2008 FZ1 with 25k Miles?

I've been looking for a used FZ1 for a couple of months now and finally found two for sale in my area. Both 2008's. One only has 3k miles and is black (my preference) but has no touring accessories yet. The second has 25,000 miles, is red, but has side and back luggage, touring windshield and seat, Garmin GPS mount, and more. And it's $2k less expensive than the first one.

I'm tempted to get the high-mileage FZ1 but am curious what is considered "high" mileage for an FZ1? I've searched a few forums and can't seem to find many opinions.

I'm going to make the drive (about an hour and a half) to see both bikes on Wednesday. I'll likely get one or the other, and really appreciate any advice.

Here are the two postings:

2008 Yamaha FZ1 Mint Condition! Low Miles! Extras!

2008 Yamaha FZ1

Thanks

I looked at both and it's true that the black one is awesome looking and has really low miles. The red one however has all the gear on it which if you had to buy separately would cost an arm and a leg. 25,000 miles is nothing for this bike, especially if like the ad says, it was well maintained. Ask to see all the service records. If he is stressing the fact that it's well maintained then he should have kept good records to back that up. There is nothing wrong with that kind of mileage on these motors. I myself would go with the red one. Hell, you'd get it for a great price and if you wanted to, you could sell the luggage and make back some good money.

He's the dealer, or he was anyway (used to own the Yamaha dealership) and this was a customer's bike. He claims the customer did all the major maintenance with the dealership but did oil changes himself. He said it was traded in and he kept it as his personal motorcycle.

How can I tell if it's been well maintained? Should I get it checked out by a mechanic? Anything I can look out for?

look in the nooks/crannies -- is it just a superficial clean or is there dirt in not to easy to get places?

If the service records show rountine service, other than oil changes, you can probably venture to say that the oil changes were done in a similar fashion.

It also boils down to the read of the people when you go to look at the bike(s) and how much you can afford to pay in the end.

Upon initial look, I'd vote for the RED as well. If touring is not your thing, good mod money to be had in the present setup.

Good Luck,
Adam

I have priced the GIVI equipment. He has roughly $1000 in that alone plus the labor for installation. The ZUMI mount is nice but the ZUMIs are very expensive just so you know. If the price were the same I would go with the black one but I think he is a little high on his asking price. One thing I look for on used bikes and cars is performance modifications. I don't like them at all unless I put them on. It can mean that the owner has dogged the bike around. The fact that the red bike was used in a touring fashion means that the owner did in fact put money into the bike, probably put money in for maintenance and didn't dog it around since it was more for touring. I would see if you can check the records of maintenance (that may be hard), look at the cosmetic appearance of the bike, ask about mods, look at the oil to see if it is tanned or dark, ride it up and down an uncrowded street to check to see how well it shifts. (mine shifts hard out of first and it was low mileage, just so you know) and then see if will come down on price. By the way if you get the red bike and don't want the GIVI equip, PM me and I may buy it from you.

I have priced the GIVI equipment. He has roughly $1000 in that alone plus the labor for installation. The ZUMI mount is nice but the ZUMIs are very expensive just so you know. If the price were the same I would go with the black one but I think he is a little high on his asking price. One thing I look for on used bikes and cars is performance modifications. I don't like them at all unless I put them on. It can mean that the owner has dogged the bike around. The fact that the red bike was used in a touring fashion means that the owner did in fact put money into the bike, probably put money in for maintenance and didn't dog it around since it was more for touring. I would see if you can check the records of maintenance (that may be hard), look at the cosmetic appearance of the bike, ask about mods, look at the oil to see if it is tanned or dark, ride it up and down an uncrowded street to check to see how well it shifts. (mine shifts hard out of first and it was low mileage, just so you know) and then see if will come down on price. By the way if you get the red bike and don't want the GIVI equip, PM me and I may buy it from you.

That was my thinking exactly. When you see the touring set-up you hope that the guy was using the bike for just that purpose. It's not to say that he couldn't have abused the bike. Anyhow, he's checking out both and he'll have to make a decision when he's done.

Well the low mileage one is overpriced IMHO. As for the high mileage one (really not that high) I would only worry about the valves since they should be checked/adjusted at 26k miles. Also that Givi setup that he has on it is not the newer V35 side cases, but I guess they still work fine. If what you want is to do sport touring then get the bike that's already all set up for it.

That first one has been for sale for a while. I think I've seen it on the other board's classified during the summer. There are some better deals out there. I know someone who just got a gen2 with the "high" mileage for under $4k.

One other thing to think about is those that mod then return to stock for selling. Just because it's stock doesn't mean it was always stock.

NADA lists any 2008 FZ1, at BEST, $5,600.00. Offer them $5500 OTD and if they don't bite, go for the loaded one, or, if you would buy all/most of that stuff, get the loaded one by all means. I've got 11k on my bike and it is just entering its 3rd season. 25k miles is low for a Yamaha. :D

That red touring one was up for sale on Feb 25th when I was shopping for my FZ1. I live in Chattanooga, so I was looking in the ATL craigslist as well.

Ended up finding my 2006 like new, with 1308 miles, and stock aside from Sargent seat for $4250 from a dealer that had JUST posted it on ebay. :nana:

All this just after selling my beat up 2002 GSX-R 1000 with 28,000 miles on it for $4000 to a poor sap the day before.

Ok, I'll stop bragging. Keep looking, you CAN find a sweeter deal! Check the Birmingham, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Nashville craigslists as well! Oh, and ebay.

I was concerned about the high-mileage bike because the owner claimed to have owned the Yamaha dealership and gave me a story about the previous owner of the bike, but it just didn't add up. If he owned the dealership he should have known how important it was to keep the maintenance records, and he had none. I do want some cases but prefer the black to the dark red.

I went up last night and took cash and talked the guy down a bit on the black one with low miles. He also gave me the complete history and receipts for the few add-ons he put on (mostly just body and fork protectors, whatever they're called) and a nice tank bag he bought for it.

I am now the proud owner of an '08 FZ1. I'm going to look at some bags and a GPS now...

Thanks for all the advice!

I was concerned about the high-mileage bike because the owner claimed to have owned the Yamaha dealership and gave me a story about the previous owner of the bike, but it just didn't add up. If he owned the dealership he should have known how important it was to keep the maintenance records, and he had none. I do want some cases but prefer the black to the dark red.

I went up last night and took cash and talked the guy down a bit on the black one with low miles. He also gave me the complete history and receipts for the few add-ons he put on (mostly just body and fork protectors, whatever they're called) and a nice tank bag he bought for it.

I am now the proud owner of an '08 FZ1. I'm going to look at some bags and a GPS now...

Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats buddy! I'm sure you would have been happy with whatever one you chose. So........Where's the pictures!!!!????

Here you go!

5558549166_c6fbfaa891_z.jpg

5557965501_7b22aeeeef_z.jpg

5558548910_af7b2d8e68_z.jpg

5557965233_47fe4e48c7_z.jpg

Back