16T sprocket change

torquewhore

Are there any pro/cons regarding going down a tooth up front instead of going up one or two teeth in the rear?

I want to do a tooth change, but I remember someone saying to me in the past that smaller sprocket up front can lead to increased chain wear as the chain has to make a tighter bend around the smaller diameter... thoughts?

Also - how much / how difficult are the speedo healers to install/procure?

I definitely want to be able to reach top speed no matter which sprocket gets changed. (If I don't sell it)

One tooth down in the front would be the equivalent of about three teeth up in the back. Probably doable, but on some bikes there could be an issue with the chain length by going up three teeth in the back.

I can relate to your concern about the increased chain wear, but I think going from a 17T to 16T up front is fine. Gen I FZ1's had a stock 16T up front by the way. And that is what I would recommend that you use if you want to drop it one in the front.

Speedohealers are plug and play so very easy to install. If you don't have a GPS to calibrate it you can just use a buddy in a car next to you or use one of the online calculators to get a percentage of error. I would say a safe number would be around 10% for our bikes to account for -1 tooth up front and to correct the speed error that already existed from the factory.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people drop one tooth in the front with no problems on the FZ1, FZ6 and FZ6R bikes. Dropping more than one is where the issues start to come into play.

Now, this is, of course, done as a cheap performance mod. Has anyone ever gone UP a tooth in the front for a touring mod? Just asking.... I'd not do this to the FZ1 but I've considered it for her FZ6R because she's hitting high RPMs on the highway where I'm still wondering if I want 6th gear.

I've seen a lot of people drop one tooth in the front with no problems on the FZ1, FZ6 and FZ6R bikes.

Every person on the planet with half a brain will drop at LEAST 1 tooth off the front of a Gen2 FZ1. Improves the bike in every single way.

Dropping more than one is where the issues start to come into play.

Negative. There are no issues that would ever, or could ever come into play. Ran a 15T front of both my 06 and 07 FZ1 for many many miles with no issues.

Now, this is, of course, done as a cheap performance mod. Has anyone ever gone UP a tooth in the front for a touring mod? Just asking.... I'd not do this to the FZ1 but I've considered it for her FZ6R because she's hitting high RPMs on the highway where I'm still wondering if I want 6th gear.

Negative. There is not enough room with the steel chain guide in the case area to do so, and the bike would be not be able to be ridden even if it did fit. It would stall and be very hard on the clutch, not to mention slow as shit.

Sprocket changes

I recently decided to change my sprocket ratios. I do a lot of interstate riding and I really wasn't that happy around town and on the interstate with my roll on torque so to speak. I talked with a lot of Yamaha parts people and got lots of advise about dropping 1 tooth on the front. I decided to buy a new OEM front sprocket, a new 530 DID chain and add three teeth to the rear (48) teet vs. OEM 45. I can tell you it makes a huge difference in how my bike responds. I do not have a FCE, no power commander but I do have a Yoshi pipe. I was considering buying a BUSA because I wanted a little more go power. My wife has a GSXR 1000 and she kept spanking me badly up through the gears and also on top end as you might expect. Not so much any more. My bike is prone to wheelie in first if you hit it hard, however it is controlable and the difference in performance was totally worth it. I am sure a power commander, fuel cut off eliminator and few other tricky additions would make it even better. I no longer have the desire for the BUSA, I love my bike and if I feel the need for top end speed, I can always get on her gsxr and run down the interstate at 185 or so because it does have that top end ability that my bike doesnt have. My bike has about 21,000 miles no problems but I do notice the throttle problems people talk about. I know that can be cured and if it gets to annoying I will fix that. My bike is a million times more comfy than the gsxr. My neck hurts after about 20 minutes on the gsxr as well as my wrists and arms (I weight 250). My spedo is off about 10 miles per hour at 80 or so based on my wifes gsxr spedo which is completely stock. I like the rear sprocket change philosphy as opposed to front. I waited until I thought it was time to change the chain and did it all at once. It was a great decision for me, save me thousands of dollars because I dont have a desire to get any other bike now. There is a web site out there called sprocket commander or something like that and it will tell you the rpm difference with sprocket changes as well as speedometer changes. The difference in performance for me was worth the 250 I spent on new sprockets and chain. If I bought a brand new FZ1 I would do the same thing the day I picked it up.

I like the rear sprocket change philosphy as opposed to front.

Why?

The difference in performance for me was worth the 250 I spent on new sprockets and chain.

Just for reference to the new owners, aftermarket chain and sprocket sets can be had for around $175 to $220 to your door...sometimes even less.

Having a bad day?

Yeeaaaa, could have put that nicer I guess. Being neck deep in bikes turns me into a bit of a "bike snob" at times.

However the original statement stands true ;)

To recap, a sprocket change of any kind is a VERY worthwhile modification to this bike. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Every person on the planet with half a brain will drop at LEAST 1 tooth off the front of a Gen2 FZ1. Improves the bike in every single way.

I don't question this with the FZ1. If you had actually paid attention JD, you'd understand that this question was directed at my wife's FZ6R. We are not fortunate enough to live where there are tons of twisty roads and sparse LEOs. Most of our riding is touring. She's not concerned about being "first off the line" nor is she going out racing. She rides for pure enjoyment. When we do find twisties, I take off and wait for her at the end and she's fine with that. Her bike is VERY short on gearing.

JonDaddy82 said:
Negative. There are no issues that would ever, or could ever come into play. Ran a 15T front of both my 06 and 07 FZ1 for many many miles with no issues.

I have read several threads on other forums where dropping two or more teeth caused a lot of chain problems. Nice to know you've not had issues. Was this with the stock chain and OEM rear sprocket?

JonDaddy82 said:
Negative. There is not enough room with the steel chain guide in the case area to do so, and the bike would be not be able to be ridden even if it did fit. It would stall and be very hard on the clutch, not to mention slow as shit.

If this was about the FZ1, I'd agree somewhat. But my question isn't regarding the FZ1 at all. And I doubt that it would run like sh*t based on one extra tooth in the front. I can see your point as you live for hole shots and getting down the stretch faster than the guy in the other lane, but there aren't many of us out here that use the FZ1 as a drag bike like yourself. Some of us *actually* ride for pure enjoyment and do a lot of touring on the bike.

Hope that clarifies the original question so you can actually add valued input instead of :wilynily: ;)

Actually, most of that information still holds true to the FZ6R, some of it even more so. I have owned an R6, so I am familiar with the output type and powerband of your wife's bike. An extra tooth up front would possibly make it harder for her to take off from stoplights, thus reducing her riding enjoyment. The gearing of her bike is appropriate to the engines powerband really, gearing up would most likely make it less efficient.

Going 2 teeth in the front is the max for most all bikes. Even some 600cc Kawasaki SS's run a 14T front sprocket on a regular basis for reference. I have run my 15T front sprockets with the stock rear sprocket and chain literally from day one of ownership on each bike, as many other people have done as well. There is just no mechanical reason for a failure with proper adjustment.

And extra tooth added to the front is almost 3 teeth to the rear...hardly a mild change on a 600cc machine with a TQ output of around 40. My bike rarely makes it to the track. It is my commuter in addition to weekend fun toy. I have done many long days on it, hence the reason I no longer own an R6. On my TN/NC trip last year I logged more than 2K miles in less than a week. Just an FYI ;)

sprocket

The $250 included the installation of the new OEM front sprocket the DID 530 x ring chain and a 48 tooth steel rear sprocket. I did check and know that I can get a lesser expensive chain and lesser expensive sprockets. I ordered them took one look at the quality and returned them to the dealer for a full refund and delivery of what is stated above. Sorry I wasn't paying attention about the FZ6 as opposed to FZ1, I guess I just read the discussion a little too fast and got mixed up. Having owned a FZ6 prior to my 06 FZ1 I can understand why the discussion took a little different track. I think the heading 16T sprocket change caught my eye most and I was thinking about the research I did before I went out and bought the larger rear sprocket. Anyway sorry it wasn't much help.

No worries guys... Her FZ6R is very low in gearing. It hits pretty high RPMs where my FZ1 is still wondering if 6th gear is really needed. So, because she isn't out to drag a knee and loves to go touring instead, I might want to make her ratio a bit taller to stretch out her RPMs a bit.

No, on the FZ1, I know I can loose a tooth. I have a hard time finding a use for 6th gear and I always want more out of 1st gear. It is planned, just not this year. I had too many priorities ahead of it. ;)

The FZ6R gearing is actually pretty relaxed for that engine. My R6 came stock with 16/48, and most everyone upgraded to 15/50. Now that was some pretty aggressive gearing.

The FZ6R gearing is actually pretty relaxed for that engine. My R6 came stock with 16/48, and most everyone upgraded to 15/50. Now that was some pretty aggressive gearing.

What is your experience with the FZ6R Jon? I ask because it is brand new and you seem to know enough about it. The FZ6R is an even more detuned engine than the R6-based FZ6 engine. The FZ6R lost another 20 hp which is quite significant. The gearing was changed to suit the engine but was made too low after all my runs on her bike. It's almost as if they DID do the one tooth drop in the front from the start but it was too much. 1st is quite a knee jerk and you can start out of the hole in 2nd almost easier.

I have owned the '05 FZ6, the '08 FZ6 and we now have the '09 FZ6R and '09FZ1 in the stable. Thus, I've ridden the entire FZ lineup over the last 4 years. Personal experience with each model means I know what I'm talking about. 33 years on two wheels says a lot too.

I'll simplify it... in your own words, your "bike snob" is showing through. :poke: :icon_beer:

I'm on a 09 FZ1 Gen2, bought it used couple weeks ago. Far as I can tell its stock sprockets and chain. If i go to the 16T in the front do i need a new chain or can i run the stock chain on it with out cutting it or whatever.

Thanks.

You can run the stock chain with the single tooth change. Just be sure you adjust the chain properly and align the rear wheel perfectly and you're all set!

-Eric

I'm planning going to a 16T in order to make it more wheelie-friendly. Right now in first gear it mostly spins, and in second it doesn't lift enough at low speeds. What kind of behavior will I get with a 16T front sprocket ?

Observe that I'm new on this bike and haven't figured it all out yet - it's winter outside, so limited time on dry pavement.

Are there any pro/cons regarding going down a tooth up front instead of going up one or two teeth in the rear?

I want to do a tooth change, but I remember someone saying to me in the past that smaller sprocket up front can lead to increased chain wear as the chain has to make a tighter bend around the smaller diameter... thoughts?
You are infact correct here on the transition of dirrection with the smaller radius of the smaller sprocket.
Also - how much / how difficult are the speedo healers to install/procure?

I definitely want to be able to reach top speed no matter which sprocket gets changed. (If I don't sell it)
Sell it?..........snap out of it Man...

Back