16t front sprocket

Stevierst

I know that dropping a tooth off the front sprocket is a well recognised tuning 'must' for the gen2, but I have a few queries about it before I fit one.
How far out does it throw the Speedo?
How badly does it affect the gas mileage?
Anyone own up to the new top speed? :eek:
If there are any other problems people have come across with this sprocket, please put it on here.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!

I know that dropping a tooth off the front sprocket is a well recognised tuning 'must' for the gen2, but I have a few queries about it before I fit one.
1. How far out does it throw the Speedo?
2. How badly does it affect the gas mileage?
3. Anyone own up to the new top speed? :eek:
4. If there are any other problems people have come across with this sprocket, please put it on here.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!

1. ~10.4% Too far for me. I got a Speedo DRD to correct it.
2. Mine did not change
3. The top speed should increase as the bike would not pull 6th (stock gearing) WFO after a while.
4. Only negative is ~500 more RPMs at highway speeds

Last edited:
Mine will be getting the 16T change at my 600 mile service. I'll have to see if I object enough to the speedometer inaccuracy to remedy it. I am usually not on the slab for any length of time, so 500 extra RPM probably won't bother me. Far more FZ1 owners on the forums have liked this change than have objected to having done so.

Jeff

you will want the change your speedo after the swap it will run up the miles on your bike faster. I think I am ay 7.8 right now but I am running a 190/55/17 rear which is just a hair taller tire. I can get up to 40's if I am just putting...down in the high 20's if I am playing. Top speed how fast you want to go 150+

Last edited:
I fitted the 16t on my FZ yesterday and am amazed at the difference. In-town riding is a lot easier. I am inclined to think that the in-town mpg will increase. I havent stretched it out on the highway yet but 500 rpms isnt that much. I am very happy in just the 1 day Ive had mine.

Matt

Just did mine too and boy does it change the machine. If I didn't know better I'd think it's growling at me. I'm with Matt, the extra RPM's aren't a big deal. I thought the speed was off, I didn't think I could go that fast that fast. Which speedo healer do you guys recommend?

I picked up a Speedo DRD used myself. It works great, it's easy to program and it's the least expensive option out there. New they go for $70.

Back