2008 FZ1 possible fuelling issue.

Hi All Newbie here.

I have just bought a new 2008 FZ1, I read that the earlier fuelling issues with these bikes had been sorted by the time the 2008 model came out. The issue I have with mine is when I want to do a steady 30 ish mph and use an almost closed throttle the bike seems to lurch then slow, it just is not smooth. If it where a carbed bike I would say the cabs need balancing. Does any one have or had the same problem, if so did it get better as the dealer seems to be saying or did it need something doing to fix it?

Many thanks
Rockardbiker:p

Hi All Newbie here.

I have just bought a new 2008 FZ1, I read that the earlier fuelling issues with these bikes had been sorted by the time the 2008 model came out. The issue I have with mine is when I want to do a steady 30 ish mph and use an almost closed throttle the bike seems to lurch then slow, it just is not smooth. If it where a carbed bike I would say the cabs need balancing. Does any one have or had the same problem, if so did it get better as the dealer seems to be saying or did it need something doing to fix it?

Many thanks

First let me say welcome to the site. You got Billy here from NY. My 01' had the same issues with the slight stumbling. Although it has carbs and not EFI, it was fixed by being jetted. After I had Ivan's kit installed it was all but gone. The bike runs perfect now. As for the later models, there is also a fix for that. I don't know all of whats entailed but someone will soon chime in with some answers for you my friend. Welcome again. Post some pics of your bike when you have a chance. Thanks, Billy.

Hi All Newbie here.

Many thanks

I ride an 08, now with 1200 miles on. Fueling is spot on. Suggest you take it to the dealers..

I ride an 08, now with 1200 miles on. Fueling is spot on. Suggest you take it to the dealers..

Hi Mike and Thanks, I have mentioned it to the dealer who suggested I wait until the 600 mile service to see if it improves. The bike does need to go in in a couple of weeks to have a new front wheel fitted as this one arrived with deep scratches on it, so I think I will get them to look at it then as I am not ridding it now because of the fuelling issue puts me off, especially when I have the speed tipple to ride instead..

First let me say welcome to the site. You got Billy here from NY. My 01' had the same issues with the slight stumbling. Although it has carbs and not EFI, it was fixed by being jetted. After I had Ivan's kit installed it was all but gone. The bike runs perfect now. As for the later models, there is also a fix for that. I don't know all of whats entailed but someone will soon chime in with some answers for you my friend. Welcome again. Post some pics of your bike when you have a chance. Thanks, Billy.

Hi Billy, and thanks mate. I may go for a PCIII anyway but do you think it might correct this issue if the dealer is unable to?

Terry

I have a 2008 FZ that I've managed to put a little over 2000 miles on and it has great fuel delivery and always has. Some of the ealier bikes had some minor low speed off/on suddenness that has been taken care of. If you have a new bike and you are expeniencing surging or any other problem, I'd suggest to your dealer to fix it or buy it back.

have the earlier 07 model - resolved most of the problem by installing pc111 and having bike dyno'd. it still has typical in line 4 low end lag however once it passes thru 3k appears to be well sorted. added the k&n and a micron slip on and am very happy with performance.

Hi, thought I'd add to this thread. My '08 is very smooth responding to throttle even as low as 2000 rpm. I keep the sparkplugs clear by running to 7000+ rpm when safe in the lower gears. Also, after trying different octane of fuel, it runs best with 87 AKI (US) which would be a mid or low EU octane. When back at the dealer have them check and lube the throttle cable as this helps too :)

I have an 08 model. Before it had the PCIII it was fine now it's silky smooth. I tried an 07 (back in 07 funnilly enough) and the fuelling on that was very dodgy...it actually put me off the bike. I'd take it to the dealer first before you spend any hard earned and get them to check the TPS just in case.

I have an 08 model. Before it had the PCIII it was fine now it's silky smooth. I tried an 07 (back in 07 funnilly enough) and the fuelling on that was very dodgy...it actually put me off the bike. I'd take it to the dealer first before you spend any hard earned and get them to check the TPS just in case.

Thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but what is TPS?

I tell ya, I just bought a new 2008 (red) and fueling is spot on ! Love the bike and runs great. I have found that everything does smooth out over time as the bike breaks in. But it should not be an issues, especially 2008. For a the price, the FZ really is just a great deal. I mean a high end mountain bike costs as much !

Thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but what is TPS?

Not too sure about the injected models, but on the carbed models such as mine, it's a small sensor on the right side of the carb assembly. It has 2 wires going to it. It's very small and has 2 small screws holding it down. There is a way to check it through the tach yourself if the Gen2 bikes even have one. I will send you a link that is a must read. It has very good info for you. I will find it and post it in a minute. Billy.

I finally managed to take the FZ1 back to the dealer, they found that the throttle bodies were out of balance, they have corrected this and now the fuelling seems good. but there is a vibration at tickover.

What is the tickover speed on your FZ1's?

Hi All Newbie here.

Many thanks

Hi, I have a 58 FZ1N, never had any problems since Trevor at Skellerns in Cheltenham had a look at it, my advice would be take it to him to have a look at, and its relatively local, let me know how you get on. Cheers. Mark

Back