1400 mile ride prep?

gdcpony

I am prepping for a 1400 mile ride, so tomorrow is maintenance day. Fuel cleaner went in today. I leave on Tuesday, so hopefully I don't find any major issues. Tomorrow, I will be changing her oil for the first time since I had her. I will also be checking the plugs, controls, tires and other such items. Standard checks, but I am always nervous prepping for such a long trip for the first time on a new bike.

I have made this length trip (and longer), but this will also be going solo for the first time ever on such a long ride. The usual ride for this is to do it on my Sporty. Usually I have a chase vic in the form of my wife driving the kids behind me (and one of those tend to be riding two up with me). So any issues that pop up en-route will have to be dealt with right then.

Anything I should be looking for that is pretty bike specific to the 2002 FZ1?

Although not bike specific, I would check the battery and the charging system with a multi-meter to make sure you don't have it let you down along the way. The obvious like tire pressure and condition, as well as the chain's condition are good ideas as well.

Have a fun and safe trip!

1400 mi really isn't very far....change the oil/filter, and check over the usual things like chain tension, tire condition, and battery. Be sure to pack a tool kit, tire repair kit, and chain lube. Other than that there isn't too much to do before setting sail. And if your m/c insurance policy doesn't have a towing endorsement I would set that up....it's usually only $10 a year or so but can be valuable in case you really have a problem alongside the road that you can't fix. And bring the applicable phone numbers for insurance, just in case.

Last edited:
1400miles isn't that far. Especially in the states where you're never far from civilization. Only thing I would pack is a credit card and a AAA membership.

Don't overthink it, just have fun.

Yeah, I know it should be simple, but like I said first time on this bike. I know the bike ain't perfect, but it is running well. I make the checks on the Sporty too, but I KNOW that bike a bit more than this one just by association.

Since I bought the bike for these trips as I tend to corner too hard for the cruiser to handle, it will be a trip to figure out any last odds and end mods to add to my to-do list on it. For example, I might move the bars back and up a bit afterwards, or maybe drop the suspension settings which are set pretty firm right now. Just need to make sure her maiden voyage across state lines goes well.

I have put about 2k on her in the month or so I have had her. Tomorrow I will be adding a charger for the phone as well and borrowing a BT set that I will be testing before I buy a couple for the wifey and I to use. My phone is usually in my bag, but I may mount it as well. The FZ1 has a ton more room for these kind of changes than a naked cruiser.

I have a court date to make (evicting my tenants in OH) so this trip isn't a pleasure cruise. I took three days off; Tuesday up, Wed court and back, Thursday just in case.

Bumming for the reason of your trip. It's never fun having to fo than.

Regardless, enjoy the ride and the time off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Bumming for the reason of your trip. It's never fun having to fo than.

Regardless, enjoy the ride and the time off.

I am too big of a softy. I let them go on sob stories for too long. We got the house back, so this court date is to decide how much they owe for damages, rent, and legal fees. They tore the house up pretty good so the bill is coming close to $9k which we will probably never see. So long as we get the judgement it will be on their credit and background checks so at least they will have a record.

On the bright side, it is a trip on a bike I love riding. All slab on the way up for time, but who knows on the way back. I know quite a few routes that involve twisting roads and great scenery (ie. Midlands trail, US250 from OH to VA, and the Blue Ridge) Maybe I might detour a bit to wear the sides down on the tires.

In any case, charger is in, oil changed, touring wind screen on, and the chain is lubed. The coolant was pretty clean (Still wish I had a temp gauge), and the tires are good too. My gear is ready and I even swapped the brake light sensor from my CBR to it so the light on my helmet will work with my brakes. I found the air box modded and a K&N in it already! Awesome, but it might explain why it seems to need a jet kit so bad. Slip on, Air filter changes and factory jetting? Not good from what I have read about these bikes.

Last edited:
If it were my bike I'd jet it. Any more all of my bikes are jetted or flashed. Once you've ridden a nicely tuned bike it's hard to go back to stock.

If it were my bike I'd jet it. Any more all of my bikes are jetted or flashed. Once you've ridden a nicely tuned bike it's hard to go back to stock.

In the plans, but not before the trip. I have a school to go to in CA, and after that a family move to where ever the Corps sends me next. Once that is over (about July). A jet kit and some luggage is being added. For now, I will deal with the stock set up.

Trip complete. Back home now. Boy was it a dandy of a trip! Blown tire, deer, operator forgetfulness, and of course saddle pains.

Write up to come.

I am ever impressed at my FZ's ability to make you forget you are on a liter bike once moving. My Sporty is an angel on your shoulder letting you know that you can cruise easily all day long, happy at 50 or 80 as you sit back and enjoy the ride.The FZ on the other hand is the devil on the other shoulder. It whispers at you to twist the throttle a little more. "C'mon you know you want to," it sings to you. Multiple times I found myself eating miles at 45seconds (maybe 30 once?) each and had to back down a bit to run with traffic.

I have made this trip on 5 different bikes, so I am pretty familiar with the ride. I had not packed much, but was certain I had what I would need. Boy was I wrong. Sitting in a ziploc bag back home was some tools and the chain lube. Not a huge deal as I could pick up what I needed pretty cheaply, but still funny.

Early Tuesday morning I started out flying down the back roads on my way towards I40. Once on the slab, I settled in for a long cruise. The FZ is definitely a nice machine to sit on for a good bit, but it is not the Harley. The Corbin seat is a little firm for me, but definitely better than standard sport bike issue. I imagine it is my sitting too far forward due to the bars. The bars are a little forward for my short self, but a set of risers will soon bring then up and back 1x1.25" as suggested elsewhere.

That is where the bad ends. This bike loves to run. As I said in the opening, it is ever tempting you even on the slab. With the power to put traffic packs in your rear view and the handling to avoid those texting idiots I seem to attract.

Mile after mile I went until I finally saw the little light saying time to get some gas and stretch my legs a little. I had traveled 210 miles when I stopped and gotten 48mpg at 80mph! Oh this was good. I would have made it back in awesome time had I not decided to take some time off the slab around US52.

I had never been on this road, but it crosses my usual slab route multiple times (I74 and I77), so I took it and never regretted it. Nice scenery, good curves. If you aren't in a hurry along those routes, I highly recommend the detour. I wish I had taken pics for you all, but I was busy enjoying it.

I cut back on to 77 right around the WV/VA line. By then it was raining in spurts. Then it was slab all the way up to OH. The curves through the WV Turnpike are oh so tempting on a bike like the FZ. I enjoyed them a bit more than I should have, but the rain had petered out and the roads were drying already. Usually, I would cut across the Midlands Trail as well, but I was looking to be running later than I wanted. Soon I was back on schedule.

So I cut off again as it cooled down into the 40's and kept my temp up on the OH curves and hills. The bike wanted to run, but I was taking it easy for fear of deer. Funny that I saw only one on the way up. I finally got in to my in-laws at around 2200 a full 14 hours after starting out.

I will add the trip back soon. It was by far more... Interesting. A few pics for you all:

883348_725022180882233_8228504593691663288_o.jpg

Gas stop. I averaged about 49mpg for the whole trip and I wasn't trying to save gas either.

1506064_725019134215871_363488845336208677_n.jpg

I thought I could coax a pony over, but I guess not.

10296604_725019890882462_8872565204956497877_n.jpg

Some time away from the slab!

So glad your having a good time on your GenI. Definitely a fine ride for longer trips. Thanks very much for the photos and for taking some time to write about your travels. Always happy to read other rider's stories of their trips. Have fun and stay safe!:Rockon:

Good job Grasshopper. See how easy LD riding can be, won't be long and you will be planning multi state/days rides that will take you farther than you ever thought you would do. Nice report, waiting for more pictures.

Good job Grasshopper. See how easy LD riding can be, won't be long and you will be planning multi state/days rides that will take you farther than you ever thought you would do. Nice report, waiting for more pictures.
Not many more pics to post up, but I will get the second part up soon.

I have made long trips. This was just the longest solo one. I won't lie, I would prefer a partner. Gets kinda boring without anyone there to share the ride with. I can't wait till the wife and oldest are ready for their first long haul! I am thinking I ,might solo it to the Dragon after recruiters school this summer though. There is no way they would be ready for that in time.

Sorry for the delay. I am in school to learn how to recruit new Marines (any takers??).

For the trip back I left later in the day than I wanted, but made great time out of OH and into WV. At Charleston I decided that the Midlands Trail was going to be my route. Before starting down it, I was checking out my front tire as it had been acting weird since the OH line. Not bad mind you, but I really noticed it as I got off the slab and on to the back roads.

Imagine my shock to see a bulge running just to the right of center all the way around my tire. The left side had been severely worn, and the right looked barely rode on. I needed a new one and fast. With several calls I found only one shop that could help me out so I got a new Michelin put on for $200. Since it was the same tire that went south on me I have trouble trusting it, but that was all they had and everywhere else was closed.

With my timing now late, I skipped on the trail and put the new rubber down the WV Turnpike. The same as the way up the bike just kept trying to get me to go a little faster with its evil whispering and smooth riding. I won't say I gave in, but I did make it down in time to take US52 once again through VA and into NC.

Once again I can't say enough about this road for an alternative to the slab of I77 south there. It was dark by the time I was done which was quite a pity since I wanted more pics from this part. In fact, I got in a hurry up until then with the late start and front tire that I only took one pic the whole way back. Sorry, guys.

10252070_725018814215903_8253650757911788143_n.jpg

I ran this corner a couple times and pulled off to the side road for the pic. Nice hairpin that really surprises you!

The rest of the ride was flat and dark flying down I40 east. BORING! The bike was easy to ride and the headlights cast a good broad path before me. Good thing since there were deer in sight almost constantly from the time I rolled off my exit until I got home (about 30 miles or so). The horn had little effect on those dang things. However, a bark of the engine from a quick throttle twist sent them scurrying back into the woods and brush. Why I can't see that many during deer season, I don't know. Dang it!!!

It was about 0200 by the time I rolled into my garage. I checked the bike over, gave her a little hug as that was our last ride before 2 months of separation, and went inside. I ended up averaging 49mpg, put 1713 miles on her, and can now say she is my new touring bike. Once back from school, I will be moving and taking some vacation so I hope to put a trip to the Dragon on her then. We shall see!

Excellent! Thanks.
I know what you mean about replacing a gone bad tire with the exact same model. But, chances are it was just a fluke with the fist one. Sounds like broken cords. Coulda been a defect but it coulda been due to a curb hit - something like that. I've seen it before - it's pretty easy to damage the cords with a tire collision - especially a side blow like a from a curb. And you did buy the bike from someone else - so who knows what he did.

Marines?? What's in it for me? Why should I consider?
(You don't have to answer - just couldn't help it)

Excellent! Thanks.
I know what you mean about replacing a gone bad tire with the exact same model. But, chances are it was just a fluke with the fist one. Sounds like broken cords. Coulda been a defect but it coulda been due to a curb hit - something like that. I've seen it before - it's pretty easy to damage the cords with a tire collision - especially a side blow like a from a curb. And you did buy the bike from someone else - so who knows what he did.

Marines?? What's in it for me? Why should I consider?
(You don't have to answer - just couldn't help it)
The potholes are pretty bad up there so...

Oh c'mon, you know you want to join! How about free trackdays!

Back