2008 FZ 1 - TB Exhaust - Popping bad :(

Two Wheels

Gents:

Power Commander III coming Friday with the 2008 FZ1 map already downloaded. Currently I have the Two Brothers Carbon slip ons and they are popping bad. Bike doesnt sound good at all.

I installed the slips on, step by step. The only think I did not do was apply the silicon. Forgot, but the fits are tight, looks fine, but sounds krapy and pops :(

Will the PC III fix this ? Is there anything else I could have wrong ? No new air filter, stock.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine did the same thing. Plugging the AIS pretty much solved the issue but it still has some limited pop on hard decelleration. I will be getting a PC V for it, just don't have the cash at the moment. This did help a lot though!

what would i gain by pluggin the ais? so far i have gutted pre-cat, airbox mod, removed flies, and ordering a tb slip on i dont pop bad now but what would i gain from the ais block

stupid question, but my Gen I came with the AIS removed already. Does something similar apply as far as blocking, to eliminate popping?

The AIS, or Air Induction System, is an emissions valve that injects fresh air into the exhaust ports to mix with the unburned fuel from the engine so that the CAT will burn it off with the provided oxygen injected. When you replace the stock restrictive exhaust, this frees up the exhaust flow and the air/fuel mixture will make popping sounds as it combusts in the CAT or, if you've gutted it, in the slip-on exhaust.

By blocking the fresh air flow, you've cut off most of this process which reduces the popping but also increases your carbon footprint as your bike is now placing unburned fuel into the air.

Once you get a PC III or V, the best thing to do is find a dyno that offers a 4 gas deep probe to tune your bike. You can have the bike tuned throughout the gears (and with the PC V, each cylinder as well!) for performance and/or MPG.

So, would the same apply for a Gen I AIS removal?? Which line would I check to see if it had been plugged??

Aaron?? b/c I do have to wipe the exhaust tip from time to time and have a light layer of carbon on the towel when cleaning....

Adam

Sorry Adam. I am unsure on the GEN I which hose to check but I am assuming it would be a hose attached to the airbox after the filter and before the stacks. It would lead to a small inline valve which them branches to to more hoses that end at the top of the engine. (This is the GEN II setup). I don't know if the GEN I is like this, or maybe you have the whole thing already removed and blockoff plates installed?

When the AIS is removed from the Gen 1, all of the connections are removed.... the things plugged are: a hole at the top of the airbox that used to have a line running from AIS pump to the airbox.. and the holes in the header... everything else is removed...

some popping is normal... but... report back after you jet it.

The Power Commander with the TB map (on its own) does not solve this. Still each to their own I rather like the "popping". Interestingly i also fitted TB's to my R1 and they/it does not pop

Back