30 Mile ride today, FREAKIN COLD!

fazer1sniper

OK, I know the stock gen 1 probably is not the first choice for an all season bike in Ohio, what can I do here. I was greared up prety darn good, all my safetygear, plus my old Army poly-pro underwear and a kneck gator. Air temp was about 39F. Had the day off, had to run downtown to pick up some paperwork. So it was my 92 F-150 or my FZ, I said what the hell. My core was prety good, but hands and lower legs were DAMN cold! I had covered up the bike for the season 3 times and keep breaking it back out. I know some of you guys out there ride nearly all year. What kind of options would you guys recomend if I keep doing silly stuff like this. I hate the looks of the touring wind screans but do they help? I'm thinking if can deflect more wind I would be fine. I have some great gloves for warmth but I can't feel the controls well enough to feel safe.
DSCF0005.jpg

The Skunk is looking awesome there Sniper! Up here in the Northeast I ride almost all year. If there is no snow or rain coming down, I'm riding. Once they start salting the roads however, I hate to take the bike out. What I did last December was buy a Dickies Winter Coverall Suit. If you go on the website you can see them. I bought it a size or two over what I normally wear. Mine is all black and has the 12oz. Goosedown in it. I have ridden to Ivans in December with the temperature down to 36 degrees and didn't feel any discomfort whatsoever. It has heavy duty zippers all the way down from the waist down and another zipper from the crotch up to the neck. The bottom of the legs have a double snap that closes around your boots and the same around the wrists. This suit is warm as hell and built to last. I wear my regular clothes underneath with thermals as well. It comes on and off in literally less than a minute. Being that all the zippers meet in the middle, you just step into it, pull it to waist height, and then pull the leg zippers down and the waist zipper up! Thats it! It's all black so it looks pretty cool too. Aside from that you may want to pick up some heated grips. They are pretty inexpensive and really keep your hands warm. I don't have them yet but Tony swears by them.

Dude,
I used to live in Warren, Oh, probably about 25 minutes from you. Do what I did,,,,, I moved to North Carolina !!!!!!! hahahahahahahahah
I ride year 'round, and in the words of Walter....."WE LOVE IT HERE!"""

I ride all year as well. Rode to work in 27 degrees the other day. First choice would be what Billy does: A warm one piece suit. A friend of mine gave me his old Columbia one piece ski suit and it worked the charm in nearly any weather last year. My big problem last year was my hands and the road. I put those $2.00 chemical packs (I forget the name of them-hunters use them) inside my gloves which worked OK but not great. You also have to watch the roads very early in the morning in the winter because there frequently is still some very faint frost. By 10 AM, between the cars and the sun, the frost is usually not an issue-just be careful very early in the morning.

If you want to go advanced then go to the Gerbing site. I just bought their gloves and vest and now I think I could ride in zero degrees Kelvin. Although I could be mistaken about that one.

I cant seem to tolerate temps below 50 degrees. Main prob being i loose all feeling in my fingers, which is no fun! I have the thickest Joe Rockett gloves and still its awful. I have looked into heated gloves but dont like the idea of being wired to my battery. At least in Alabama winters are relatively mild.

I live up in North Dakota and what i do is get my Carhartt gear on and then throw on my Gortex shell i got in the service for wind protection and a set of good Gortex gloves been riding when its well below 30 degrees and i was fine on a 70 mile ride

Back