2006 FZ1 camshaft obsolete?????

Why are the 2006 exhaust cams already obsolete on a 6 year old bike????:wtf:

Obsolete - an adjective - meaning no longer in production or out of date.

It is, after all, a seven year old bike. Parts should still be available for it if what you mean is that it is worn out. It would depend on the mileage and the maintenance given.

I'm confused... I have an 06, do I need to worry about my cam? I've never noticed anything that would suggest something is happening or going wrong. I also try to keep up with oil changes and other maintenance.

I'm confused... I have an 06, do I need to worry about my cam? I've never noticed anything that would suggest something is happening or going wrong. I also try to keep up with oil changes and other maintenance.

Nope. You're good.

Yamaha is just consolidating parts catalogues.

I'm in the fiches regularly with my project and they've been doing this since the beginning of the year.

If you need parts order ones from a newer FZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have a 2006 FZ1 I bought used from a dealer with 21,000 miles. Bike is in MINT condition, garage kept since new.
I wanted to go through the bike before summer and one of the things to check on my list was valve clearances. When I inspected the valve lash I discovered all the intakes were way out of spec. One intake had .035" clearance! I returned the bike to the dealer for them verify my findings and they told me the intake cam lobes were bad and the exhaust cam was starting to show signs of wear.
I purchased the warranty and I'm currently waiting for the green light to repair. Mind you I only had the bike for 2 months and only put 150 miles on it.:tup:

Are you talking .035" between the valve and cam lobe? If so that had to be making some noise I mean thats almost 3/8 of an inch. It couldn't have been running worth crap.

Last edited:
Are you talking .035" between the valve and cam lobe? If so that had to be making some noise I mean thats almost 3/8 of an inch. It couldn't have been running worth crap.

The .035 clearance was between the cam lobe and the shim (.375 is 3/8 of an inch by the way). The bike ran okay but had a nasty high frequency vibration at 5000 RPM and higher while crusing. I was told by the dealer the intake camshaft was bad and the exhaust cam was starting to show signs of wear. He was told by Yamaha that they had issues with the cams and they were sending new ones straight from Japan to replace my bad ones. No dealers have any exhaust cams in stock, they are marked 'obsolete' and I think this is why. I also asked about the intake valve stems and he said they were all good, no signs of wear and also said the oil pump was checked and was okay. My warranty is covering all cost for the repairs.

Last edited:
Back