2006 fork seal

I have a fork seal that is leaking only when the fork moves. It leaves a film on the inner tube. It is only few months old seal. Any ideas on how to fix it with out putting in new one in. I dont think the person who did it knew what he was doing and took shortcuts. I have not sure he did not overfil the tube with oil.

I have a fork seal that is leaking only when the fork moves. It leaves a film on the inner tube. It is only few months old seal. Any ideas on how to fix it with out putting in new one in. I dont think the person who did it knew what he was doing and took shortcuts. I have not sure he did not overfil the tube with oil.

Well if you're not sure if it was done correctly then you should just redo it. The leak will probably only get worse. The seals themselves are relatively cheap, just time consuming to replace.

Although replacing a seal isn't all that difficult, making sure it's done right and all the parts are in the right order can make the difference between fixing it and just replacing a bad seal with a ruined one. Make sure you take a look at a parts diagram ( you can see them on many places like Bike Bandit) and you'll know if it's correct.

UPdate

I took the forks off dumped the oil out of both and cleaned them. The fork seal that was leaking was UPSIDE DOWN. So with the new seal, two new dust seals no more leaks. I also put on Conti Sportattack tires.

The only thing that I did not as the manual was I used 5w oil. I had read on another forem that it would give better control with stock valves. It does seem to be smoother.

It was alot simpler than I thought it would be, I have some skills with tools. I would tell most not to fear the forks just take your time, take pic as you go, do your best to keep things clean, ask questions, and do a little reading.

Thanks for all the ideas and help folks.

I took the forks off dumped the oil out of both and cleaned them. The fork seal that was leaking was UPSIDE DOWN. So with the new seal, two new dust seals no more leaks. I also put on Conti Sportattack tires.

The only thing that I did not as the manual was I used 5w oil. I had read on another forem that it would give better control with stock valves. It does seem to be smoother.

It was alot simpler than I thought it would be, I have some skills with tools. I would tell most not to fear the forks just take your time, take pic as you go, do your best to keep things clean, ask questions, and do a little reading.

Thanks for all the ideas and help folks.

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved. As you suspected the person that previously worked on it didn't know what they were doing...upside down seal :doh2::eek5::wtf:

Back