Advice from Dirt Bike Riders

If I don't get a dual sport then I have no way of getting to the trails. I don't own a car and don't ever plan on it so towing a bike somewhere is out of the question. Unless I can use my scooter to tow the bike somehow ;)

My SM was a great street bike and was about as good as you could ask for the urban commute. I only ever did muddy logging trails on it with the Diablo Rossos and that was terrifying and hilarious. I had never ridden dirt before that and haven't since.

Good tires make all the difference and would change your experience and enjoyment completely!

Id do WR250R, as its closest to a dirtbike for trail riding and can be switched easily with just different tires and gearing.

I haven't read much, but I hear the DRZ's are a bit slow and heavy for the size.

Not sure how the rules are in Canada, but a WR450 can be made street legal with very minimal effort ($300 kit) and passing licensing test.

Not anymore in Canada (At least in Alberta). They go by Vin at registries and the WR250X and R which are street legal are fine. The WR 250 F can not get licensed or insured for the street Otherwise the WR450 would be awesome as a dual sport.

Not anymore in Canada (At least in Alberta). They go by Vin at registries and the WR250X and R which are street legal are fine. The WR 250 F can not get licensed or insured for the street Otherwise the WR450 would be awesome as a dual sport.

Damn that sucks. I see people doing dualsports on 2012 wr450's and its tempting to me, but I prefer to keep em separate and not have to keep swapping stuff around.

Same here in BC. I believe it's a Canada wide change from Transport Canada

Good tires make all the difference

True, but therein lies the rub. Tires that are good in the dirt are poor on the street and will burn up quickly. If you get "mix" tires, they will suck in the dirt.

If you do this, get yourself something that is a true dirt bike but is just legal enough to get by.

In case you cant tell, I drink that orange koolaid. I have found my KTM 300's to be the best dirt bike that I have ever had, bar none. The power is controlable and the suspension is wonderful. Go with an enduro right from the start, as converting a MX'er is a loseing proposition.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3991-terry-ride-pic.jpg

If I don't get a dual sport then I have no way of getting to the trails. I don't own a car and don't ever plan on it so towing a bike somewhere is out of the question. Unless I can use my scooter to tow the bike somehow ;)

You live in Arizona, you can toss a headlight and blinkers on just about any dirt bike out there and get it street legal. Take advantage of the loose standards in your state.

Since all the dirt people are here:

DRZ400S or WR250R?

I've been tempted to explore the FSRs and back roads of BC on a dual sport but I'd only do it on a street legal bike and one below 400 cc for insurance purposes.

Everything I've read says the WR is lighter, better suspended and much more capable off road than the DRZ. It's also FI and the motor is almost as good on the road as the DRZ despite the lower displacement.

FWIW; I've ridden the DRZ400SM (owned one) and the WR250X back to back (demo ride) and they are definitely quite similar in street performance. The WR felt lighter and more agile, though.

The WR is the way to go IMO. The DRZ is a tank. While the WR is not a light bike, it is much more comfortable. The power of the bike can easily throw it's own weight around where as the DRZ is harder to maneuver. I hear the WR450 is just as good too :p

Consider a Honda XR 250 / 400. The whole XR line is built like a rock, and doesnt mind being ridden hard and put away wet.

Sorry to hear that the Canadiens have strangled the registration process too. For us in Ca, as long as it was registered before Jan 31, 2004, its grandfathered. Thats why Ill never let my 3hunney go. A street plate on a 2 stroke is rare here.

You live in Arizona, you can toss a headlight and blinkers on just about any dirt bike out there and get it street legal. Take advantage of the loose standards in your state.

i think you have AZ confused, we dont have loose standards, we have NO standards. sometimes its like the end of a night of drinkin and there is that ugly girl at the end of the bar, and well..... :dontknow:

we dont "need" turn signals. on my WR that would be a luxury. hand signals work just fine. thats crap you need in your state maybe, but not here in the wild west :D

i got mine legal with a head light, which it already had, a mirror, and a brake light switch on the front brake line.

this pig even passed emissions before it was no longer needed.

on a serious note, i have 2 sets of wheels, one with dirt tires and the other with more street dual sport tires. i think its a really good bike. if serious is what you want and you dont have a lot of exp, get a smaller bike.

but thats just my opinion

3 WR's

In OK WR's are new on the showroom floor already converted to street legal; lights and horn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Up Here there are 3 different WR 250's; WR 250F not street legal (tail and headlight only) considered a "trail bike". Legal on Forestry roads, but still must be plated.

WR250R and WR250X both street legal with all the required lights and a horn. One has 21" front with knobby tires, the other with a 19" Super moto set up.

You would be board of a 250 fourstroke in about 45 minutes. Don't even bother wasting your money.

Depends on the rider. Inexperianced riders would be happy with a 4stroke 250, but would out grow it if they wanted more in about 2 years.

My uncle has a CRF250X and it moves well. Doesn't have the instant power of my 450, but with it being lighter it still moves nicely on single track trails.

Power is only helpful when there is the space to use it, or it will just make things harder on the rider.

SSKY - if you ever get in the WA area, let me know and ill take you out and let you try a whole slew of bikes. We can find one you will like

Depends on the rider. Inexperianced riders would be happy with a 4stroke 250, but would out grow it if they wanted more in about 2 years.

My uncle has a CRF250X and it moves well. Doesn't have the instant power of my 450, but with it being lighter it still moves nicely on single track trails.

Power is only helpful when there is the space to use it, or it will just make things harder on the rider.

He is talking about riding it in the desert. Maybe if he were deep in the woods riding enduro or deer trails a 250 fourstrike would work for a while .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

He is talking about riding it in the desert. Maybe if he were deep in the woods riding enduro or deer trails a 250 fourstrike would work for a while .

Yep, forgot about dunes part.

For me, I hate riding 2 wheels on dunes. not enjoyable for me.

Back