600 mile service

I got a brand new 2013 FZ1, I changed out my oil already, actually changed it out at 70 miles. I took it to my local yamaha dealer which just acquired yamaha in the last 4 years, it's a Harley dealer. Anyway, they told me it was going to be 400.00 to do the service. WTF??? According to my owners manual it's just changing oil, checking bolts, clutch and throttle cables etc. no major work. I asked why they say they have to check the valves?? According to the manual, that isn't necessary until 26600 miles! Called my local Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki dealer who have been doing metric bikes for years, they tell me 120.00.

Am I wrong or is the yamaha dealer try to do me without lube???

Curious as to what you gents think. Thanks and ride safe.

Greg

I've never paid more than $200 for a service. I've paid more when they pulled the bile apart to replace the suspension, but that was only $250 for forks and rear suspension upgrade, would have done it myself if I had the means to hold the bike up. My first service at 1000km was all lubes, filters and a full nut/bolt tension check and still cost me less than $200. I'd go elsewhere.

Don't waste your money. Change the oil and filter, and check the fittings for tightness. The dealer is BS'ing you, they will NOT check your valves at 600 miles, no one does that as it is not required. They are looking to charge you $400 for a $30 cost to them. Don't get ripped off.

Change your own oil and follow the specs for adjustments in the manual. Chances are very slim you will have any issues with your fz if you maintain it. I got the kind of luck where if 1 in million is defective I'll get that one and I've had no issues with either fz in my stable outside of bad gas in her 8 throwing a CEL.

I'm trying to remember what my dealer charged for the 600 mile and I think it was just under $100. Since I live in an apartment with no area to work on the bike I have to take it to the dealer. Fortunately they are very reasonable with their service rates.

I've never taken my bike to anyone for service. I don't trust anyone to work on my bike other than me. But $400? I'd charge you for oil, filter and $30 to check/change everything. It's a 30 minute job to do the 600 mile service.

^^ Agreed!! That's ridiculous. For the R1's 600 mile break in that I just recently hit, my dealer wanted about $250 for break in checkup / oil change. I passed, and just did the stuff myself. The owners manual will tell you everything you should check, and the oil change is super easy on the FZ1, especially compared to R1, that was a PAIN! I did run Yamalube 15-50 and their filter as I like the shop and wanted to give them some business, but that total was only like $80. My next oil change will more likely be AMSOIL, which is what I normally run on my bikes

Plus doing it yourself you will know your bike, and know it was done right

Thanks for the feedback. Only reason I took it to the dealer was for warranty reasons. It's brand new and I wanted to be able to document I did the service on time. I ended up taking it to the second dealer, 120.00 bucks, in and out the door in one hour. They did everything recommended for the 600 mile service in the owners manual.

Once the warranty is up, I will be doing regular maintenance myself.

Thanks for the feedback. Only reason I took it to the dealer was for warranty reasons. It's brand new and I wanted to be able to document I did the service on time. I ended up taking it to the second dealer, 120.00 bucks, in and out the door in one hour. They did everything recommended for the 600 mile service in the owners manual.

Once the warranty is up, I will be doing regular maintenance myself.

You don't have to use a dealer to keep the warranty valid. As long as you can display that the recommended things were done, mainly oil/filter changes, you are ok. It's unlikely an FZ1 is going to have any real problems.

^^ X2

just have receipts for any parts purchased, and documentation of when you changed oil, adjusted chain, checked cables, ect.... and you are good. The warranty does no state you must have it serviced by them for it to be valid.

I have full documentation on everything on my R1 and from the 600 mile oil change

A few years ago, I bought a certified pre owned Audi A4, the coverage was for 12 months after purchase. The dealer told us we had to get all of our work done at the dealer for the warranty to be effective.
As I recall it was $75 for a regular oil change. We had only ever owned Japanese cars before. The car had a number of issues that the dealer had to fix under warranty, and those bills were expensive.
I should have challenged the statement that the dealer had to do all of the work but did not. We sold the car shortly after having it for a year. I don't plan on getting another Audi, they drive great but you
have to be made of money to be able to afford their maintenance.

A few years ago, I bought a certified pre owned Audi A4, the coverage was for 12 months after purchase. The dealer told us we had to get all of our work done at the dealer for the warranty to be effective.
As I recall it was $75 for a regular oil change. We had only ever owned Japanese cars before. The car had a number of issues that the dealer had to fix under warranty, and those bills were expensive.
I should have challenged the statement that the dealer had to do all of the work but did not. We sold the car shortly after having it for a year. I don't plan on getting another Audi, they drive great but you
have to be made of money to be able to afford their maintenance.

This is my experience with Audi as well. An ex leased a new A4 2.0T and it had nothing but issues. It was a pig on fuel and burned oil like you could not believe. There was a minimum amount of oil consumption before Audi would even address it, so you had to live with a new car that burned a quart a tank as if you were driving some old shit box

I did my own 600 mile service and that was 4k miles ago. Runs like a top. In fact, I did my own riser inserts and have not taken a bike to a dealer since 1997. The last trip I made was in January to get a quote in changing tires and they said $100 in labor per tire! Find an honest mechanic and stick with him so he stays in business. A former Harley dealer over changing for service, shocked I am not ($100 hr. in Orlando).

Last edited:
This is my experience with Audi as well. An ex leased a new A4 2.0T and it had nothing but issues. It was a pig on fuel and burned oil like you could not believe. There was a minimum amount of oil consumption before Audi would even address it, so you had to live with a new car that burned a quart a tank as if you were driving some old shit box

That's not just Audi. Our trailblazer burned 2-3 quarts between changes. Some of the new Jk wranglers burn as much as a quart/ 1200 miles. Chrysler says this is normal consumption.

Back