Advice for 2-up riding...

kgc1911

About to tackle this demon, what should i know for slow tight turns?
For example if I stop at a light and I have to make a right turn, explain every little detail... Should I use rear brake heavy or light? Less engine more clutch play? What should I consider with the fz1? Any input would help...Thanks...
Also i'm almost 160 and my passenger is 180 she's uh a country girl lol if that helps...:spank2:

I'm no expert, so take my 'advise' with a grain of salt, but I would keep the reves up a bit on take off with slower clutch engagement and use a little rear brake on slower turns. I usually rev up to 5k and then shift 2-3 gears with one clutch pull. The transmission is close ratio, so I don't feel you loose that much, plus you can't really accelerate very hard with a passenger. The Corbin back rest helped with passenger confidence too, which in turn, help with riding 2-up.

I'm not sure I provided any useful info, but that's my :2cents:

BDazzler is spot on there, I ride 2-up very similar. Just take your time, don't rush anything. The key is be as smooth as silk with gear changes, braking, and throttle. Plan further ahead up the road than normal, it helps with the smoothness. Now enjoy he company!

Oh, and if you like talking to her, try getting a cheap rider to pillion intercom, it saves her digging you in the ribs when she wants to stop for a wee. :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Have you done 2-up on other bikes or is this the first time and you want something specific to the FZ1?

Generally, I haven't found it much different than any other bike besides the obvious, it has more power than my previous 600's and such. It will be important that your passenger warns you before she shifts her weight around. You will notice that movement on her part might make the bike wobble when you are going in a straight line, and will certainly adjust your line when taking a corner. So make sure she only moves around at opportune times such as when you are at a stop or while going in a straight line, and have her warn you first with a tap on the shoulder or something.

Taking any corners, have her look over your right shoulder for a right turn, left shoulder for a left turn, this ensures she leans and balances with you rather than against you. Take it easy on the throttle. More weight over the back means more grip on the rear tire, and also a tendency for the front to want to rise. The further forward she can lean or sit into you will make the bike more centered and comfortable.

Very easy on the throttle, and loose fingers on the clutch. Taking corners slow, just use the rear brake as necessary and make sure she does not shift her weight around. Movement during a very slow turn makes it very easy for the bike to get upset.

Honestly, as long as you take it easy, there is nothing to worry about. You will re-learn the bike 2-up within the first 50km and be nearly a pro after a few turns and 200km. You get a feel for it quickly. Be gentle at first and build confidence. Just avoid any hard acceleration especially in low gears, and slow and steady through corners.

Be very careful with braking. ALWAYS plan ahead because hard braking will shove your passenger into your back, and shove you forward into your fuel tank and the handlebars and can severely change the feel of the bike and the handling characteristics. Warn her about this as well so that she uses her legs to hold herself back as much as possible when braking and when going downhill. Plan ahead so you don't have to brake hard, just take it easy like everything else! If going downhill and you find she is pushing you too hard, tell her to use the passenger handrails. Same if she thinks you are going to have to brake heavily.

Now speaking of handrails, I find with the FZ1 (as I did with the FZ6) that it is easier to ride with a passenger that has arms wrapped around you rather than using the passenger hand rails on the tail. Using the passenger handrails, in my oppinion, creates a bigger gap between rider and passenger and that means it feels even more like two people rather than one person. The closer my passenger is to me, the more comfortable I feel on the bike because we shift as one person and bump as one person. And you also get the added benefit of having your lady wrap her arms tightly around you the whole way! :drools: As above, handrails are great for downhill segments, or heavy braking, or a combination of the two. Even uphill if you find it hard to grip the handlebars with her hanging off of you.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Already some good advice here. Some additional items:
Go over some "ground rules" before she gets on the bike. All moves (both hers and yours) should be smooth. She shouldn't get on or off the bike unless you acknowledge that it's okay. Establish some sort of way to communicate, even if you don't have a voice-comm system. For example, one tap on my passenger's leg means hold on tighter. If she taps me (gently), she wants to pull over. The more urgent the tapping, the more urgent the need to stop. If she smacks me on the helmet, it means I did something stupid and I shouldn't do it again.

Smooth goes for your riding style, too. You should plan everything a bit further ahead... braking, acceleration, even shifting. If her helmet smacks into the back of yours, you shifted too hard.

The first time I rode with my wife as pillion, she was terrified of moving AT ALL. By the end of the (short) ride, her legs were starting to fall asleep, and she was terribly uncomfortable. I had to tell her that it's okay to move, as long as I know about it and she didn't do it while coming to a stop, starting out, or travelling slowly in general.

Be aware of how well she's hanging on, and force her to adjust if necessary. You don't want this to happen:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odjBPel1-iM]Girl Falls Off Bike And Gets Stuck On The Tire - YouTube[/ame]

make sure you put as much weight as possible up front on the bars give yourself plenty of time before pulling out in traffic smooth slow acceleration do not lean as much as you do when solo when turning practice slow manuvers in neiborhood start stop and turning as said get a tap system you tap her twice if there is a pothole she taps if there is dear on the side of road(ect) make sure she understands to put her weight forward when taking off and you will need to use your clutch much more(feathering) when taking off uphill off camber sandy or wet conditions.you will need more brake pressure but watch for lock up. my wife has been riding on the back for 25 years but never on a bike this small GOOD LUCK I hope this helped

Already some good advice here. Some additional items:
Go over some "ground rules" before she gets on the bike. All moves (both hers and yours) should be smooth. She shouldn't get on or off the bike unless you acknowledge that it's okay. Establish some sort of way to communicate, even if you don't have a voice-comm system. For example, one tap on my passenger's leg means hold on tighter. If she taps me (gently), she wants to pull over. The more urgent the tapping, the more urgent the need to stop. If she smacks me on the helmet, it means I did something stupid and I shouldn't do it again.

Smooth goes for your riding style, too. You should plan everything a bit further ahead... braking, acceleration, even shifting. If her helmet smacks into the back of yours, you shifted too hard.

The first time I rode with my wife as pillion, she was terrified of moving AT ALL. By the end of the (short) ride, her legs were starting to fall asleep, and she was terribly uncomfortable. I had to tell her that it's okay to move, as long as I know about it and she didn't do it while coming to a stop, starting out, or travelling slowly in general.

Be aware of how well she's hanging on, and force her to adjust if necessary. You don't want this to happen:

Girl Falls Off Bike And Gets Stuck On The Tire - YouTube

dam talk about having a hot crotch that poor girl had smoke comin off the tire!

Driving is Easy.

My key 5 points are all about educating my passenger:
  • Wait until I say I am ready for you to jump on
  • Lean with me always. Your torso should always be parallel to mine
  • In turns look over my should in the direction of the turn
  • When slowing down put your hands on the tank to brace yourself rather than my body
  • Wait until I say I am ready for you to jump off

One more point that might have been mentioned but I didn't see while reading thru the responses is that coming to a stop your probably gonna want to put both feet down for balance with the added weight on the back. Maybe that is already the norm for you but when I ride 1 up I only put one foot down for balance when at a stop, I found its a bit more difficult to balance with a rider. Also something that my wife enjoys is the optional backrest that came with my Corbin seat, she says it is more comfortable with and that without it she is always worried she will fall off the back when I ride wheelies at 85mph on the freeway! OK, so that last part isn't really true:). Be safe and have fun!

All GREAT tips

Driving is Easy.

My key 5 points are all about educating my passenger:
  • Wait until I say I am ready for you to jump on
  • Lean with me always. Your torso should always be parallel to mine
  • In turns look over my should in the direction of the turn
  • When slowing down put your hands on the tank to brace yourself rather than my body
  • Wait until I say I am ready for you to jump off

My wife gets on my FZ "maybe" once a month. We use the above allot. I need to buy Tank Grippers, because she isn't always paying attention when I could crank the throttle to make a yellow light, so when I braked and down-shifted HARD she comes sliding into me. (hard on the hands and groin).

I like braking with RPMs so I usually use the engine, wether she is on the back or not.

My wife really likes the extended pegs I picked up for her. They allows her to put weight on the pegs and also puts her knees lower allowing for her to squeeze the bike with her knees.

I purchsed the MFW Vario brand from Twisted Throttle.

i've done thousands of miles 2up on my fz1, it's all about being smooth, pretend you're riding in the rain, smooth shifts, smooth braking, smooth acceleration, unless she likes wheelies lol. if you're not comfortable doing low speed cornering, keep your legs down and walk it if you have to, just don't dump her, cuz then she'll dump you. as long as she holds on to you when gas, push against tank when brake, body follows yours in corners, it's really easy.

Back