50k mile Maintenace and adjustments

I purchased the motorcycle from a dealership at 47k miles. After 2 weeks of riding it the rotor/stator gave out and I had it replaced along with a new chain, sprockets and a new swingarm. I felt the brakes a bit spongy and read online that usually that calls for brake fluid replacement. I couldn’t really see a color through the sightglass so preceded to opening the brake reservoir to inspect. I then closed the reservoir and noticed there was a bubble in the sight glass. I didn’t think much of it. After riding it, going on a tight turn, the bike starts to jerk aggressively. I wasn’t applying breaks but want to know if the bubble in the brake line has something to do with the jerky turns.

I purchased the motorcycle from a dealership at 47k miles. After 2 weeks of riding it the rotor/stator gave out and I had it replaced along with a new chain, sprockets and a new swingarm. I felt the brakes a bit spongy and read online that usually that calls for brake fluid replacement. I couldn’t really see a color through the sightglass so preceded to opening the brake reservoir to inspect. I then closed the reservoir and noticed there was a bubble in the sight glass. I didn’t think much of it. After riding it, going on a tight turn, the bike starts to jerk aggressively. I wasn’t applying breaks but want to know if the bubble in the brake line has something to do with the jerky turns.

Um, no. When you replaced the reservoir lid, you want to make sure the flimsy rubber gasket is laying smooth on top of the fluid. I replaced mine and ended up with the same issue, i.e. not quite enough fluid to cover the sight window, but my brakes work just fine. I do wish they made it easier to get reservoir level for that job though!

Hmmm, so the jerkyness was probably user error? Are there any things I should be looking at when reaching that high mileage?

That is what I'd suspect. I've had similar instances where the bike does "something" or sounds a little off to me, but I'm hyper sensitive to that stuff. If it doesn't replicate the issue within a few rides, I usually attribute it to something I did...

As for mileage, what year is the bike? Do you have any of the previous service records? If not, I always change out all the fluids and check the condition of the air filter, spark plugs, and hoses. The biggest maintenance job is a valve clearance check (and possible adjustment) every 26k miles. Depending on if it was done or not, then it is either waaaay past due or coming up due soon.

Its a 2008. I dont have any service records. All I know is the previous owner modded it by adding a new exhaust slip on, dyno charged it and threw in quick shifter. I’ve experienced charging issues on the bike and decided to open it up. I then saw that the wiring was held by electrical tape and not your normal wire caps and therefore wasn’t making contact. So I can only assume that the job (and possibly any maintenance) was done in home. Is the valve clearance check a job I can do with the right tools, or do you suggest I bring it to a shop?

Ugh. I found some wiring issues on mine as well. I hate electrical problems! lol

I did the valves on my F4i several years ago. I would say it's a job that requires a lot of attention to detail. Not "hard" per se, but does require staying organized and taking your time. There were two vids I used as my guide and, while not specific to the FZ, will give you an idea of the job -

How to do Valve Clearance Check on a CBR600 F4i - YouTube

How to do Valve Clearance Adjustment on a CBR600 F4i - YouTube

I do think the FZ might be a little tougher because you can't access from the top but have to go in from the sides...

Back