A mod for heay riders

stretch

If you are 255lbs (115-116kg) or heavier fully geared up and ready to ride or 240lb + luggage (permanent hard bags), and you have replaced your gen 1 shock with a late model R6 shock. I recommend swapping the 10kg/mm R6 spring for the 12kg/mm spring from a cbr1000rr. I recently performed this upgrade on my own bike and am much happier with the performance of the shock. The bike is much more balanced now front to rear and squat on acceleration has been completely eliminated. The shock is still just as smooth and controlled as before but now with a bit more cornering clearance. And proper sag can be dialed in without shimming the spring.
There are several 1000rr shocks on eBay for $20-$30 at any given time, so this is one of the least expensive upgrades you will ever do. This mod is only recommended for riders 255 lbs or heavier and using 235mm dog bones (stock ride height)
due to lighter riders not being able to obtain a minimum of 25mm sag and the efect shorter dogbones have on sag numbers.
I personaly weigh 240lb and with my Givi bags installed measure 30mm of sag on the lowest preload setting.
trippleclicker.jpg

Last edited:
Back