2011 Calgary Bike Show

I got back just long enough ago to get some pictures processed and up-loaded. I will start with the most pertinent to this forum and then follow with the competition's stuff. Yamaha had very little new stuff, the BIG news from them this year was the Fazer and the FZ-8 and the announcement of the Super Te'ne're' 1200. The Super Ten will be my next bike! I'm not sur when or how but I have a serious case of Moto-Lust!! I gues beauty is in the eye of the beholder, since this one has a face only an owner could love.

I was surprised at how serious Yamaha has gotten with aftermarket for the FZ-8 and Fazer 8. Some of the stuff could be adapted to our bikes for sure.

Here are the start of the photos;

SuperTen1.jpg

Superten2.jpg

Supertenface.jpg

SuperTennaked.jpg

R1racer.jpg

R1paint.jpg

TZR250.jpg

TZRdash.jpg

FZ6R.jpg

2011FZ1.jpg

Fazer8.jpg

FZ8.jpg

FZ8engineguard.jpg

FZ8chinfairing.jpg

FZ8fendereliminator.jpg

FZ8rad.jpg

FZ-8tail.jpg

FZ8rearseatcowl.jpg

Next up the Hondas, They seem very serious about rebuilding a brand image and attracting a new generation to the sport.

Last edited:
The New Hondas

I was impressed with the fit and finish of most of the new Hondas. The New CBR250 was amazing in the quality of finish for what is an entry level bike. It felt every bit as light as the 125R, and has an ABS option. The VFR 1200 that was on a stand last year keeping everyone away from it was out in the open this time. The touring version was fitted with hard cases and a tail rack that was very slick and nicely finished. I was shocked at the price (it had the dual clutch push button transmission) at a whopping $24,000. The Naked supersport was either a love it or hate it and I was in the later camp. Nice comfy seating position but did nothing for me from any angle. I guess they can't please everybody.

2011CBR125.jpg

CBR125.jpg

CBR125dash.jpg

CBR250.jpg

Honda2011CBR250.jpg

VFR1200touring.jpg

Hondasnewnaked.jpg

Next up all the rest.

The rest of the Pictures

I looked at everthing but the Harleys (except as I passed by the booth) The same stuff with new paint. Kawasaki had a huge booth and a great variety of product, they are pretty serious about market share. Suzuki had nothing really new to offer. The Gixxers although perhaps honed even sharper are "seen one seen em' all" . They seem a little stagnant as a company, at least by what they bring to the shows. The KTM booth was very pretty in all the matching colors down to the uniforms, only one bike stood out (clashed) so I took it's picture. Triumph was crowded into a little corner so tightly you could hardly take pictures, and apparently their show co-ordinator is color blind. I could have shot there booth in monochrome for all the variety of paint! Ducati had lots of overpriced but beautiful metal and plastic, all covered in drool.

The rest of the show had the usual trash like the tatoo artists busy suppling hepatitus to the unsuspecting, cheesy frilled leather and german war helmet booths, foot massage and shoe polish hawkers.

All the riding clubs were well represented as well as riding schools, insurance companies etc. Vince the shamwow guy took this year off, probably helping dry out Australia.

DiavelDUC.jpg

MonsterDUC.jpg

MonsterDUCButt.jpg

Diavelinthedetails.jpg

Multistrada1200.jpg

Multistradarear.jpg

990Adventure30thanniversary.jpg

Ninja650R.jpg

Z1000.jpg

KLR650Granite.jpg

TriumphTiger800.jpg

Tigersheart.jpg

Tigersface.jpg

Tiger800eyes.jpg

AugustaMV.jpg

This one is for you Brian I had to take a quick picture and move on as the blood from my upper extremities was moving to an area that would have become embarrasing in a crowd.

I (except my lower back) enjoyed wandering around with the other glassy eyes addicts for many hours. I hope that I provided you with a few minutes of entertainment! :icon_beer:

Last edited:
OK, been talkin' to Mr. Patron and we both agree those square bags hangin' on the super tennis are just butt ugglly! Geez, mamma yamma builds a nice bike with some sweet areo lines and then hang those things on it? Come on, give me a brake and dream up with something better.
For the kind of bucks they want for the 1200 pleeease give me some style without looking like a fu&*^ng BMW. :banghead:
Time for another shot :icon_beer:

OK, been talkin' to Mr. Patron and we both agree those square bags hangin' on the super tennis are just butt ugglly! Geez, mamma yamma builds a nice bike with some sweet areo lines and then hang those things on it? Come on, give me a brake and dream up with something better.
For the kind of bucks they want for the 1200 pleeease give me some style without looking like a fu&*^ng BMW. :banghead:
Time for another shot :icon_beer:

It seem to be what buyers want. Those bags don't come standard over here, and cost a pretty penny (and watch how many bikes will be sporting them). The Super Tenere' has the BMW square in it's marketing sights, both spec' and price-wise. Just about every Adventure rider out there (a friend of mine included) rushed out to buy a set of square, utilitarian boxes for the back of their machine. They are what they are, useful storage boxes. If you go on trips that stretch into months rather than days (or hours) they come in handy for all the trappings we seem to need to drag along.

GIVI and many other companies have bags and much more available for this bike already. The Givi bags are more rounded and open sideways (a lot more form over function) Top opening cases are so much better in this type of application (and in most really).

Last edited:
The 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere'

The Highlight of Yamaha's booth for me was the new Paris Dakar rally inspired Super Tenere'. A 1199cc liquid cooled DOHC 8-valve inline twin.
It uses similar tech' to what the R1 crossplane engine pioneered. The Super Ten' has an uneven firing order of 270* & 450* said to improve power and traction to the ground much as the crossplane R1 engine does. It is reported to have a sound reminisent of a 70's muscle car.Rated at 110 bhp and 84 ft./lbs. torque.

WASPWORKSSuperTenere.jpg

The beast in its natural setting, courtesy of a member of ADV in Australia
WaspWorks.com, Precision Crafted Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories

SuperTensheart.jpg

Throttle bodies
Supertenrightsidedetails.jpg

detailsofSuperTen.jpg

Supertenslowerleft.jpg

It uses dual 46mm downdraft throttle bodies and sophiticated electronics with 2 postion, 4 mode fuel mapping available on the fly. Unified ABS, shaft drive and spoked rims with tubless tires. The last 2 big selling points for long distance riders like me. Small touches like built in 12 volt outlet on the dash, and handguards as factory equipment.

Supertenundertank.jpg

The ABS plumbing
Supertensdash.jpg

The dash
Supertensfrontwheel.jpg

Supertensrearwheelandshaftdrive.jpg

Shaft drive spokes and tubeless tires:tup:
Supertensfrontspokesetup.jpg

Tubeless wheels and strong spoke setup
The seat for the pilot is easily adjustable in 4 positions. The pillon seat is removable and has a built in cargo deck underneath that when combined with the small rack out back makes for ample space to load camping gear. The rear shock is easily adjustable for spring preload without tools and adjusts for rebound and compression. The 43mm Inverted Forks are fully adjustable.

Supertenseatadjuster.jpg

Simple, tool free pilot seat adjustment
Supertensreardeckpassengerdeck.jpg

Carrier deck under pillon seat
Supertensrearshock.jpg

easy to adjust rear shock said to be excellent
She is a chunky beast at 576lbs. claimed wet weight but from sitting on it seems to carry that low. It has a very upright riding position much like the KLR

eyeswithoutaface.jpg

powerfull well designed headlights
faceofthesuperten.jpg

She may not be a looker but she's got a great personality.

There is a proper aluminum skid plate availble to protect the one obvious weakness of the forward facing spin-on oil filter.
Supertensfilter.jpg

The stock plastic skid plate leaves the end of the filter exposed. Easy to fix with many manufacturers already offering aluminum, full coverage skid plates. I know the importance of these for any serious offroad fun.

Last edited:
Back