16 tooth sprocket

Well, I came off a GenI, but everyone I ever met with a GenII that went to a 16T front always had only stellar things to say about the difference in low end power. It's by far the quickest and easiest "bang for your buck" fix for the GenII's. I'm sure that plenty of GenII owners will chime in with their thoughts on the subject.

Well the FZ1 has a very tall first gear (same as the R1) so a 16T front sprocket helps considerably. You can also go up a tooth or two in the rear. A lot of folks run the -1/+1 combo and are really happy with it. The only drawback is higher revs on the highway, but 6th gear becomes very usable. No need to downshift when passing (unless you want to pass in a hurry :)).

I would definitely take a CB1000R for a test ride.
They are supposed to handle unreal and are a newer tech bike than the FZ1N.
If they had one in red here in Oz, I would have bought one over my FZ1N.

The 16T front sprocket helps a bit but these Yamaha engines really don't get going until after 7000 rpm.

The 16T front sprocket will help you get to 7000 rpm quicker.

No difference in low/midrange power at all. It just moves the rpm up for a given gear at a given speed and may increase top speed if the motor will pull 6th gear to 12,000 rpm. That said, even with a 16 tooth front, my 09 will only go a MINIMUM of 10 mph. Not real fun in stop & go traffic.

Cheers,

MrHix

I chaned to a 16t shortly after i got my fz and loved it, untill i more recently went +2 in the rear aswell, now i really love the bike! Works with stock chain but i instaled a speedodrd to correct speed. The bike will power wheelie in 2nd gear no problem

Last edited:
If you plan on doing it yourself you will need a 37mm socket and boy was mine tight !!!!
bar through rear wheel and long bar on the socket,little bloke and lots of effort,,oh and 32mm for rear wheel.

Billy

If you plan on doing it yourself you will need a 37mm socket and boy was mine tight !!!!
bar through rear wheel and long bar on the socket,little bloke and lots of effort,,oh and 32mm for rear wheel.

Billy

I used a 2' breaker bar, stood on the brake, and stomped on the bar with the other foot. No problems.

Cheers,

MrHix

Billy

I'd be very carefull about the bar through the rear wheel......I think someone on this site damaged (dented or cracked) their rear swing arm.

I went with the 16t for a time. Not enough for me. Went with the 15t front sprocket next. That's what did it! Wow...now that was a difference there. Got a Speedo DRD to fix the speedometer error, and it's correct now. With the Yosh TRC full system, no flies or spindle, opened air box, filter, FCE, PC3 with Ivan's map, the bike is a certifiable monster, I think. It's got a lot more low end and mid-range, and the top end is just scary sometimes, feeling like the bike is going to come out from under me. It was well worth it. I don't know about the CB1000R, but I've got the bike handling pretty good with stock stuff. 15 tooth is worth a look...

Back