A reality check video

Those videos are always interesting to see what NOT to do. Most of those problems occurred simply from inexperience and stupidity. It's a nice reminder of all of those unworthy riders out there. I see them everyday!

I made it through about the first 8 minutes of those Darwin candidates.... I wouldn't say that it's a good sense of what can go wrong with motorcycling, it's more of a good sense of what can go wrong when you have the brain power of a hummingbird, and the maturity of a 2 year old. In almost every one of the wrecks in the first 8 minutes, the rider was at fault.

I made it through about the first 8 minutes of those Darwin candidates.... I wouldn't say that it's a good sense of what can go wrong with motorcycling, it's more of a good sense of what can go wrong when you have the brain power of a hummingbird, and the maturity of a 2 year old. In almost every one of the wrecks in the first 8 minutes, the rider was at fault.

You went 8 minutes?! I'm proud of you. I couldn't go more than 4. It always amazes me that Russians would even consider getting on 2 wheels with the way they drive over there. It's pretty much a free for all in the streets there according to these types of videos. I'd much rather be in at least an auto.

It has served as that and a reminder of the price of stupidity, ego, and complacency. A little further on the videos show some really nasty cagers wrecking bikes too. But curve negotiating is lacking throughout the length as is a respect for the risk you take on a bike. That is why I use it. It saves me from having to explain to a young 19yr old Marine who thinks he is invincible, that he isn't. Videos are great for that.

Thanks for scaring the crap out of me GDCPONY. I'm a new rider as you are aware, but I can see from this video that even the most experienced rider cannot avoid a lot of situations.

That's not true and isn't the kind of attitude to have! :) Be positive! With experience comes the skills and knowledge to recognize a potential situation beforehand and take steps to avoid it before it happens.

Of course, not every situation is avoidable, but most are. The best thing you can do is to equip yourself with knowledge, practice whenever possible and always dress for the crash.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book:

emu9uqe9.jpg

It's a great place to start building your arsenal of skills. It also teaches accountability for your mistakes and how to recognise what went wrong when you have an incident

Thanks for scaring the crap out of me GDCPONY. I'm a new rider as you are aware, but I can see from this video that even the most experienced rider cannot avoid a lot of situations.
My daughter and I went through it and decided what was the errors in every accident. It built her awareness before she gets her license later this year. You are right, there is always a risk in riding no matter your experience. However, it is minimized when you can learn from others mistakes. Wearing gear, not pulling stupid stunts, and being attentive to everything going on around you will keep you safer than you think. The rest is riding at the bike's, the conditions, and your own ability level. Have fun, but don't forget what you are doing as well. You will be fine.

I got reprimanded by some friends when apparently I was lacking in understanding of a young girl that wrecked her car. I asked what happened and she had no idea. I suggested she should really think about it or it will happen again. I thought I was being helpful but for car drivers apparently its ok to wreck and just shrug your shoulders.

Back