2002 FZ1 for my first bike

I'm sorry. I don't necessarily agree with others that say go for it. As a beginner rider you are going to make beginners mistakes. You will drop the bike in a parking lot, go into a turn too fast, accidentally give it too much throttle, etc...
With such a big, heavy, fast bike, the possibility of you getting seriously hurt are very good. At the very least you may get frustrated and feel the sport is not for you and give up on it all together.

My advice to you is to leave the FZ1 in your living room for now. Go back on Craig's list and find something much smaller and lighter and with a lot less power to learn how to ride. Take the MSF course, or even go to a driving school and take some lessons. Learn as much as you can. When you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, then and only then would I recommend you take out the FZ1. Trust me. You will thank me later.

Thanks. I've been thinking about this bike for the last couple of days since I purchased it (I'd really like the way it look and fit me....though a bit heavy). As a matter of fact, my wife just call me from work early this afternoon and recommends the exact same thing you've just mentioned here. She told me to either sell this bike or keep it (but do not ride it) and buy a 250/500cc bike to practice on....Then when I've enough experience, I can take out the FZ1 and ride it.

The thing is, I do not have extra cash to buy another bike to practice on, and at the same time don't want to sell this good find for a smaller bike which is only temporary. I'm thinking of finishing the MSF basic rider course for beginner....THEN hire someone locally with extensive riding experience to teach me one-on-one how to handle and correctly ride the FZ1.

If you guys know any such person that is near San Jose, CA let me know.

I'm sorry. I don't necessarily agree with others that say go for it. As a beginner rider you are going to make beginners mistakes. You will drop the bike in a parking lot, go into a turn too fast, accidentally give it too much throttle, etc...
With such a big, heavy, fast bike, the possibility of you getting seriously hurt are very good. At the very least you may get frustrated and feel the sport is not for you and give up on it all together.

My advice to you is to leave the FZ1 in your living room for now. Go back on Craig's list and find something much smaller and lighter and with a lot less power to learn how to ride. Take the MSF course, or even go to a driving school and take some lessons. Learn as much as you can. When you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, then and only then would I recommend you take out the FZ1. Trust me. You will thank me later.

I agree. The first time a car turns in front of you, and you panic, and you will, and you grab a handfull of throttle, and you will, it won't be good.
Trade the FZ for a 5-600cc.
I had this basic conversation with my son last week.

Thanks. I've been thinking about this bike for the last couple of days since I purchased it (I'd really like the way it look and fit me....though a bit heavy). As a matter of fact, my wife just call me from work early this afternoon and recommends the exact same thing you've just mentioned here. She told me to either sell this bike or keep it (but do not ride it) and buy a 250/500cc bike to practice on....Then when I've enough experience, I can take out the FZ1 and ride it.

The thing is, I do not have extra cash to buy another bike to practice on, and at the same time don't want to sell this good find for a smaller bike which is only temporary. I'm thinking of finishing the MSF basic rider course for beginner....THEN hire someone locally with extensive riding experience to teach me one-on-one how to handle and correctly ride the FZ1.

If you guys know any such person that is near San Jose, CA let me know.

If you were here in J'ville, NC, I would have not a single problem with taking you on base to our MSF course, throwing you on my CBR250, and show you some things. Then let you try the same drills on your FZ (Not mine. LOL). I have done similar before.

I would advise an empty parking lot even after the MSF course. While opinions will differ on what to practice, we will likely all agree that the BRC is a good start, but doesn't prepare you fully for a liter bike weighing over 500# on the street. Assuming you have the room in the lot, some cornering drills at say 25mph (maybe a bit more in a bigger lot?), and some stopping drills would be helpful. I would maybe add some throttling (rolling on the throttle starting small and working it up as much as safety allows) to that so you can get a feel for it, but only after you can brake confidently. Swerving is also paramount if you plan to ride in heavy traffic.

From my experience the FZ is most at home on the open road. More so than most bikes. Tight maneuvers and parking lot speeds show its top heavy nature. This is especially true if you are short like me. Put her on a highway with sweeping corners and she is right at home eating up the miles and filling you with confidence she will strip you of quickly dodging that soccer mom backing out of a parking spot at your next stop.

You have the bike, and you like it. Now, you have to learn to get it to do what you want willingly. The FZ will do that so long as you show it some respect and be smooth. I think it was a leap to get it for a first bike, but I say no worse than others I have seen.

I will add that I picked up a Virago250 for cheap as a commuter bike, and my insurance went down $5/yr. The multi-bike discount was more than the insurance for the bike. That and a 300# bike that sat low, got 90+mpg, and cost peanuts to maintain saved me far more than the cost in a few months over riding my Harley (my only other bike at the time). Maybe there is an FZ6 out there somewhere? They go pretty cheap.

Oh, and I will be in San Diego for a couple months come Monday for training. Maybe a weekend would help out? Best I can offer.

Last edited:
Ringo,
You sound like a sensible guy. You recognize that the FZ1 could be disastrous for a new person. Could be. Doesn't have to be.
Finding a small cheap bike to learn on would be very good - as you can see. Doesn't mean FZ1 is out of the picture for you.

There are a lot of cheap bikes out there. And some people a little more "desperate" to sell than others - and would be prone to sell cheaper than advertised.
And the State Motorcycle Course would provide bikes for the course - small ones.
I hope you go small - first.

If you were here in J'ville, NC, I would have not a single problem with taking you on base to our MSF course, throwing you on my CBR250, and show you some things. Then let you try the same drills on your FZ (Not mine. LOL). I have done similar before.

I would advise an empty parking lot even after the MSF course. While opinions will differ on what to practice, we will likely all agree that the BRC is a good start, but doesn't prepare you fully for a liter bike weighing over 500# on the street. Assuming you have the room in the lot, some cornering drills at say 25mph (maybe a bit more in a bigger lot?), and some stopping drills would be helpful. I would maybe add some throttling (rolling on the throttle starting small and working it up as much as safety allows) to that so you can get a feel for it, but only after you can brake confidently. Swerving is also paramount if you plan to ride in heavy traffic.

From my experience the FZ is most at home on the open road. More so than most bikes. Tight maneuvers and parking lot speeds show its top heavy nature. This is especially true if you are short like me. Put her on a highway with sweeping corners and she is right at home eating up the miles and filling you with confidence she will strip you of quickly dodging that soccer mom backing out of a parking spot at your next stop.

You have the bike, and you like it. Now, you have to learn to get it to do what you want willingly. The FZ will do that so long as you show it some respect and be smooth. I think it was a leap to get it for a first bike, but I say no worse than others I have seen.

I will add that I picked up a Virago250 for cheap as a commuter bike, and my insurance went down $5/yr. The multi-bike discount was more than the insurance for the bike. That and a 300# bike that sat low, got 90+mpg, and cost peanuts to maintain saved me far more than the cost in a few months over riding my Harley (my only other bike at the time). Maybe there is an FZ6 out there somewhere? They go pretty cheap.

Oh, and I will be in San Diego for a couple months come Monday for training. Maybe a weekend would help out? Best I can offer.

Thanks for the offer GDCPONY!! Unfortunate I won't be able to make it in San Diego due to work and family.

Ringo,
You sound like a sensible guy. You recognize that the FZ1 could be disastrous for a new person. Could be. Doesn't have to be.
Finding a small cheap bike to learn on would be very good - as you can see. Doesn't mean FZ1 is out of the picture for you.

There are a lot of cheap bikes out there. And some people a little more "desperate" to sell than others - and would be prone to sell cheaper than advertised.
And the State Motorcycle Course would provide bikes for the course - small ones.
I hope you go small - first.

Howdy Lindy. I just check on Craigslist and those guys are asking 3500 to 3700 for an old FZ6. I paid 2800 for this FZ1....and this bike is in much better conditions than all the way I saw.

Howdy Lindy. I just check on Craigslist and those guys are asking 3500 to 3700 for an old FZ6. I paid 2800 for this FZ1....and this bike is in much better conditions than all the way I saw.

It is riding season now. Prices will be up. I paid less than you for my FZ1 and either of us could flip them now for more most likely. After the riding season is over (not much of a gap where you are), the prices will drop again. Just how it works. I tell everyone to buy in the winter.

I will go against the others and say keep your bike. If you can get another, great, but if not, just proceed with caution. Any bike can be ridden by about any rider so long as they know the limits of the machine and themselves. In this case it is mostly your limits (no offense intended) and the bike's... personality you must respect.

Last edited:

:lurking:

I had a few bikes before the FZ, I had to (re)learn everything after I got it... still learning after 3 years

Here is a picture of my 2002 FZ1...its sitting in my empty living room as a trophy for now since I don't know how to ride it. :)View attachment 17301

A quick update. Now that I've completed my MSF class and start riding my bike....here is a pic of my bike sitting outside of the living-room and parked in the backyard now. :)

Attachments

• 2002 FZ1.jpg
    2002 FZ1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 89
And what do you think now?

My background, I picked up a Virago 535 and rode it for 5 years prior to the FZ1. The 535 was a GREAT bike to learn on, it was very forgiving of newb mistakes! The FZ is a great bike as well, just be VERY smooth with her; throttle, braking, leaning, all of it.

Ringo, I'm in the same situation you are. I just took the MSF course and got my license. Then I bought a 2003 FZ1. I was originally looking for 500-750cc bikes in my area but the few I saw sold before I could even get a phone call in. When the FZ1 came up I ran with the opportunity. As others have advised I have been taking it slow (even before I read this thread). I rode the bike a little before I bought it to make sure I had an idea of it's power and weight. Then, after purchasing it and trailering it home, I took it to a local empty parking lot and spent a lot of time with stopping and slow speed turns. While it is certainly much heavier and higher than the MSF bikes, and it is more difficult to execute a slow turn, I didn't have too much difficulty with it. Most of these exercises I did in first or second gear. After getting comfortable in the parking lot I rode out to my brother's house about 15 minutes away and got a taste of stoplight traffic along with 55mph speeds on the secondary road to his house. I also rode back in the dark, a new experience for me.

I've read a lot of advice, poured through how to ride books (before even taking the course), and spend a good amount of time on YouTube watching instructional videos. Like you, I know I singed up for a lot with the FZ1 but this is where my path has led and I believe I can be mature about it. I'm in no rush to go fast on the bike, I'd like to keep it and work on improving my skills and the bike. I also had an apprehension about riding the bike between the time I bought it and was able to get it registered so I could ride but came to the conclusion that the only real difference between how this bike handles and a smaller engined bike is the throttle. If I keep the RPMs low and use a lot of care with the throttle, I'd be ok. So far that plan has been working for me with a healthy dose of maturity, care, and smoothness in every action.

My 08 Gen II is my first bike, but I rode dirt bikes as a kid, then rented HD from 2000 to 2010. The FZ1 can be a handful, but I am so conservative (5,000rpm at 72mph) I can't see myself getting into trouble. I have startled myself on a few long freeway onramps above 8k rpm and had a real WTF moment.

And what do you think now?

My background, I picked up a Virago 535 and rode it for 5 years prior to the FZ1. The 535 was a GREAT bike to learn on, it was very forgiving of newb mistakes! The FZ is a great bike as well, just be VERY smooth with her; throttle, braking, leaning, all of it.

The first ride was very nerve racking and fun at the same time.....After each ride, I get less and less nervous as I learn the behavior of the bike and MOSTLY my own bad behaviors. I'm adjusting to the mistake I make such as braking too hard and shifting smoothly.

I'm glad I kept this bike....I'm practicing everyday and hopefully one day I'll be ready for riding to work during heavy rush hour with bumper to bumper traffic. Not sure when I'll be able to tread the lanes like most cyclist does, but I can wait. AT LEAST I GET TO USE THE CARPOOL LANE!!

My 1st bike was a new 1973 Z1 900 Kaw that I still have. My advise would be #1 ( LEARN HOW TO STOP AT ALL SPEEDS) #2( TAKE THE MSF COURSE) #3( RIDE DEFENSIVELY AT ALL TIMES AND AVOID BEING SURROUNDED BY TRAFFIC IF POSSIBLE AND NEVER RIDE IN BLIND SPOTS ) #4(LEARN TO OPERATE ALL THE CONTROLS WITHOUT THINKING.........This takes seat time!) #5( YOU MUST BE RELAXED TO OPERATE A MOTORCYCLE SAFELY ESPECIALLY YOUR ARMS AND HANDS) #6( LASTLY ALWAYS DRESS PROPERLY>> THE OLD SAYING IS "YOU DON'T DRESS TO RIDE.... YOU DRESS TO CRASH) Good Luck

Ringo, I'm in the same situation you are. I just took the MSF course and got my license. Then I bought a 2003 FZ1. I was originally looking for 500-750cc bikes in my area but the few I saw sold before I could even get a phone call in. When the FZ1 came up I ran with the opportunity. As others have advised I have been taking it slow (even before I read this thread). I rode the bike a little before I bought it to make sure I had an idea of it's power and weight. Then, after purchasing it and trailering it home, I took it to a local empty parking lot and spent a lot of time with stopping and slow speed turns. While it is certainly much heavier and higher than the MSF bikes, and it is more difficult to execute a slow turn, I didn't have too much difficulty with it. Most of these exercises I did in first or second gear. After getting comfortable in the parking lot I rode out to my brother's house about 15 minutes away and got a taste of stoplight traffic along with 55mph speeds on the secondary road to his house. I also rode back in the dark, a new experience for me.

I've read a lot of advice, poured through how to ride books (before even taking the course), and spend a good amount of time on YouTube watching instructional videos. Like you, I know I singed up for a lot with the FZ1 but this is where my path has led and I believe I can be mature about it. I'm in no rush to go fast on the bike, I'd like to keep it and work on improving my skills and the bike. I also had an apprehension about riding the bike between the time I bought it and was able to get it registered so I could ride but came to the conclusion that the only real difference between how this bike handles and a smaller engined bike is the throttle. If I keep the RPMs low and use a lot of care with the throttle, I'd be ok. So far that plan has been working for me with a healthy dose of maturity, care, and smoothness in every action.

Hi RennGent,

Glad to meet someone who is going through the exact same predicament. Too bad we are not neighbors otherwise we can go practice and learn from each other. I also took it on the highway last night doing about 60mph...for only 2 miles stretch then decided that's enough for now. I just wanted to see how it feel and also to make sure there is no issue with the bike at higher speed. Please do share your thoughts and learning experience as I'm in the same shoes as yourself.

By this, you mean shift down and adjust the clutch and make it act like a 3rd brake?

Yes, that is what it means. I've been doing this but once concern I have with it is that I can slow down quite well with just the engine but then I'm not engaging the brake light so a car behind me may not realize I'm slowing down. I've started to tap the rear brake when someone is right behind me so that they know. I've also switched to just using the brakes and pulling in the clutch when I know I'm going to come to a stop so that the brake light is fully engaged the whole time. Does anyone have further advice to offer here?

I, also, took my bike on the highway last night to see how it did. It went well so I'm going to take my bike to church this morning, a little over 20 miles on way. I figure a Sunday morning is a good time to get some practice on the highway as traffic will be low. During my downtown riding last night I found it tricky to ride at about 5mph with the traffic, if anyone has any suggestions on keeping it going slow I'd appreciate them!

Back