2011 Maple Festival

Wannabe

The only thing better than just getting on the bike and going is, getting on the bike and going to get FOOD. Gastronomical exploration and motorcycling seem to go hand in hand. I will never understand people who travel new places and seek the same food they had where they started. My mom loves to eat at Cracker Barrels, craving the familiar. :doh2:

Every year Highland County hosts their Maple Festival. It is the perfect opportunity to combine great riding with stupid amounts of great food. Between maple donuts, maple BBQ, and maple ice cream and I lay the George Washington National Forest.

George Washington National Forest by dbascent94, on Flickr

Here is a subset of the above map focusing on a great mix of cambered twisties and high-speed curves. This is Fizzy's natural hunting grounds.

George Washington National Forest Subset by dbascent94, on Flickr

I rode this stretch several times on my old Magna and it was a hoot. On the FZ1, it was a scream. God, I love this bike.

Once you get done playing on the mountains it is time to eat. The first town out of the forest is McDowell. I stopped here last year and never made it to the slightly larger town of Monterey. SO this time around it blew past McDowell and on for another 9 miles to Monterey. This little town in hilly western Va. is usually very sleepy, but was teaming today.

Monterey by dbascent94, on Flickr

Teaming so much in fact, that I couldn't get anything to eat. I want something maple damnit. Back to McDowell, but not before checking out some of the wares.

Walking Staffs by dbascent94, on Flickr

Here was the line to get maple donuts in Monterey.

Donut Line by dbascent94, on Flickr

I headed back the nine miles to McDowell to the Sugar Tree Country Store. This place did not disappoint.

Sugar Tree Country Store by dbascent94, on Flickr

Jars by dbascent94, on Flickr

Maple Recipies by dbascent94, on Flickr

This line to get donuts was much more manageable and moved fairly quickly. I would show you what this elusive donut looks like but I shoved it in my face too quickly. Sorry.

Inside Sugar Tree by dbascent94, on Flickr

The trip from Charlottesville to Monterey was certainly a good opportunity to scrub in the tires.

Chicken Strips by dbascent94, on Flickr

And bonus, the bike is now Liza approved.

Liza approved by dbascent94, on Flickr

Fin
:sport12:

Back