2016 MotoGP Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

This year I'm hoping to make it to my first ever MotoGP ...

Yeh, I'm a local but have never been. And only once to WSBK.

I hope so! I'd love to see pics and get a full report. Australia is on my 'must visit' list and attending the best race on the calendar is certainly another incentive for me

Been a crazy weekend so far. FP2 was cancelled and FP3 started early to try and get some good weather but it was still wet.

Lorenzo dead last.

Qualifying 1 Results:

Qualifying 2 Results:

Marquez is just brilliant this weekend. Lorenzo struggling yet again and Rossi is the slowest Yamaha.

Great job from Hayden and excellent riding from Bradl who got the Aprilia up pretty high!

Last edited:
So, this weekend is exactly why I thought Marq's win last week was an awful way to win. Lets speculate for a moment since we are all armchair motoGP riders.

Lets say Rossie and Lorenzo don't crash out and they placed with some points last week AND then Marq Crashes out at Phillip Island... Then all of a sudden the pressure is on and we have a season that possibly goes all the way to Valencia.

For the Fans it would be much more exciting.

Now Marq could crash out the next two races and still be champion... boring.

Awesome MotoGP and a great win for Cal. He really seems to be hitting his stride and showing the world that he's not just a rainy day winner but is just plain fast. I really like Cal so I hope this momentum continues into 2017 and beyond. How cool would it be to see a British world champion again?

It was great to see Bradl on the Aprilia fighting with the satellite bikes now. They've made big strides and he qualified very high up as well.

For sure, Cal seems to be more comfortable on the Honda than he ever was on the Duc.

Pretty awesome to see Aprilla getting competitive now. I am very excited to see KTM race in Valencia.

It's very exciting to think that there will be yet another new factory racing next year. I hope KTM does as well as Suzuki and Aprilia have done this year.

Moto3 was not easy watch; there were a lot of really big crashes that caused a red flag. I thought I had seen John McPhee get offed, that's how bad it was. Thankfully, he's 'ok' but it sounds like he's going to miss the rest of the season.

Moto2 was a little bit processional but the results were interesting. Rins seems to have thrown his championship away and Zarco is way off his game. Lutthi has found his stride and is primed to steal the championship off Zarco. Malaysia should be very interesting, indeed.

Cal joins the Pommie pantheon | Motor Sport Magazine

Mat Oxley's summary of the Phillip Island round is great as always and he's particularly scathing towards the fans that cheered in front of Marquez when he crashed out of the race.

Sunday’s race was poignant because it marked the fifth anniversary of Marco Simoncelli’s fatal accident and the 56th birthday of three-time 500cc world champion Wayne Rainey, who was paralysed from the chest down when he crashed out of the San Marino GP at Misano in September 1993.

For these reasons (and also many more) it was sickening to witness a minority of Phillip Island spectators celebrating a rider crashing to earth at 80mph, like a bunch of neanderthals punching the air at a Donald Trump rally.

These people tell me via social media that it is the normal thing to cheer when your favourite rider’s rival crashes, just as you cheer when your football team scores a goal. It is not normal; in fact it’s repugnant.

No, no, they say, they only cheer when a rider crashes and doesn’t get hurt. So how does that work? Presumably they jump for joy as the rider tumbles through the gravel trap; then if he does end up curled up in agony, nursing a broken wrist, collarbone or worse, they withdraw their cheers. Sheer geniuses, these people.

I apologise for being direct, but these pretend MotoGP fans are clueless morons who don’t have the intellectual capacity to differentiate between motorcycle racing and football. For the avoidance of doubt, MotoGP riders do not earn their living by running around a field at 20 miles an hour.

It was disgraceful to see the Rossi fans cheer then. Sitting in Siberia, there were quite a few of them. A number of them were international tourists, but disappointingly, a most were locals.

The trip over this year was challenging, the weather on Friday wasn't much fun. and the front that came through Saturday arvo was pretty intense for a short period. the most annoying thing was the lack of facilities this year. In previous years they have had trucks driving around spreading bark chips over the mud so that you can walk around - not this year. In front of the food stalls around Siberia you had to walk through 2 inches of mud - not pleasant, even for those of us who are prepared for the conditions and wore boots. the lack of toilets this year also lead to a messy situation. It was the worst year ever facility wise I have seen since 2010. I feel bad for the people that took their young kids along to the race, I bet they won't be coming back!

On the track, Moto3 was definitely the most crashes I have seen in a while - all weekend they were going down. Moto2 was same ol same ol and motoGP, well the race for 8th (before Espargaro and Marquez went down - ended up for 7th was the most interesting battle of the day. I was pleased to see Cal win again and hope he and Miller keep improving next year. Mike Jones ride on the Ducati was impressive - he even picked up a point. I hope someone in the MotoGP paddock offers him a full time ride soon.

Disappointing to hear how poorly run Phillip Island is. Isn't the MotoGP the biggest event they hold at that track? How could they drop the ball so badly?

It's typical of Rossi fans to boo anyone who can beat him.
The sooner he leaves, the better for MotoGP. The real fans will still remain.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

It's typical of Rossi fans to boo anyone who can beat him.
The sooner he leaves, the better for MotoGP. The real fans will still remain.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I agree 100% but I totally understand the sentiment. I am most definitely a Rossi fan but I'm also a Marquez, Viñales, Crutchlow, Bradl, Pedrosa, Smith, Iannone, etc fan. There's only a few riders I don't like and even they have my respect.

I will be sad to see Rossi go but I'll not stop loving MotoGP.

Last edited:
The trip over this year was challenging, the weather on Friday wasn't much fun. and the front that came through Saturday arvo was pretty intense for a short period. the most annoying thing was the lack of facilities this year. In previous years they have had trucks driving around spreading bark chips over the mud so that you can walk around - not this year. In front of the food stalls around Siberia you had to walk through 2 inches of mud - not pleasant, even for those of us who are prepared for the conditions and wore boots. the lack of toilets this year also lead to a messy situation. It was the worst year ever facility wise I have seen since 2010. I feel bad for the people that took their young kids along to the race, I bet they won't be coming back!

Were you there too?

You're right about the mud and the rest rooms... queues everywhere and the food stall were few in numbers too.

The Expo shed needs to be made bigger - there was hardly any room to walk.

I still had fun...

:D

Back