2024 MotoGP Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

looks like we have a few new members who follow the sport so perhaps we bring back this annual thread? Looks like we missed a few years.

I am pretty dang excited for COTA this weekend. I really want Rins to win it like he did last year - but Marc is going to be hard to beat now that he is getting comfortable on the Duc.

Any predictions?

I am thinking it will be:

Marc
Jorge
Pecco

with Binder close behind.

I have a feeling tire management will be huge for the GP.

I think mentally Marc has an edge, while it wasnt much fun to watch him dominate all those years it is pretty uplifting to see his comeback. He loves cota. Wish i could be there, but like F1 its way out of my financial reach.

Hope new event coverage (Liberty Media) is at least as good as the previous organization running it. They run F1 so it should be. Haven't checked Verizon FIOS to see if they are going to carry MotoGP this year.

While I love MotoGp it's become a single manufacturer series. I have no animosity towards Ducati but it does become boring when the top bikes and riders are all on the same machinery. Thank the Gods for Digital Video Recorders so I can skip through the fluff.

Bunk other than getting a Ducati seat for this year, when did Marc make his comeback?

Hopefully changes in engine development will make thing more competitive.

Bunk other than getting a Ducati seat for this year, when did Marc make his comeback?
Its currently happening. Watching him at last year was brutal, but now its very obvious how far being honda is.

I wish they would limit the number of bikes each manufacturer is allowed in the series, but the real problem is that all of them cant afford to throw away that much cash. Its turning into F1 on 2 wheels with all the aero and suspension trickery. Those who invested in it early are reaping the reward.

Sounds like Dorna is trying to come up with big rules changes for the 2027 season (the next time they have planned for big rules changes I believe) that will make Aero less valuble.

I do really miss the pre-aero days when the Ducati's were fast on the straights but harder to turn and the Yamahas were the best at turning but slower on the straights.

The Aero certainly did give the ducs a big advantage.

I too did not really like watching Marc dominate for so long - but we did have some good battles during those years - If he is going to get a first win on the Duc this year COTA is gonna be the place he does it.

Binder in 4th/5th... guaranteed! Don't know many of the guys real well yet but I think Marquez will do well on the new bike, provided he is able to stay within his limits. I think he pushes too hard and crashes, rather than hang back a bit to see how the race unfolds. That drive to be at the front all the time can be a double edged sword...

MM was 3rd in the official Practice today following Maverick and Jorge.

Qualifying should be really exciting tomorrow with the insanely fast times Jorge and Mavrick put down today - might even see a sub 2:01 lap time.

Verizon didn't provide much Moto2 coverage last year, just highlights before the main event. I wasn't familiar with Pedro Acosta. He's adapting quickly. I could see him on the podium at COTA. My prediction Marc, Jorge then Pedro.

Still learning the terminology and qualifying process (had no clue "practice" determined so much!), I found the flow chart at the bottom of this page quite helpful - https://www.intentsgp.com/motogp-qualifying-format-explained/
Oh yeah. That is what I love about MotoGP - outside of "Free Practice" everything is a race that matters.

- Practice - better be in the top 10 for a direct transfer to Q2
- Q1 - Better be in the top 2 to get into Q2
- Q1 - Race for Pole and other top 12 grid spots
- Then the actual race

I just love it.

And holy cow the GP was an amazing watch. Major Props to Maverick - he is on a roll. If not for that mechanical failure in the previous race he would only be a few points off the front of the championship.

It's good to see Vinales doing well, also good to see something other than Ducati being competitive. He and Yamaha had some bad years in the end.

It's evident that having a wheel up on the inside going into a corner doesn't guarantee right of way, as it seemed to in the past. Made for exciting viewing watching Acosta come over the top.

Announcers were OK but I liked the previous two better.

Back