10 Motorcycle Myths

#11 - Riding a motorcycle is cheaper.

My FZ regularly got about 30-34 MPG... but tires were more expensive, and needed to be replaced much more often than tires on the car... insurance was higher, associated gear is higher, chain replacements, sprocket replacements, etc.... It was easily as expensive as driving the car, if not a bit more.... coupled with the comfort issues and feasibility of making it a daily driver... with Givi 360's on the sides and top rack, I could do a small grocery store run, but it's no fun riding home with a gallon of milk, 12 pack, and a dozen eggs in the saddlebags..

My FZ regularly got about 30-34 MPG... but tires were more expensive, and needed to be replaced much more often than tires on the car... insurance was higher, associated gear is higher, chain replacements, sprocket replacements, etc.... It was easily as expensive as driving the car, if not a bit more.... coupled with the comfort issues and feasibility of making it a daily driver... with Givi 360's on the sides and top rack, I could do a small grocery store run, but it's no fun riding home with a gallon of milk, 12 pack, and a dozen eggs in the saddlebags..

I totally agree.

If you ride a bike like a KLR for commute it is probably a little bit more justified though. it is not as comfortable though, that's for sure.

Motorcycles ARE cheaper. Your example is a bit daft because an FZ1 is like the motorcycle equivalent of a BMW M3. I bet it's cheaper to run an FZ1 than an M3! If you compared an econobox car to an econobox bike, the bike will be cheaper. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, probably cheaper to insure depending on where you live. Less convenient, for sure, but cheaper.

I think it's a fair comparison... the FZ is a jack of all trades, not a supersport... it's the Subaru of the motorcycle world... not the M3/M5...

The M3 is a well made, practical sedan with a fast engine, big brakes and good handling. It's not quite a sports car but it can keep up to them in the right hands.

The FZ1 is a well made, practical standard bike with a fast engine, big brakes and good handling. It's not quite a sports bike but it can keep up to them in the right hands.

You could liken it to a WRX STI along the same lines as well. But to say "it's the Subaru of the motorcycle world" is like saying the FZ1 is 'the Kellogg's of the cereal world', it means nothing. Subaru makes a whole line of hateful boxes with terrible interiors and motors better suited inside tractors

Last edited:
In my case the Motorcycle is cheaper because my old Daily Driver is a turbo Charged Subaru STI, 18-22 mpg, Premium gasoline and tires that do not last super long either.

I think this is a case by case scenario. A small econobox that gets 35mpg, has small light tires that last 80k miles and can go 10k between oil changes is probably cheaper to operate than many motorcycles.

You also need to factor in initial cost so you can do a total cost of ownership.

All that said, my motorcycle is still waaaaaaay faster for my daily commute because I can lane share when the traffic is bad, which is every morning and every afternoon. I save between 40-60 mins of time off my commute each day. No Car can do that for me.

Myth #12 - Lane Sharing is more dangerous than not lane sharing.....

I came to the conclusion that having a motorcycle is not cheaper to drive but it sure is good entertainment. I think its like having the ability to ride a roller coaster whenever you want to :)

The 'Accidents Happen Slowly' is all relative. My first accident, seemed, fast, the second seemed slow and the third was fast.

Also the people that lose a bit of time just before the accident may be a sign of concussion.

Myth #12 - Lane Sharing is more dangerous than not lane sharing.....

I want to support or start a campaign for lane sharing laws in other states (especially IL, since I live here). I'm not sure how to go about it. I used to think it was a stupid idea and no one should ever do it, but I now have the opposite opinion. Plus, if you think it's dangerous, just don't do it.

Are they any good reads about lane sharing?

I have never actually done it, I know several people who ride that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them ridding right beside me and trust they hold their line a foot and a half away from me

Are they any good reads about lane sharing?

When I talk to people about it I ask them how many accidents on the freeways are front to back vs side to side, and then I ask them to imagine a motorcycle Inbetween either kind of accident.

Two years ago a motorcyclist was killed because he did not lane share and was rear ended and smashed between two cars when traffic came to a stop.

Based on my personal experience lane sharing every day in my commute to and from work for over two years now I feel it is safer to do so than to sit in traffic and risk getting smashed between two cars.

Back