2012 Aprillia Tuono V4 !

Just picked up the April Cycle World. Full test on the new Tuono V4.
Looks like the standard/naked bike segment has a new performance champ.
She's not perfect but a really good review.

Here's a quote from one of the testers.....

" This thing is sick ! 3rd gear power wheelies at 90 mph, and that's at 2600 feet elevation !!! "

Great suspension/handling
153 HP on the dyno. ( cycleworld ) 154hp ( motorcycle.com ) consistent results :)
1/4 mile - 10.07 @140 mph
Top speed 166
factory quick shifter and electronics package ( 3 maps )

Low points
Drive line lash in the lower gears
Goofy fueling off idle/low speed
$14,999........NO THANKS price about the same as 2 left over FZ1's !!

Hope Yamaha uses this bike as the target to beat if we ever get a 3rd Generation FZ1.

Killer sweet bike, but I'll wait for the Japanese equivalent. Just hope I'm not on a Goldwing and sporting dentures by the time the Japanese raise the bar.

Last edited:
AF1 Racing has been working with ECUnleashed to develop flashes for the new V4 Apes. I've not heard an update in a while but I know it will be good. The V4 is an amazing motor.

Like ballmead, I'd own one if cash wasn't a concern. The bike is killer!

super googan said:
Just hope I'm not on a Goldwing and sporting dentures by the time the Japanese raise the bar.

:rofl: That's the truth! :tup:

You know with GP being back to the 1000cc format it sure would be nice if Yamaha would give us a V4 to play with other than the new vmax cruiser/blvd beast based motor.

Just sayin :Rockon:

Yea, that Aprilia is one fast bike. I doubt we'll see anything even close to it from Yamaha because it would be cost prohibitive. Have you guys looked at the prices of the Japanese liter sport bikes? They have gotten very close to that Aprilia...

There will be no gen3 whilst the FZ8 exists. Yamaha is broke
, you only need to looks at WSB & the lack of development atm to see that. By the way top 3 manufactures are all European, my next bike will be V4 Tuono :woot:.

There will be no gen3 whilst the FZ8 exists. Yamaha is broke
, you only need to looks at WSB & the lack of development atm to see that. By the way top 3 manufactures are all European, my next bike will be V4 Tuono :woot:.

The FZ8 will not replace the FZ1, it's just a low cost, midrange option to compete with the likes of the Kwaka Z750, Truimph Street Triple 675, Aprilia Shiver 750, Ducati 796 Monster etc.

Whether or not Yamaha brings out a GenIII only time and Yamaha will tell.

My opinion is this: The FZ8 was brought out to use up and keep producing the FZ1 parts. Two bikes, different classes and sharing a wealth of components. Equals CHEAPER model lines for the 8 & 1.

As in the past, until you see a MAJOR overhaul of their flagship R1 bike, the FZ1 will remain unchanged. The FZ1 is the technology from the previous versions of R1. Until the R1 is revamped, the FZ1 will remain the same. If the R1 is introduced with a new model and a mess of new engineering, then the Gen III FZ1 will inherit a lot of TODAY'S R1 Tech. Follow the Gen I and II line and you can see what I am talking about.

Yamaha does all their R&D on the R1 and that transfers down to ALL other models they offer but the R1 will always have the latest tech and NOT share it with any of their other lines. Period.

My opinion is this: The FZ8 was brought out to use up and keep producing the FZ1 parts. Two bikes, different classes and sharing a wealth of components. Equals CHEAPER model lines for the 8 & 1.

Good point. The FZ8 was a cheaper alternative upgrade to continuing the FZ6 model as like said it uses FZ1 parts so it's cheaper to manufacture and Yamaha save a considerable amount of $$ in the process. Some
Have said the FZ6R was the FZ6 replacement but all in all they are Incomparable. FZ1 shouldn't be going anywhere and yes, will be a couple-few more years before a massive upgrade.

Yamaha might even do a FZ1R to keep the purist happy and to make it look like they do have some interest in the FZ1? as they have done with the FZ8, throw some Ohlins bling front & rear, fly screen, bellypan, GTYR slip-on & charge $$$ 3-4k extra to help move some suprlus stock?. I have my FZ1 for sale atm & i am seriously thinking of doing a 07-08R1 streetfighter if i can find a suitable donor bike for the right $. IMO i will never buy a gen3 with a crossplane if Yamaha ever does produce one, love the sound but dont like the lack of mid-top end pull that gives the FZ1 character.

Last edited:
Back