1847 miles stock seat, my a$$ is sore

bsly

Day 01 - Salem OH to Columbus OH - 160 miles, 3 hours. Stayed overnight at friends (Yam Roadstar).

Day 02 - Columbus OH through Kentucky to Chattanooga TN - 470 miles, 11 hours (we stopped a lot, lengthy breakfast & traffic congestion on I-71). A third friend road his full dress Harley from Florida and met us in Chattanooga where we stayed at a hotel overnight. He had a longer ride but still beat us by about 15 minutes! LOL!

Day 03 - Chattanooga TN to Stecoah NC - 135 miles, 2 hours 35 minutes (beautiful ride through Cherokee Forest). Arrived at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah and set up tent camp. Later we road 80 miles round trip to the nearest Wal-mart via 28 (full of fun curves). I learned to fall behind on purpose so I could enjoy the twisties catching back up with the slow cruisers. We got snacks, beverages, & a few bits of gear at Wal-mart. Had dinner back at Stecoah Diner a mile from camp (great burgers & fries!). Sat around the fire at Iron Horse, drinking beverages & mingling with other guests. Met another forum member from FZ1OA who was camped right next to me with his 1st Gen FZ1. About midnight a fourth high school classmate who lives four hours East in NC arrived on his Suzuki Boulevard.

Day 04 - Shower and breakfast at the Iron Horse (I had eggs, sausage, toast, hash browns & OJ). The four of us road the Blue Ridge Parkway (awesome views), got off at Rt 267 descending 3500 feet in 35 minutes through the Pisgaw Forest. I coasted most of the way. Had lunch at Hawg Wild Bar-B-Que near Brevard. We drove North a ways where our Suzuki Blvd friend headed for home and the three of us headed back to camp. Had dinner at the Stecoah Diner again (Philly Steak & Cheese with Onion Rings), yummy and good prices! Fell asleep at like 8PM, exhausted.

Day 05 - Shower and breakfast. Headed to the Cherohala Skyway, we pit stopped at Deals Gap and watched hundreds of bikes come & go. Took some pics of the tree of shame and bought a T-shirt for wife. I wanted to ride the Dragon, but my friends had already done it on a prior trip and it isn’t much fun on a heavy cruiser (which they both have). The other end was blocked by a rock slide so if you rode it, you had to turn around and come back. I think I enjoyed the sweeping curves of the Skyway more than I would have enjoyed the tight turns of the Dragon anyway. I'll hit it next time! We ran into rain on the Skyway and turned back early to stay ahead of it. I broke away from my friends for about 4 miles on the Skyway and finally got some decent lean angles. Stopped for lunch at a Mexican restaurant (I forget what town). Later back at Iron Horse we had prime rib, baked potatoe & ice cream brownie desert before sitting around the fire to mingle with other guests again.

Day 06 – Shower, packed up our gear and headed for home at 7:35AM. 600 miles through NC, TN, VA, West VA & OH. Four stops for gas including a 45 minute breakfast and a 45 minute lunch. Took me 11 hours and 45 minutes to get home.

Total riding: 1847 miles. (482 miles during 3 days of camping, the rest traveling). Highest Altitude 5970 feet above sea level (day 04). 2008 Gen II FZ1 with stock seat, stock windscreen, SW Motech bar-back risers, Satan highway pegs, Mivv GP pipe, AIS blocked, header cat intact. Rider 172 lbs, excluding boots, hard armored riding jacket and helmet. Total Other Load 61lbs (17lbs hard case & 44 lbs camping gear, clothes, full rain gear, etc).

Longest distance between fill ups 163 miles, average MPG 44.57, average fuel price 2.73 per gallon, average fill up cost $7.61, total fuel used 41.73 gallons, total fuel cost $114.16. I ran a GPS tracking app on my Droid phone during the entire trip, it tracked my speed, altitude and heading in 5 to 6 second intervals almost the entire trip except for a few times I couldn’t get a satellite signal (such as the West Virginia mountains coming home).

My Gear List:
HJC Helmet w/ mirrored visor, clear glasses, Fieldsheer mesh jacket w/ CE armor, mesh gloves
Storm IM2700 locking hard case custom mounted to back seat
(dimensions approx 25 x 20 x 9, 49ltr capacity, weight 17lbs)
Alps Mountaineering Catalyst 2 tent & footprint (awesome tent bought just for this trip)
Alps Mountaineering Razor Sleeping Bag cover / Summer Bag
Marmot Trestles 30 Sleeping Bag (used between the summer bag and air pad for more comfort)
Big Agnes Sand Mountain insulated/inflating Sleeping Pad
Small Pillow bought at local department store
REI Minimalist Bivy Sack (not used, taken just in case)
Black Diamond Orbit Lantern (LED)
Panasonic FZ28 Digital Camera, Case & Accessories
Droid Eris Cell Phone & Cigarette Lighter Charger
Small Flashlight several large Ziploc freezer bags
Nylon Cooler that holds 6 bottles and ice
Waterproof PVC Duffel w/ 6 days clothing (jeans, shorts, shirts, hoody, underwear, socks, ball-cap, etc)
Non-waterproof Nylon Duffel w/ Full Rain Gear (pants, jacket, gloves, reflective vest), Sandals, towel
Personal items (first aid kit, bug spray, sunscreen, soap, shampoo, deoderant, toothpastes, shaving, etc.)
8 bungies with plastic hooks to secure both duffels to top of the hard case

I had a fabulous experience riding through the curvy hills and mountains of western North Carolina. It offered the prefect combination of motorcycle riding and the great outdoors/nature, providing some of the most spectacular views imaginable. I will go back, preferably in a car with the bikes in tow on a small trailer. The ride down and back on the FZ1 really wore me out and made me sore, but I enjoyed the experience and have no regrets. My rear end and legs are still sore after two days of rest!

Gear I didn’t have but would take next time:
A large tarp, tarp pole and cord to create an awning out over the tent.

Who was the OA member you met up with? Was it Chris?

This guy?
Image-568x758-JPG.jpg

I did my first long ride last weekend on my FZ1 also. My a$$ really hurt after 300 miles. I do think it is something I will get used to if I get a few more long trips. Up to 200 - 220 miles I have been fine.

I told Pyro that I felt like I should have trained for our trip. Like a marathon runner would before a race. :)

I agree - big diff between 200 and 400 miles in a day!

I remember the same feeling after bicycle rides of 80-100 miles in a day.... the second day is always harder!

Who was the OA member you met up with? Was it Chris?

This guy?
Image-568x758-JPG.jpg

Yes it was Chris, screen name Zephynol (I may have spelled it wrong, but that is how it sounded). Great guy, his group were the late nighters in camp! One night they rolled in at like 9PM as it was getting dark. They got caught in a hail storm that day.

Here is a crop of a wide angle shot I took of our campsite one morning, Chris just happened to be standing out by his bike.

Well neato... I figured it was Chris.. as he spent the night here the night before heading to the Gap...

Sounds like a fun trip man... but next time, you need to swing by my neck of the woods...

I did my first long ride last weekend on my FZ1 also. My a$$ really hurt after 300 miles. I do think it is something I will get used to if I get a few more long trips. Up to 200 - 220 miles I have been fine.

I told Pyro that I felt like I should have trained for our trip. Like a marathon runner would before a race. :)

I fully intended to train for the trip by taking extended rides leading up to the departure, instead I ended up running into my stairwell banister and straining muscles in my lower back about three weeks prior. I didnt think I was going to be able to go on the trip, but the doctor gave me a shot in the back and some meds that got me feeling much better in no time. Unfortunately, I didnt get any riding in prior to leaving! I had some serious hot spots after about 80 miles, but thanks to the highway pegs and high bars I had lots of options for shifting around to get through the 150 mile stretches.

I'm hoping to see some improved comfort with a Top Saddlery Seat in the near future (If I can ever afford one!).

Well neato... I figured it was Chris.. as he spent the night here the night before heading to the Gap...

Sounds like a fun trip man... but next time, you need to swing by my neck of the woods...

It was great getting to meet another forum members in person just by pure coincidence. I can't wait to get back to North Carolina to enjoy the roads and wilderness. I'll certainly make an effort to drop by. I recall Chris mentioning VA Rider when we were talking about the forums, and now that you mention it I think he did say something about being at your place the day before.

Thanks for documenting this and letting us all live vicariously through your experience! Sounds like a GREAT time and glad it was a safe trip for you all. :Rockon:

We're heading in Sept but yes, we are trailering down to Deal's Gap. ;)

Thanks for documenting this and letting us all live vicariously through your experience! Sounds like a GREAT time and glad it was a safe trip for you all. :Rockon:

We're heading in Sept but yes, we are trailering down to Deal's Gap. ;)

Sure thing, these forums have been invaluable to me when it comes to learning things about my FZ1 and riding!

I think one must not rely on other's experiences with the stock seat, to ascertain if the same will be good or bad for their own a$$.

While I believe all opinions stated about the stock seat on this thread, I have to say I'm the exception. I put 1,862 miles on the stock seat in two days of hard and fast riding, and I had no soreness on my arse...none, zero, zip.

Of course this means nothing to others, as all our arses are different ;-) lol

Not just arses, but height, weight, conditioning, etc... all key. Gear is also a factor.

So Howard, you are saying you put 931 miles a day on your FZ1? I might believe the fast but hard riding to me means a lot of braking and cornering which equals "not a lot of miles" but a lot of grins. Of course, you could have been out for 12+ hours which means an average of about 78 mph without slowing down or stopping.

Not just arses, but height, weight, conditioning, etc... all key. Gear is also a factor.

So Howard, you are saying you put 931 miles a day on your FZ1? I might believe the fast but hard riding to me means a lot of braking and cornering which equals "not a lot of miles" but a lot of grins. Of course, you could have been out for 12+ hours which means an average of about 78 mph without slowing down or stopping.

I left Bend, Oregon last Saturday morning around 9:30AM, rode north to Washington State, then east through the Idaho panhandle, then into Montana, bunked in Butte, for a total of 700+ miles that first day. Then rode the balance of the 1,800+ miles Sunday...came into Minneapolis very cold, and very tired, but the arse was never sore...Monday at work I was dragging big time, needed too much coffee to keep awake.

The best part of that ride was idaho and western Montana...lots of twisties and great fun, but after that, it was just boring straight line running all the way to MN.

Bare in mind I had (1) a crampbuster throttle helper, and (2) a Zero Gravity tall touring screen...everything else stock. I felt no worse then the prior weekend when I drove my car the same exact route. The single biggest helper was the $10 crampbuster throttle helper...that alone made this trip do-able.

Over 30 hours riding!!

Last edited:
Looks like fun! Thank you for sharing. BTW - I'm impressed with you much you were able to pack! LOL I usually just sling a duffel bag over my shoulder and hang it low enough to balance on my backseat.
I would love to take a trip like this - Thanks again.

What was the mpg on your trips?

MPG was quite good considering I had 65 lbs of gear packed on the bike, but keep in mind I was riding with a Harley and a Roadstar, so it was almost all mild mannered cruising with only the occasional blip of the throttle. I broke loose one time on the skyway for four miles of high rpm fun.

Here is my MPG and fuel pumped during the trip:
Stock tires, stock sprockets, & I weigh around 175-180 lbs without riding gear

05/26/10 - 44.35 MPG (3.63 gal)
05/26/10 - 44.64 MPG (3.36 gal)
05/26/10 - 46.99 MPG (1.66 gal)
05/27/10 - 42.25 MPG (3.20 gal)
05/27/10 - 49.05 MPG (2.90 gal)
05/28/10 - 45.73 MPG (1.99 gal)
05/28/10 - 50.21 MPG (2.37 gal)
05/29/10 - 45.27 MPG (2.47 gal)
05/30/10 - 44.19 MPG (3.28 gal)
05/30/10 - 45.58 MPG (3.66 gal)