89A +++++, ride report

So, I finally got to ride from Prescott to Jerome up 89A and I would give that road an A+++++. Lot's of switchbacks and hairpins, mixed in with high desert pines looking out over amazing views of the back side of the red rock mountains of Sedona to the North. Luckily only came up on 2 cars the whole time and both of them used the pull outs like they were supposed to. Unfortunately I did not have my GoPro with me otherwise would have shot video. Also, saw a couple of big hawks circling in the sky and almost took a bird to the face mask (robin maybe, had a red breast and white wings as it flew almost a foot or two in front of my face). In all a great experience and if you are looking to get out of the Phoenix Valley and beat the heat for the summer this is an amazing little section of read to incorporate into your travels.

i love that ride!

i have my fair share of wildlife run out in front of me on the way up too. i have had multiple small rodents and such, but my favorite was a nice big AZ Tarantula running across and turn after a rain storm. i thought that was super cool.

im thinking about this ride after i get back from Cali

you guys and any other PHX area folks want to set it up for the 13 or 14th?
run up to Jerome and back?

i would say the 6th or 7th, but i know traffic will likely be heavy.

I will be in Colorado on my way back down the Million Dollar Highway.

Keep posted, it may workout that I will be back down closer to Phoenix the day you decide to go.

you guys and any other PHX area folks want to set it up for the 13 or 14th?
run up to Jerome and back?

i would say the 6th or 7th, but i know traffic will likely be heavy.

13th or 14th works better for me but can't guarantee I'll be there, big rock crawlin trip the 4th weekend and if I break I'll be wrenchin on the crawler.

interested

I would like to hook up with ya depends where you intend to meet and what time it would be a journey but always wanted to do a group ride and that area looks like a great ride

Alright, as the day gets closer we can seal up the lose ends, who can go, where and when to meet.

tentatively, i would say Sunday 14th, 830 ish at the Wickenburg Mobil on Vulture Mine Rd and 93.

37770 Vulture Mine Road
Wickenburg, AZ 85390

I will likely go up 17 and head west on Carefree Highway/74, i can meet folks at the 4 sons gas station at just east of 17 on Carefree Highway if needed.

let me know

Pat

It sounds like Pat is thinking heading up Yarnell Hill and the Spars (60-75 minutes from wickenberg through to Prescott). Suggest a stop in Prescott, maybe the Dinner Bell for brunch. Then through town up to Jerome (45 minutes from Prescott) and back down to Pheonix (hour and 45 minutes). For the Iron Butt guys, maybe go through Camp Verde to Strawberry to Payson and back down (I also did that last weekend and it's always a good ride, but it adds on about 2 more hours).

Please confirm with Google maps, as I'm a known speed demon.

how long of a ride do you think it will be? for me it a 2.5 hour to wickenberg

where are you coming from?
from my house in south Phoenix, its just about an all day ride. usually takes me about 1 &1/2 hours to get to the Wickenburg Mobil. give or take a lil' bit.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...b5-ltkA8thzGLZlUrT_Jj9g&oq=jer&t=h&mra=ls&z=8

this is the typical route. and then you can come back to the oven a number of ways, the same way, shoot down 17, hop over to Payson and then down 87, or go all the way to Globe through Payson along 260, SRC, then across 60 back to Phoenix.
just depends on how long you want your day to be. its really really fun to go ALL the way around in the super loop
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...wklR-Smpp088kxArhzHA8Rbu5qvqLw&t=h&mra=ls&z=8

:)

I live in lake havasu city AZ map quest says its almost a 3 hr ride but im sure it wont take that long realy got to think about the mid day heat ride home with the weather the way it going it gonna be over 110 degrees

I live in lake havasu city AZ map quest says its almost a 3 hr ride but im sure it wont take that long realy got to think about the mid day heat ride home with the weather the way it going it gonna be over 110 degrees

oh snap! you are out there! kinda stinks the round about way you would need to go to get to Wickenburg

we will have to play this ride by ear now.
its really sad about the fire fighters and the town.

Agreed. I almost was going to ride up Yarnell last Saturday, and decided to stay home instead. Prescott is such a great community, and I hope they get through this as best as can be.

Back