2006 FZ1 - Issues?

Looking at buying a low-mileage '06 FZ1, and wanted to know if there are any issues compared to '07, '08, '09 that I should be aware of. It's red, and I haven't had any luck finding a silver one.

I think this bike is a good deal, but want to make sure there weren't important problems fixed in later years (vibration?) that should make me look at spending a bit more money to get a newer bike. Wikipedia says '06 bikes had a throttle snatch problem that was fixed in '07, and also softer rear shock spring - can either or both of these be easily achieved via aftermarket mods or the like?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It depends on how good a deal you're getting. My "08" seemed to me to have a bit of an abrupt throttle till I got used to it. Now after nine months and 11,000 miles it seems normal. Maybe you should take it for a ride if you have your license and make the determination yourself.

Two thoughts: Dealers tend to significantly reduce price on new but, off-year models. I purchased a new '08 this summer for $7,300, while the '09, with no upgrades I'm aware of, was $9,799. (The bank listed the value of my bike @ $9,299.) Secondly, many on this forum with '06 bikes complain of "fuel cutoff" problems-creating problems with quick changes in accel/decel. Apparently, there's an aftermarket part-Ivan's FCE-that solves the issue?
Bear in mind a new bike has a manufactures warranty. Other than that, I'm a big fan of used bikes-if it's a great deal.:sport12:

BTW, I wouldn't pay over $5,000

Last edited:
Yea, great deals on used bikes right now. I paid $5500 for my '06 at the beginning of June and it only had 3500 miles plus over $1k in mods.

I hadn't heard about the spring rate being different, but the throttle snatch is easily fixed with Ivan's FCE, which sells for $195. The throttle snatch did get improved in the '07 and up models, but it's still there and as Lonerider said sometimes it just takes time to get used to the throttle. Good luck with your purchase and by the way the red ones are the faster ones :D

Thanks both -

Polestar, did you buy your FZ1 from South Bound by any chance, and if so, what do you think of them? Another bike I'm considering is for sale up there...

thanks again!

Polestar, did you buy your FZ1 from South Bound by any chance, and if so, what do you think of them? Another bike I'm considering is for sale up there...

No. I drove an hour north to Woodinville, WA and Ride Motorsports. Local dealers didn't lower their prices near as much on the FZ1 (Anyway, South Bound doesn't sell Yamaha and I knew I wanted an FZ1). However, I've done business with South Bound. Their bike prices never impressed me, however service was done well on my Honda 599 and accessory prices were typical. My impression is they'll ask top dollar for bikes, but I don't think their crooks. To be honest, I can't give you a stong :tup: or :tdown: Sorry.

BTW, Cal Coast Motorsports Ventura, CA is selling a NEW 2007 for $6,999. Check out Cycle Trader. That's where I found my deal. Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks Polestar - unfortunately the FZ1 being sold in Ventura has 5,801 miles. Not a bad price, bur I'd rather buy new if the right deal can be struck...

My mistake. Right, that's way too high for a 2, almost 3 year old used FZ1 with no warranty.

I have an 06 that I'm riding right now and I don't really notice any problem with the throttle- seems smooth compared to my Aprilia Tuono.
I agree with the folks who recommend used- usually a great deal, and a 1000cc bike is pretty hard to hurt. it will usually hurt you long before you hurt it. Too bad you are not on the east coast- I'd make you a great deal on this one.

I have not noticed any issues with my 06, thank god. ( only dealership around thats not almost a hr away just closed it doors for good ) I enjoy my bike more and more everytime I ride it.

I have a 2006 FZ1S that I bought new. No issues whatsoever, this is an incredible good roadbike. My bike has 7000km's on the clock now and things have loosened up like it does on new bikes.

I have an Ohlins shock in the rear. The forks was set a factory base settings first, and then I have backed out compression damping 4 clicks. I have a 190/55 tire in the rear. First I thought of changing the bars, but I just adjusted it a bit, loosened the clamp and pulled back and down a little, the bars go from totally horisontal to angled down a bit which set the hands/wrists at a more natural position. I have no plans at the moment to swap exhaust or change anything on the fuel injection side. The std exhaust can looks good and sound nice too. I like the muffled sound, more "boooooooooo" than "roaaaaaaaaarrrr" if you know what I mean ;) The power delivery is very smooth and linear, I can't really motivate any change.

Last edited:
Back