2011 Columbus Oh Econo Bike Build Off

fazer1sniper

I jumped into this little show mid January and built a 'lil bobber chopper out of a chopped up KZ305 frame and a Yam XS400 powerplant. After after a few months I ended with a 8 foot long hard tail chop, 6in streach, 43 degree of rake and a darn near finshed bike. Short of a a new front tire and renewing the '05 tags.
My thread on the build:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/non-fz1-motorcycle-section/10065-yamaha-xs400-project-bike.html
The "point" of the build were to get a working bike (loose rules) for a tolal investment of $500 including the starting bike.
My $276 invested (my man hours not incuded) I ended up with this bike:
04-02-1124.jpg

04-10-112.jpg

Some of the $500(?) and under bikes that showed up on Saturday:
DSCN0353.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

DSCN0323.jpg

DSCN0330-1.jpg

DSCN0350.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0326-1.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

DSCN0345.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

Long story short... I was the "BEST LOSER" got beat of of Best In Show by this Virago:
DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0321-1.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

I guess the Judges like shaft drive....

did any of them go through the process of facbrication as you did with yours?

To me, it looks like paint, tweak the controls a bit, little bit of polish and VIOLA, finished product.

Nope, I had everything so clean and stashed away I don't think the caught it. My bike was "complete" street legal & only needing a new front tire and renewing the tags. That Virago did not get my "builder vote" the electrical was a mess and hanging all over the place. Rear wheel looked off center to me too. I voted for the Cafe.

Okay, I'd have to say, and not being partial, that there is no way I'd have chosen the Virago over you chopper. I think that your bike had way more going on than the other in terms of personality and fit and finish. Yours should have won just for the rear turn signals alone. Then again, I wasn't a judge and so I guess you'll have to settle for "best loser"...............THIS TIME!!!!

Tell them that "WE" over at the FZ forum DEMAND a recount!

Who else married a Kawi/Harley/Yamaha and a pedal bike to get the finished product?!?

Judges

I was involved with Big Truck shows for a number of years. I rarely saw the judges get it right. Flash over effort seemed to win. How mutch effort and planning seemed to be beyond what they could recognise. Of what you showed, yours was the most together and finished, with great little details. It was the crowd favorite over here. I liked the "display detail", behind the bike, nice touch. :party0011:

BroHay: Also a Honda FT500 front end and section of a V45 Magna frame in there too... but what ever.
Oldschool: I dug my little .30 cal ammo box display too. I think it was a "hippy friendly" crowd. One guy who was 82nd Airborne LOVED my bike, but I think we may mave been looked at like the "baby killers" of the group. Screw it... I like my "scout sniper" & "1 shot 1 kill" turnsignals & my grenade on the trees.
And I gotta call it a WIN... loss aside I got another bike I can ride for under $300 total cost!

Maybe if you were in your Ghillie suit with rifle in hand, the point would of been illustrated better (as your sig line suggests)???

As you said, another unique bike for you stable and that is all that matters.

Part of me want's to say that "the fix was in" on who won & part of me wants to think that the judges think there is no way I could have built that bike for under $500. Maybe I should have set up my lap top behind it with a slide show of the build pics you all got to see.

No worries, wolf. I'm over it. I think it was a bunch of buddies judging. I'm planning on getting a good giggle when the front universal of that drive shaft on that Virago scatters in the tube due to the angle he has it at.
DSCN0341.jpg

Back