16T sprocket change

I am looking at changing to 16t/46, has anybody ran this and can I use the stock 530 chain?. Is there much to gain from changing the rear from 45 to 46t?, or just change the front to 16t and leave the standard 45 in the rear?. anyone got any advice?

I am looking at changing to 16t/46, has anybody ran this and can I use the stock 530 chain?. Is there much to gain from changing the rear from 45 to 46t?, or just change the front to 16t and leave the standard 45 in the rear?. anyone got any advice?

The standard chain can certainly accommodate a 16/46 combo. I suggest you just do the 16T up front and see how you like it. I think you'll find that it's enough. And if not at that point it's easy enough to add a 46T rear.

Thanks mate I have taken your advice and ordered 16t first and see how that works out. Cheers

There is no best. I do everything with my FZ1, so I compromise with 16T front sprocket. On my recent track day, I could have used a little lower gearing,

Like Mike says, you can't have it all. The nice thing about sprocket changes is that they're cheap and easy so you can customise it to your ever-changing needs. :)

I had both setups. I'm currently run at 16/46 (with stock DID chain) and i stay at 16/46. 46 gives you just that little extra with nearly comprising the comfort for highway use. MUCH better low / mid power. It just feel more snappy and goes fasther though the gears like a 1000cc bike should :)

And... with 16/46 and 190/55 there is no comprise and on the topspeed. I thought about a 15T but i think that wil hurt the comfort for highway use due to higher RPM's.

Last edited:
Back