Admin

Administrator
Staff member
2007 Yamaha FZ1

2007FZ1.jpg

Quicker, better on the race track
But not the tourer that it used to be

Nov 25, 2006
Yamaha took the pavement-shredding motor and fully adjustable suspension from the sporty R1, added comfortable ergonomics, a convenient centre stand and a half fairing for wind protection, and created the successful FZ1 in 2001.
It was gobbled up by riders who enjoyed the power, the great handling and the all-day comfort from the upright riding position.
The FZ1 is so good, it perennially resides near the top of my annual Top 5 list.
So why mess with success? Progress waits for no one and earlier this year, Yamaha introduced some major changes for the Fazer (its European monicker).
A new aluminum twin-beam frame is 80 mm narrower and nine kilos lighter than the old steel unit. The aluminum swingarm is longer but the wheelbase is the same, making for quick handling, but shifting weight distribution more towards the front of the motorcycle.
The previous generation R1 motor is slightly detuned (and I stress slightly — it's still close to 150 hp) for less top end and more midrange. Carburetors have been deep-sixed in favour of seamless EFI, which helps with cold starts, aids driveability and overall performance. Honestly, you can idle this thing all the way down to 1500 r.p.m. in sixth and it pulls away cleanly with no hiccups or glitches.
The forks went in the dumpster and were replaced by male-slider units wearing Moto GP technology — compression damping is handled by the left fork while rebound is property of the right. Braking was never an issue on earlier FZs, but the front rotors were increased by 25 mm to 320 mm and are squeezed by four-pot calipers.
The FZ1's seat height was lowered slightly and positioned 50 mm farther forward. Bars are slightly lower with a different bend and the footpegs have been relocated for a more natural, forward-leaning riding position while the higher windscreen provides even better weather protection.
While the riding position has been improved, the seat is definitely not as plush as the original. It's hard, flat and not nearly as comfy.
The styling has been sharpened for a slightly more angular, modern look but the most prominent feature is the angular Moto GP-inspired muffler hanging off the right side of the machine. Even though it's got an odd, angular shape, it's tucked in well and emits a pleasing, civilized exhaust note.
The FZ's focus has been narrowed more toward the sporting end of the equation. It's noticeably lighter, has much better driveability, the brakes are improved and it steers better.
At Calabogie Motorsports Park's grand opening, I pushed the Fazer much harder than anyone could on the street. It tracked well around the myriad uphill, downhill, blind and decreasing radius turns.
Keep the motor on the boil and the Yamaha consistently pulled 225 km/h on the track's straight, showing plenty of punch. The brakes were fade-free and consistent. The new bike is a much better track day peg-scraper than the older version.
But, in the interest of providing Wheels readers with the best information available, I enlisted my buddy Ron Peter and his '02 FZ1 for an early October "fall colours" ride to compare the new model with the old.
During the 700-km day, where we swapped back and forth, both FZ1s were about as good a mount as you could pick for Ontario roads.
They were both all-day comfortable, handled bumps and potholes well and possess more than enough acceleration to deal with the occasional lumbering motorhome or line of minivans.
Peter's done extensive touring on his Fazer (including riding to Cape Breton with me last year and a 20,000-km tour to California this year), and prefers the seat and riding position of the "old" version.
Conversely, he really likes the way the new bike handles and appreciates the weight reduction.
The only appreciable difference is that surprisingly, the fuel-injected motor used one to two litres more fuel at every gas stop — no matter who was riding it — and the slightly smaller fuel tank on the new model means more frequent gas stops.
When the '06 went on reserve, I could only get 10 litres in the 18-litre tank; a more accurate fuel gauge would be appreciated.
Overall, the new FZ1 is an improvement on the model it replaces in some areas (handling, steering, power, wind protection) but not as good in others (mid-range punch, fuel economy and touring range). It's up to potential buyers to decide whether they like the changes.
I'd say the Fazer is still up near the top of my list, but maybe down a position or two.

Posted From: 2007 Yamaha FZ1

Can you tell me the year after which you get the biggest bang for your buck so-to speak? Meaning, it seems that in 2007 the FZ1 became more racy. Adjustable shocks, etc. It seems I should shop from '07 forward. Or am I wrong there?

in 07 there were some qwerks that were "fixed" mainly the throttle snatch and the rear spring rate. I have an 07 and you can definitely feel the EFI kick in no matter how lightly you roll on the throttle. I can't imagine what the 06 must feel like when rolling on the throttle in a turn.

Ivans performance makes a Fuel Cut Eliminator for all the EFI FZ1s.

Back