Advice for Aussie Tourist - Apparel Store California

Coming to Anaheim for a work conference.

Decided to arrive a couple of days early, and drive from LAX to Vegas (baby), then from Vegas to Anaheim.

Looking for a store that will have cheap apparel - i.e. need a new jacket and riding pants, maybe some accessories...

I'll just be following the GPS - I think via Palmdale, although I might go via the Yucca Valley - so something along that kind of route would be good...

It will be my first trip to The US... so if people are feeling extra helpful, I would like to buy a local SIM card - mainly for Data... What is the best way to go for a 1 week trip? Can I just get it at the 7/11 or something???

Thanks in advance,
Darryl

Last edited:
Chapparal Motorsports in San Bernadino is definitely worth a visit. You aren't going to find cheap m/c gear anywhere unless it is junk to begin with. Prices for good gear are pretty much the same. But for selection Chapparal is hard to beat.

Welcome to the US

I'm sure our prices are cheaper than Downunder where everything costs more.
Cyclegear has stores all over the LA area with a big selection of gear. There is a store in Palmdale at 550 West Rancho Vista Boulevard, suite B.

You do get what you pay for so avoid the cheap stuff.

This place sells used gear: Home | Yellow Devil Gear Exchange

What size helmet are you? I have a couple of spare large sized helmets if you need to borrow one?

Why do you want to go to Palmdale? If you really have to go and need a fun ride I would suggest taking Angeles Crest Hwy to Angeles Forest Hwy. It'll take you over to Palmdale with a few twisties to make it worth while.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like Cyclegear and Chapparl are worth looking at.

Gear seems to be about 25% off Australian prices when shopping online, and taking a hit on shipping.

I need the gear anyway, so figure getting it while I am there is a good idea.

BTW, I'll be driving to Vegas, it was too hard to organise anything else (with luggage), but a couple of days after I get back, The Missus and I head to Thailand for 10 days of riding.

Gear seems to be about 25% off Australian prices when shopping online, and taking a hit on shipping.

Don't forget to factor in state sales tax (can be anywhere between 8%-10% in CA) which will be ADDED to any price you see advertised if you take possession at the point of sale. You can usually get around this by shipping to an address out of state, probably not worth it on small sale though. Sales tax is never shown in the advertised price.

Happy buying.

Hmmm maybe it's just me but...
Can't you mail/ship your existing gear to the hotel in CA before you leave? Call the hotel and arrange it. I'm sure it would be cheaper then buying new gear and your time management will be less affected which means "More ride time".
Just make sure you spring for the insurance in case of the worst scenario.
Enjoy your trip.
Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry if I was rude for not replying. Thought I had already received all the replies I was going to get.

It took so long to get through customs and immigration at LAX terminal 3, buy the time I hit the road I was 3 hours late.

I tried cycle gear, but the range was relatively small, and prices comparable to Australia. Not helped by the fact that the GPS couldn't find the address, making me even later and more frustrated.

Instead I just went to Vegas and acted like a kid in a candy store for a couple of days.

Back