Advice from Dirt Bike Riders

I'd put my wr450 against any bike, but it's a proper setup and suspension. I do the Odessa 100 with my wr450 and have no issues with fatigue from a Rough bike

I love it and wouldn't ride any other, and I've tried em.

It's all about the rider, but yes look at a lighter and tamer 250 four or two stroke. 4 stroke is easier to handle with inexperience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had a wr450, but I have had a wr250. The power is smooth and tame in the lower end, but it does have the torque you want. a WR250 would even be sufficient for you if you do not want to step up to the plate with a 450 or a high rev'd two stroke. Personally, a 250 two stroke wears on me really quickly when I stay in the powerband.

My 2008 wr-250 had a speedo and a few other features stock, tail light, headlight etc, so they can be plated EASY.

I could hit 50 mph in lower gearing quickly, so if you are riding wide open in some areas, you won't lack fun by getting a 250 of the 450.

Again, you guys are NOT NOOBS.

Light weight is your/his friend. And with the KTM adjustable power valve, he can get all the love that he needs for puttin around.

Heck, just the differance in turning them around on the trail will sell ya. Ssky, go to the dealership and try turning them around on the sales floor.

If your looking for cheap, check out a KDX 220. Its a two stroke, but for the longest time one of the best trail bikes. Its what my wife rides, and she absolutely loves it. She came from a TTR 230. You can pick them up for under $2000. I got my wifes 2005 in great condition for $1600 about a year ago.

The TTR 230 are a great trail bike, but not good for dunes. You need lots of power for dunes, and lots of constantly on the power. I honestly hate riding my 450 on dunes, but I just hate how hard it is on the bike.

For pure trails, the 230 will take you anywhere and some times a lot easier than my 450, but it lacks the fast power to have stupid fun. Those 230's though will climb some crazy stuff with ease and are very forgiving for a new rider.

Again, you guys are NOT NOOBS.

Light weight is your/his friend. And with the KTM adjustable power valve, he can get all the love that he needs for puttin around.

Heck, just the differance in turning them around on the trail will sell ya. Ssky, go to the dealership and try turning them around on the sales floor.

Good call. KTM's are nice, but to me for the price most users are not taking advantage of what they have.

Riding a light weight bike can be a lot more fun, and the difference in power is another plus for a newer rider. I have friends that ride street and think they can ride well, and get their ass kicked on my 450, so you have a good point. riding dirt is a whole new world.

KTM's are nice, but to me for the price most users are not taking advantage of what they have.

True dat. But that can be said for all of US. :D

My 3hunney keeps teachin me even after all these yrs. But thats OK, I enjoy it when schools in session. :flip:

If you keep an eye peeled, you can find deals. We just picked up a 2000 KTM 125 EXC locally for $650 for my son. I needed the usual stuff (rings, tires, chain & sprockets). But, its been fun getting it up and tuned with JR turnin some wrenches.

And the seller is now a new riddin buddy.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3894-forebay-ride-026.jpg

If I had 10 Grand to spend I would get the new KTM 350 Dual Sport, that seems like the perfect bike to me.

But my budget says if I ever get back into the Dirt Scene I will be getting a 2000-2005 WR400/450.

GS is to big for where I live, when I think dual purpose/ dual sport - I want to take it in the woods and only give a short tear if I drop it.

KLR is good for that, I used to have an XT225 - but not enough power to hop a log unless you pop a wheelie and push over it.

A KLR is pretty heavy, the GS is ridiculous. If I was riding through cannons and other cool places it would be acceptable though I suppose.

Like I said, you need to figure out what exactly you want. By design, a DUAL SPORT is a compromise.

A GS is not a dirt bike. It doesnt matter to me what you get, but you asked for advice.

Back in the Scott Summer's heyday, I decided to be like Scott and get a XR. A buddy in my club had just gone to the ISDE on the club team, so I figured that this was the ride. I found 1 that was the ultimate XR. CR500 front end, 628 kit, Falicon crank, Carillo rod, welded head fin extensions, Mikuni Flat Slide carb, custom downtube oil cooler w skid plate,Ohlins shock & street legal. I was comin off of a CR500, so I thought that I was gunna be the man. I thought that my 6'/210 was gonna master it. To make a long story short, no.

Your current size/weight doesnt mean a thing when it come to riding dirt.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Is there a good bike to get with relatively low maintenance to go out to places where a Razr could get, also on the cheap side of things would be nice.

I still say a Suzuki DRZ 400 is your best bet. Plenty of them out there and lots of aftermarket parts too.

If money isn't a problem then a KTM is best. Not sure on AZ laws but unless you are doing serious hard core single track dirt riding I would stay with a street legal dirt bike. Sucks when you have to haul it to ride or turn around when you hit the pavement.

You may find it's nice for running around town in urban combat.

Forget those piggy bikes above a 650 (they are heavy enough) as anyone can pick up a bike on the flat but when you dump it on a hillside or in a wash you will understand what I mean.

Last edited:
Light is Right

I still say a Suzuki DRZ 400 is your best bet. Plenty of them out there and lots of aftermarket parts too.

If money isn't a problem then a KTM is best. Not sure on AZ laws but unless you are doing serious hard core single track dirt riding I would stay with a street legal dirt bike. Sucks when you have to haul it to ride or turn around when you hit the pavement.

You may find it's nice for running around town in urban combat.

Forget those piggy bikes above a 650 (they are heavy enough) as anyone can pick up a bike on the flat but when you dump it on a hillside or in a wash you will understand what I mean.

Yep a used EXC 350 or 500 would be just the ticket. They run about 250 lbs (Weight without fuel, approx. 109.5 kg (241.4 lb.)) and have plenty of power. I could pick those up all day without having a heart attack. Unlike a 990 that just about killed me on Hardscrabble hill in deep sand. The picture below is after 2 buddies helped me get it up past the deep stuff that had it dug in to the top of the chain guard. I was almost sick from the effort.

On hard ground most bikes with good tires will get through regardless of weight. In loose stuff, mud or sand, the lighter bikes are king!.

Last edited:
Since all the dirt people are here:

DRZ400S or WR250R?

I've been tempted to explore the FSRs and back roads of BC on a dual sport but I'd only do it on a street legal bike and one below 400 cc for insurance purposes.

Everything I've read says the WR is lighter, better suspended and much more capable off road than the DRZ. It's also FI and the motor is almost as good on the road as the DRZ despite the lower displacement.

FWIW; I've ridden the DRZ400SM (owned one) and the WR250X back to back (demo ride) and they are definitely quite similar in street performance. The WR felt lighter and more agile, though.

honestly don't do a dual sport, too much compromise and they don't do either well. Suspension on a dual sport sucks for trail and barely good enough for street.

If you want to be serious on trail and street, you need one for each. My buddy has a XR650 and it has great power for trails, but its a pig and its heavy to ride, plus the suspension kills the body. Street, its just as bad as its not made to be ridden on street. And this is with different wheels and gearing for each.

Look into a dirt bike for trails. You will be happier if you want to ride aggressively. if just putting on dirt roads, dual sport or adventure bikes work, but more than that you will want a dirt bike.

Here is my riding a TTR 230 and my wife on her KDX220 - Winom OHV Tower Loop Trail - YouTube

Me on the wifes KDX220 - Riding wifes Kawasaki KDX 220 - YouTube

Just to give you an idea of how each bike acts. Really though, a decent 250 4 stroke would prob be great for you. Once you ride a 2 stroke though, damn its hard to get away from them, they are fun. I have a blast riding the wifes 220.

If I don't get a dual sport then I have no way of getting to the trails. I don't own a car and don't ever plan on it so towing a bike somewhere is out of the question. Unless I can use my scooter to tow the bike somehow ;)

My SM was a great street bike and was about as good as you could ask for the urban commute. I only ever did muddy logging trails on it with the Diablo Rossos and that was terrifying and hilarious. I had never ridden dirt before that and haven't since.

DRZ400S or WR250R?

Id do WR250R, as its closest to a dirtbike for trail riding and can be switched easily with just different tires and gearing.

I haven't read much, but I hear the DRZ's are a bit slow and heavy for the size.

Not sure how the rules are in Canada, but a WR450 can be made street legal with very minimal effort ($300 kit) and passing licensing test.

DRZ400S or WR250R?

I've been tempted to explore the FSRs and back roads of BC on a dual sport but I'd only do it on a street legal bike and one below 400 cc for insurance purposes.

Everything I've read says the WR is lighter, better suspended and much more capable off road than the DRZ. It's also FI and the motor is almost as good on the road as the DRZ despite the lower displacement.

FWIW; I've ridden the DRZ400SM (owned one) and the WR250X back to back (demo ride) and they are definitely quite similar in street performance. The WR felt lighter and more agile, though.

Me I'd get the Yamaha hands down, although both are good, reliable bikes. Tons of aftermarket for both, but I prefer the engine on the WR. I've seen both in action, and have briefly ridden both. The DRZ would be less money (new or used), and if I could find a good used WR it would already be in my garage, but they seem to really hold their value and I cannot justify the expense right now. The KTM (Keeps Taking Money) has my funds tied up until spring.

Back