1983 Honda NS250R -- Should I?

With that out of the way... I'd want to see it in person and give it a good shake down.... They're awesome little bikes, but built for one purpose only... because of that, they tend to be beaten on pretty good, and replacement parts aren't the easiest things to find.

I'd want a pretty comprehensive list of service records and detailed records of the work performed.

Odds are, the motor has been sleeved or bored several times, the crank may have been milled, it's probably had a few dozen clutches in it..(the 250 2-smoke clutches don't last long) and untold track damage repairs...

If there's any mushrooming from wear at the bottom of the forks (inside) replacing the lower legs can be a rather pricy endeavor...

Honestly, I'd be tempted as hell to buy it... buy I'd also fully expect that it would sit in my garage for 6 months to a year without ever being ridden from the get-go... After that, use would be limited to track days 3-6 times a year.... You're not going to set any records on it, and I wouldn't want it as my only track bike... but it'd be fun to rip around out on the track once or twice a track day, with a bigger, more modern bike waiting under the EZ-Up. .. Or... if you have a teenage kid wanting to get into racing.. it'd be a good father / son outing...

This bike is a Japanese import with 20,000 miles or so. I'm not sure what to expect out of it but certainly I could have it insured for $150 a year or something with 'collector' plates.

I am sort of worried about what it may have gone through but the reality is it would just be exactly what you say--a bike to ride a dozen times a year on Sunday, pose at Starbucks and maybe use for track days.

I've always wanted a two-stroke

Last edited:
ive certainly bought worse shape bikes than that. though bike bandit will be your friend, like my bandit bits will be hard to get for it. but if you have the cash go for it. or get it pop on a new fairing have fun then sell it for prolly a bit more.
RW

Well it looks to be in decent shape. My only concern would be rebuilding the engine if you don't know the service history on it. Chances are that it's not on the stock piston/bore by now. If you can get it down to $1500 I say go for it ;)

Back