A few parts to order

I about to do the ravenrider carb jetting but I need to order the jets. I work third and don't really have time with all the OT we've been getting to go to the stealership. I also need to order some fork oil.

Where is a few good online parts places.

What size jets do you need? I bought a used Gen1 and put the stock exhaust back on it, now I need to re jet for the stock pipe. I'm not sure what is in it, but will know by the weekend. Maybe we could trade jets :)

I got mine from here: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJ91TK/ref=ox_ya_os_product]Amazon.com: Mikuni 100 to 604 Main Jet for RS & HS Carbs - 125 KN100.604-125: Automotive[/ame]

Took 5 days to get them, I think I ordered them before the weekend.

I have the 125s.

I was reading the ravenrider carb stuff thread and saw where I should run the 130's for my main jet. I bought 125's. The 2 center carbs are 130's factory. I live at 1000ft. So I'm thinking 130's would be better. Dang it.

We live at about the same elevation. With the 125s, I have great low performance but I think my top end could be a little bit better. I tried the K&N filter with the 125s but that's a huge FAIL! at this elevation. Rather than futzing with the carbs again, I went back to the stock air filter. RR had these suggestions to fix that problem with the K&N:
RR Says:
Well what I would try is:

1. First re-install the stock filter if you have it, just to verify it is the filter that is causing the problem.
2. If you are sure it is rich on the low end, you might also try removing one shim from under the needles.
3. With the K&N, if your elevation is below 2,000 ft, you may need to go up to 127.5 main jets.

Just try one at a time. If there is no improvement, put that item as it was and try the next.

My guess would be that you'll end up with the air srews at 3.0 turns out, possibly one less shim/washer under the needles and 127.5 mains.

After I read that I decided the best thing to do was to get the bike on the dyno rather than trying to get internet diagnostics based on possibly incomplete info I provide. Going back to the OEM filter with the 125s has Baby slightly rich. But he performs well below 6k rpms. The bonus is when I go up to the mountains (gain elevation) I don't lose as much as Cruzman does (He has a silver 02 with a commercial jet kit). He always comments about it when we get around 2.5k in elevation.

I also notice when riding with eflyguy (see his dyno run thread for info about his bike), he has trouble off idle. He has to rev really high to get going. By ear I know I'm not revving as high.

So after just going back to the OEM filter with the 125s I find it entirely liveable. I've been with this configuration since Sept '10 and haven't really thought much about it since then.

I've also had to change mufflers. When I did, I noticed a bit of a difference that reaffirmed my decision to get the bike dyno tuned (if that's the right phrase). I just changed mufflers again--this time to be pretty (shameless new muffler pic coming up)--and the little bit of ride I did the bike seems to like it a lot better than the other one. This muffler is a lot less restrictive than the one it replaced so it produces better sound similar to my the one I had when I first did this jetting. I think that better sound also helps with the performance a bit because the bike felt much smoother.

IMG_20111008_181258.jpg

RR said try one thing at a time. I tried one thing only and was satisfied enough not to think about it again. Now that I've revisited his suggestions and have my muffler finalized, I'll likely remove one of the shims since I can do that without pulling the carbs even before I get the dyno. (Most of my mod money is going to R1 fork conversion so I'm waiting until I get that done before I think about dyno.)

Long answer I know but I hope it helps with your decision!

Back