in good condition and not burned out, as exhaust heat inside an empty canister will deteriorate the Carbon Fiber sleeve. . . Also, NEVER dyno test your bike with carbon fiber mufflers installed - the intense heat and lack of cooling air can quickly cause the CF material to burn. Two Brothers Racing does not provide a warranty for burned carbon fiber.

This has me looking at a titanium can more. Has anyone ever had a problem with heat damaging their carbon fiber can?

That's exactly what happened to my carbon Scorpion silencer on my previous FZ1....Thankfully they replaced it under the warranty :)

I've had my current FZ1 dyno'ed with both a Mivv GP can and an Akrapovic, both of which were carbon and there's been no problems at all. I think the burning carbon may be due to some companies using lower quality carbon than others.

fz1.jpg

I ordered this one 2 weeks ago, gonna see if they have it today, I have the exact same color bike, except for red rimm tape.

I dunno how to resize it lol

That Akra exhaust looks like it doesent have a tab for a center stand.. So the stand in that pic looks like its jsut resting on the lower links which is not good.

That Akra exhaust looks like it doesent have a tab for a center stand.. So the stand in that pic looks like its jsut resting on the lower links which is not good.

It has a rest tab.

I've got an Akra too and I'm very happy with it. This is my third Akra system and none of them are too loud. They are well made, very high quality, and a perfect fit. They do cost a little more but you get what you pay for.

Back