2012 Honda NC700S

Dustin

NC700S | Honda/2012

Probably the only bike I would consider buying new if it comes to North America. This thing seems like it was purpose-built for me and I love the prospect of a 75+MPG bike with nice low and mid range torque and all that built-in storage and touring potential. Seems built for the Euro-market as they have a 47bhp limit for new riders. This one makes a whole rampaging 47bhp and the 'adventure' model makes 51 so I imagine a North American one would see somewhere around that

NC700s_rsf_luggage-550x397.jpg

NC700x_helmet.jpg

2012-honda-nc700s-16-1024x682.jpg

A nice, simple, efficient commuter with Honda quality. I'll take one please! With all the money I save on gas, that means an R1 or an FZ1 hanging out beside it. Yahoo

Last edited:
IT might be cheap to operate if it's shaft-driven, but it's a Honda and won't be cheap to purchase. (Looks just like the previous gen 599.)

It's chain-driven and rumour has it Honda is going to price it aggressively like they did the CBR250R which wound up being less than the Ninja 250R if I remember right.

Fingers crossed :)

Not my cup of tea.
The low and midrange power would be next to non existent with a total of 47 BHP.
It would make a good commuter though, cheap to run and no balls.

I am inclined to agree with you there. Mind you, it's probably still faster than any of the cars people here drive so maybe it's a moot point. It's a bit of a wash for me trying to decide what I want to do next. I've toyed with the idea of a Gen 2 FZ1 because I'd love something fast again but then I am always coming back to fuel economy and usability.

I thought it might be fun to get a boring bike for my commutes and then go for something with lots of power for weekends, maybe an R1 or something like that. But then I've got two bikes and one is just sitting there most of the time!

Last edited:
I am inclined to agree with you there. Mind you, it's probably still faster than any of the cars people here drive so maybe it's a moot point. It's a bit of a wash for me trying to decide what I want to do next. I've toyed with the idea of a Gen 2 FZ1 because I'd love something fast again but then I am always coming back to fuel economy and usability.

I thought it might be fun to get a boring bike for my commutes and then go for something with lots of power for weekends, maybe an R1 or something like that. But then I've got two bikes and one is just sitting there most of the time!

You definitely don't want a Gen II if fuel economy is your goal lol, mine chuggs the fuel down.

I would love to be able to have two bikes again, however one would be a 600cc track-bike and the other a 1000cc road bike.

I'm not sure I understand why they are using a 700cc engine to make 47hp. I'd think you could get that out of a smaller engine, but if they get 75mpg I guess it's ok. My wife's Ninja 250 only gets about 60-65mpg real world. I think it's rated at 27hp.

I'm not sure I understand why they are using a 700cc engine to make 47hp. I'd think you could get that out of a smaller engine, but if they get 75mpg I guess it's ok. My wife's Ninja 250 only gets about 60-65mpg real world. I think it's rated at 27hp.

I believe they designed this bike specifically to fit into the euro market which has a 47bhp regulation in place for new riders. Reading around, it looks like the North American version would be somewhere more like 55-57bhp as we don't have those kinds of regulations in place.

Easy solution Dustin, get a dualsport 400cc throw on street tires and there is your urban assault good milage bike. OR if you really want milage buy a scooter but don't tell us.

FZ1 for the hooligan rides.

FJR for the long distance.

All three can be had used for the price of a new15k bike.

Other than my DS is for the dirt this plan has been working well for me.

I had a DRZ400SM for a while. Great bike, SO much fun--ultimate hooligan bike. The very day I bought that thing, I was doing things I never thought I would be doing on a bike... jumps, ditches, curbs. It brings out the hooligan in anyone--even my ex was riding on the sidewalks when she borrowed it for a week

The only drawback is that they're very limited as to what you can do with them and highway commuting is awful as well. Trying to maintain 70 or 75mph really sucked back the fuel and with a 10L tank, I was stopping for fuel every 80 miles.

I commute a lot, carry heavy loads (once I had to haul 8 motorcycle tires, a chain and sprockets and a bunch of oil filters on my SV) and often find myself on highways as well.

Seems like the right fit for me is a high mileage naked with proper highway capability and hard, removable cases.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Last edited:
It is an ultimately pragmatic bike Dustin. I think you'd like it. If you get it can I come visit to get a ride?

Norm, you barely know me yet you know me so well! What a guy

You are certainly welcome to visit up here in Vancouver and any of my bikes are at your disposal :)

Oh yeah I forgot about that one because we don't have it in Canada. They are completely different and don't share anything as far as I can tell.

Back