2008 slow acceleration

I've done searches and nothing really answered my question. Anyway I've had R1s, a 1st Gen FZ1, supermotos, etc etc. Anyway I just picked up a 2008 Fz1 that is bone stock. If I crack the throttle wide open from a stop it seems to take a good solid second to even start to think about pulling hard. What gives? Is this a common ailment? This bike has set a bunch in the last 2 years but I put premium fuel and a dash of seafoam to help clean up any varnish if there was any. If you whacked the throttle on my 1st gen you got a power wheelie almost instantly. I wish I knew someone with an FZ1 nearby I could try out to see if its just me...

I've done searches and nothing really answered my question. Anyway I've had R1s, a 1st Gen FZ1, supermotos, etc etc. Anyway I just picked up a 2008 Fz1 that is bone stock. If I crack the throttle wide open from a stop it seems to take a good solid second to even start to think about pulling hard. What gives? Is this a common ailment? This bike has set a bunch in the last 2 years but I put premium fuel and a dash of seafoam to help clean up any varnish if there was any. If you whacked the throttle on my 1st gen you got a power wheelie almost instantly. I wish I knew someone with an FZ1 nearby I could try out to see if its just me...

I would check the gas line under the tank for the "dreaded kink". If the tank was "up" for any reason, there is a chance that the line was kinked when it was put back down. Does it pull hard high into the RPM range once it starts pulling? If so, it may be something else. First things first. Check the line. Oh, and welcome to the group!

At what rpm are you cracking the throttle wide open?
Once the bike gets to around 7000 rpm, it should start to hammer.
They are a bit weak under 7000 rpm, especially stock.

I would check the gas line under the tank for the "dreaded kink". If the tank was "up" for any reason, there is a chance that the line was kinked when it was put back down. Does it pull hard high into the RPM range once it starts pulling? If so, it may be something else. First things first. Check the line. Oh, and welcome to the group!

yeah it pulls hard at any RPM above 5000. My R1 was like trying to ride a raging bull so maybe my expectations were too high. thanks for the welcome. :)

It took a lot of mods to get my off the line/mid range punch in the respectable range, But even still it is a whole different animal above 7500 rpm.

Back