2 Yr old New tyres... Advise?

I'm buying a new bike that has been on the showroom floor for 2 years, and I am a bit concerned that I might not get the full life out of the tyres. I believe they are Dunlop D221's.
I read here Tyres-Online: Technical Information: Tyre Ageing that 6 years is the max shelf life for a tyre. If thats true then I should be ok for 2 years at least as thats what I expect to get out of them before needing new ones (as I don't ride every day and I'm a bit of a slow rider).
I just want to know what all of you think, have experienced etc...

Last edited:
normally, I'd say junk them... but... on a bike that's new to you, you'll be taking it easy starting off... hopefully.. so... take it easy, you'll break them in... and most likely, you'll get rid of them before too long... they're exactly a highly regarded tire... so you may be unhappy with them long before they wear out... Keep an eye on the tread sipes looking for dry-rot.

Yeah, first thing I thought was what va wrote. Gotta dial into a new bike and take some time, unless a pro.

What did you get?

I think the life of a tire has a lot to do with the environment in which it's used and stored. This a "new" bike so it has more than likely been stored indoors so I doubt the tires have sustained any significant degradation from sitting there in the showroom. Just enjoy the bike and I am sure you'll be ready for new tires before those are beyond their useful life.

Yeah, first thing I thought was what va wrote. Gotta dial into a new bike and take some time, unless a pro.

What did you get?

A FZ1S 08 model (12/07 build) in Blue (motor is silver).

P2030002.jpg

I just bought an '08 and the sh*tty Duncap D221's are old but I'm gonna just burn through them and get PP's on ASAP. They're junk but useable...just let them warm up after a decent amount of road time and don't trust them too much. That's what I'm doing...my strips are almost gone but I'm still riding like a girl due to these crappy tires.

Last edited:
I just bought an '08 and the sh*tty Duncap D221's are old but I'm gonna just burn through them and get PP's on ASAP. They're junk but useable...just let them warm up after a decent amount of road time and don't trust them too much. That's what I'm doing...my strips are almost gone but I'm still riding like a girl due to these crappy tires.

Yep my first thought was: Dunlops? oh crap!
But I thought, no give them a chance, they can't be that bad otherwise Yamaha wouldn't fit them.
I think i'll stick with the old addage: Go with ya gut feeling!
Dunlops? oh crap!

blessing in disquise

Maybe it's agood thing to have them on during the breakin period. Keep you from getting too crazy. Of course you could swap them out for Michellins or whatever and sell them on flea bay. :teeter:

Only time I have had problems with my stock Dunlop D221's is in 100 degree weather slipping on tar snakes. :) ...so far. I plan to bury these before I get anything stickier.

snakes

Only time I have had problems with my stock Dunlop D221's is in 100 degree weather slipping on tar snakes. :) ...so far. I plan to bury these before I get anything stickier.

Unless money is not a problem that is the wise (frugal) thing to do. I don't think it matters what brand of tire you have tar snakes and hot weather = slippery. I went over a section of back highway in British Columbia last summer in 120 degree weather that was just covered in tar snakes and it was terrible to ride on. Very unnerving. No knee dragging there!

Sound advice from all the above. Just one note, your life is worth more that a set of tires, the better the tire, the better you will feel and ride. As always safety first. :stunta]:

My FZ came on D221s also. Like others my 1st thought was oh f##k, cant wait to change these as I aint a fan. To be fair though, the Dunlops worked VERY well for the 1st 1500 miles and i LIKED THEM, especialy in the dry. But then very quickly showed the usual Dunlop traits of 'white lining' and feeling rather dangerous in the wet! 2200 miles and those babies were history and made way for some real tyres. lol.
Its strange that the Michelins feel so secure beyond 5k miles yet the Dunlops quickly feel like sh#t. I did notice that the profile squared off quick on the OE back tyre, that can never help with the 'feel'.

Why not let the dealer put new tires on the bike. When i got my bike I insisted in getting Michelins on the bike but they where not fitted when they got the bike from the factory.

So they changed the tires to michelin and i only paid for the differance in price between the tires that where fitted by the factory and the michelins i wanted. Think it was 20 EUR in total for both tires.

Since it is a new bike only 2 years old they might go for it.

Michel

I'm with VA and OLDSCHOOL in using them for break-in. Setting 'static' for two years in basicly one position with the deformation in one specific place on the tire while parked may have caused a couple 'spots'. I'd think the Dealer would have some concerns as well, liability-wise, or just plain safety-related. I'd off them in about the length of time that the break-in takes.

Keep the tires, you will use them for a while and then put on what you want. If you truly don't ride fast, you won't notice nor need anything else. I mostly commuted on the tires that I got with my bike stock and they were fine, didn't last too long, but they were fine.

If you tires make you feel less than confident, then you need to change them. You have to believe in your equipment or you need to get off your bike. You will ride differently when you don't have confidence in your bike. Just my opinion.

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone! It's made me think about it, as I was first thinking get them off! But now I think I will leave them on till the bike is run in or I'm comfortable on the bike and I no longer like the feel of them.
I will mention to the dealer (before I sign the paperwork) that I'm concerned about the tyres and suggest a sweetner to the deal in the way of a free set or a big discount on the next set. I can only ask!

I wanted to add a bit more $.02 to this thread because I'm actually going to swap out my front ASAP. I'm a front man..if I don't feel confident on the front end I'm sketched and these dunlops are serious POS. I'm gonna swap out the front for a fresh Michelin PP and leave the rear, it's always easier to get out of a rear skid than a lowside and since I ride in all weather I just don't want to take the chance. I'll get rid of it on craigslist or something...

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone! It's made me think about it, as I was first thinking get them off! But now I think I will leave them on till the bike is run in or I'm comfortable on the bike and I no longer like the feel of them.
I will mention to the dealer (before I sign the paperwork) that I'm concerned about the tyres and suggest a sweetner to the deal in the way of a free set or a big discount on the next set. I can only ask!

Seems you have not picked up the bike, i'm sure you can arrange for them to switch, throw in a better set of tires, for next to noting.

My stock tires lasted less than 2,000 miles. After a hard run in the twisty with some hard core riders, that I could not keep pace with, the front end walk out on me on every conner. It was not till the end of the run that one of my friends noticed I hand no tread at all on the left side of the front tire, looked like some one took a knife to it. That's when I started to read up on the right set of tires for my style of riding. At that time I used Mez M1 WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I rode way better due to the fact the bike was a lot more predictable in the conners suck like glue. I must say my mileage on the tires where not good at all, but I was safe and that's the most important to me and most riders. Now I use 016's even better than the M1 and M3 to me.

Your rubber should be your first propriety on a sports bike. Just food for though.

Seems you have not picked up the bike, i'm sure you can arrange for them to switch, throw in a better set of tires, for next to noting.

My stock tires lasted less than 2,000 miles. After a hard run in the twisty with some hard core riders, that I could not keep pace with, the front end walk out on me on every conner. It was not till the end of the run that one of my friends noticed I hand no tread at all on the left side of the front tire, looked like some one took a knife to it. That's when I started to read up on the right set of tires for my style of riding. At that time I used Mez M1 WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I rode way better due to the fact the bike was a lot more predictable in the conners suck like glue. I must say my mileage on the tires where not good at all, but I was safe and that's the most important to me and most riders. Now I use 016's even better than the M1 and M3 to me.

Your rubber should be your first propriety on a sports bike. Just food for though.

Yeah that is food for thought.
I've spoke to the bike dealership today and worked out a deal to get a second set of tyres cheap, I probably go with Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I can grab them when ever I want.
So as I will be easing into the bike I'll have plenty of time to use up the current rubber on it first.
The manager said the bike has only been on the showroom floor for a year and 3 months, it's never been outside in the weather so their still fresh tyres.

Back