2006 FZ1 rear brake issue

Hi All,

I have just changed my rear brake pads on my FZ1 and bled the system afterwards. The issue I now have is there is no feel at all in the pedal. When bleeding there was no bubbles in the line at all but after spending a hour on it, it is no better. I have noticed when operating the pedal the caliper moves/rocks from the piston side, is this normal ? as I've only just noticed it after trying to troubleshoot my issue. Both caliper mounting bolts are in and torqued up correctly and I have fitted the shims off the old pads but also tried the pads without them either way doesn't make a difference.

Any advice would be a great help.

It may just still have air in it. You could try the 'pump and hold' method where you close the system, pump the brakes several times and hold it down while cracking the bleeder. With the front brake, I sometimes will zip tie the brake lever with the brakes on and crack the reservoir a tiny bit. If you leave it overnight, any trapped air will eventually make it to the top and escape out of the crack. You could try that with the rear brake somehow.

I would bleed the system again because it is very likely that there is air trapped. Pump it 10 times, hold and then open the bleed screw. Allow the brake to bottom out, hold and tighten the bleed screw. Repeat until you get pressure and ensure you keep the reservoir from draining. Be patient. Mine took a longer than I expected.

It may be simply a case of the pads need bedding in to get a decent feel , if you have any wear on the disc there may well be little feel to the pedal until a few miles have been clocked up

I had the exact same issue and it was air in the brake line. I thought I got it all out but when my friend came over he helped and lo and behold, thaere was a lot of air left in the ine that I wasn't able to bleed out on my own.

Update.

I opted to go for the reverse bleed method using the syringe from the caliper back to the reservoir. A few air bubbles came through nothing massive. Then bled it back in the conventional way, pumping the pedal 5-10 times, cracking the bleed nipple and so on. Got a few extra bubbles that way then once it ran clear nipped everything back up and still no joy.

Then I removed the caliper mounting bolts and gave it a pump and it was solid feedback....... I replaced the rear mounting bolt (12mm) still good. Then I go to re fit the front caliper mounting bolt (14mm) and it all goes soft again. From this I can gather that the system is air free but not sure what would cause this. The front mounting bolt doesn't spin in by hand like the rear one but requires next to no effort with a ratchet so I do not think it has cross threaded.

Back