311 MPH land speed record!

I only wish there was video at the other end of the track showing him coming! BTW, Loring used to be an AFB and had one of the largest runways in the US. In an emergency, the shuttle can land there. ;)

Last edited:
Incredible looking ride.
Thank you for the link

LandSpeedRecord.jpg

The story also mentions one of my Classmates from 1983 who was timing his bike up there... Joe Caron. He was trying to break 190 mph. ;) But he's a big muscle-head and his muscle weight was likely a hindrance to him making his mark. Good effort though!

Huh? I do believe the world motorcycle speed record is held by our local Rocky Robinson at 373.363 mph.
I have met Rocky and what a nice guy. The record was held by Chris Carr ( met him too) driving the Streamliner 7 which is also from our town. I bought my FZ1 from a guy who worked there and it was tuned by the builder of the engine.

Sorry to burst the Maine bubble

Motorcycle land-speed record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Huh? I do believe the world motorcycle speed record is held by our local Rocky Robinson at 373.363 mph.
I have met Rocky and what a nice guy. The record was held by Chris Carr ( met him too) driving the Streamliner 7 which is also from our town. I bought my FZ1 from a guy who worked there and it was tuned by the builder of the engine.

Sorry to burst the Maine bubble

Motorcycle land-speed record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have to burst back... ;) This is the fastest "sit-on" motorcycle. Those other records are not sit-on bikes, but modified capsules that are fully enclosed. So, yes, this is the world record... for a sit-on, open motorcycle. ;) :tup:

Have to burst back... ;) This is the fastest "sit-on" motorcycle. Those other records are not sit-on bikes, but modified capsules that are fully enclosed. So, yes, this is the world record... for a sit-on, open motorcycle. ;) :tup:

I missed the sit on part in the article and I would hardly call that modified fully faired bike an "Open Class" bike BUT no doubt he was haulin' arse :tup:

I did run my FZ up to 161 last Saturday, that's a record for me :rolleyes:

I missed the sit on part in the article and I would hardly call that modified fully faired bike an "Open Class" bike BUT no doubt he was haulin' arse :tup:

I did run my FZ up to 161 last Saturday, that's a record for me :rolleyes:

Yeah, it is quite modified, but I guess without a canopy on it, it is an open bike? Underneath, it is still a motorcycle.

You have to have a set of cannon balls to run that speed AND stop on this distance. He said he used up ALL of the runway... :wow:

Back